Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

How not to get 'Boned' flying the Bone.

In anticipation of the B-1Bs release for SFP1/WOV/WOE, I figured I'd come up with a quick employment primer for those looking to lay the smack down old school style.

This discussion will not deal with modern B-1B employment (ie at medium/high altitude with JDAMs). Instead, this will deal with late 80s/early 90s conventional employment with mass attack weapons(Mk 82s and CBUs).

Speed, speed, and, oh yeah, speed!

We hear all the time more than a few fighter cliches': "Speed is life", "Don't be out of airspeed, altitude and ideas","Some of the most useless things are runway behind you, altitude above you, and airspeed you don't have". These are all good summaries, and especially apply to Bone operations. However, we do give up altitude for the low-level enviroment. So, for low level B-1B ops, the formula is: Speed minus altitude = respect for your surroundings.

Don't be that guy with your hair on fire who promptly splatters himself on the rocks because he wasn't paying attention. The PK of the ground is 99.9% and they don't call her 'Mother' Earth for nothin'...

Why 'Heavy Metal' Rocks!

Heavy bombers give you advantages that a fighter can't give you without a lot of support.

Weapons mix and match. Bombers can carry multiple types of weapons in one aircraft. A B-1B in particular can carry 3 types of weapons (and a lot of them) at the same time (Mk82s for runway attack, CBUs for anti-personnel, and JDAMs for hardened shelters).

Multiple targets. One aircraft can attack different targets (and even different types of targets) in one flight.

Range and loiter. Bombers by their very nature have tons more fuel, translating into greater range/loiter time...reducting tanker support.

Flexibility. This all adds up into a platform than can do several things in one mission, from CAS, runway denial all the way to strategic attack like power stations, C&C nodes, etc. And can provide multi-wave support and retasking. And the Bone brings one more thing to the table.

Response time. Because of the Bones' speed, it can quickly respond to pop-up taskings with minimal travel time...something no other bomber in the inventory can do as quickly, and most fighters can't do because of range issues.

Advantages of 'penetrating' fast and low.

The low altitude enviroment (less than 1k) provides several advantages for a high speed bomber.

Short horizon distance. The lower you are, the closer the threat needs to be before he 'sees' you over the horizon...which translates to less time to detect, track, and engage for him.

Stealth. Ground based detection systems have less range the lower you go...increasing your chances of staying hidden until on the attack run.

Night/adverse weather. Because of the B-1Bs TF system, you can stay low and fast in bad weather or at night. Airborne threats may have more issues attempting successful engagement in this enviroment due to lack of those same TF systems. More than one fighter has ran out of gas or collided with the ground trying...

Some things to consider about the 'fast and low'.

A bomber is not a fighter! You don't have the G's available to rate turn defeat a missle...and any turns you make for an airborne threat simply provides closure. Your best defense (besides certain manuvers to defeat radars, jamming techniques, and expendibles) is to RUN!

Your turns at 9 miles a minute (540 knots) are huge! Don't be making egress turns that put you right over another threat because you didn't take that into account.

You are a level bombing platform. No pop-ups, dive attacks, or loft bombing. Also, because you carry all weapons internally, you can't be in a bank while dropping...otherwise you risk putting a weapon into a bomb bay door. This means, at some point on the target run, you have to either abort the run entirely, or disregard manuvering for threats to get your 'stick' on proper alignment for the target.

Length of your 'stick'. A B-1B can carry 84 500 lb GP bombs or 30 CBUs. It takes time to puke all those weapons out in a full bay drop. At the minimum, 20ms interval ripple time, a full bay drop takes 1.7 seconds, and will take up almost 1600 feet of length. This works out to a bomb interval of 18 feet between bomb impacts (which gives a high probability of failure due to fracticide). So, either less speed (not a good idea), less bombs (maybe, except for a runway attack), or greater ripple interval (which makes your stick bigger...so to speak).

You are faster than most aircraft down low. Most fighters do not have a 540 knot run in speed except in short speed dashes. You (in a B-1) do 540 knots while smoking a Lucky...and can exceed Mach 1+ without much effort.

'Bone-ing' the enemy, and living to tell (or Don't Tell) about it.

Plan, plan and plan! Determine your optimum threat and attack axis early. Give yourself a range of degrees for attack if you can. This may be easy for point attacks, harder for things like runways or a row of parked aircraft.

Take what you need. Have the proper bombload for the target. Remember, CBUs are great for soft targets, GPs better for larger structures, runways, etc.

Let the other guys go first. If there is a plan for taking out AAA/SAMs first, hey, let those guys do it. Sometimes in SFP1/WOV/WOE, the default plan has you in hot first. In a Bone, the VERY first guy will get lucky...the rest, not so much. That's why you have gas...can you say loiter until ready?

Multi axis. Your AI wingman aren't too smart sometimes. You usually won't need more than 1 wingman...the rest will end up just being cannon fodder. Instead, use the planning screen to move the IP and post strike points. Then, when you get to the IP/target run, designate your target, have your wingman attack, while you move off to make the same attack from a separate axis...increasing survival rate, and plus it looks cool!

The crappier the conditions, the happier you are. Night/AW is your friend...plan if you can...

Sometimes, the shortest way isn't the fastest. Remember those turn rates...or lack thereof? Sometimes the fastest way to get out of a threat area is to go into it. Example, on a Florida-shaped country, if you're attacking Tampa, in the time it takes you to turn all the way around and egress north or south...you could have left a Mk82 calling card in Daytona Beach on your egress.

Use it or lose it. Burner exists for a reason. For those wondering about IR signature increase...let me tell you a story. In night ops in the Bone (of which I did plenty), whenever a Bone was a mil power (non burner), you could see the tailpipes glow a dull red...from the ground. Run to avoid the gun!

Hopefully, these tidbits will help you survive to fly and fight another day in the Bone. Good luck!

Expect edits, corrections, and additions as I dredge up more info from my past.

FastCargo

Great stuff FC, thank you for sharing this.

i love hearing you talk like that. lol

cue george Thoroughood & The Destroyers ...

On the day I was born

The nurses all gathered 'round

And they gazed in wide wonder

At the joy they had found

The head nurse spoke up

And she said "leave this one alone"

She could tell right away

That I was bad to the bone

Bad to the bone

Bad to the bone

B-B-B-B-Bad to the bone

B-B-B-B-Bad

B-B-B-B-Bad

Bad to the bone ....

Looks like I'll crash,and get shoot down a few times before I learn to fly the B1 :haha:

Great information.

Speed, speed, and, oh yeah, speed!

The bone ain't got swing wings for nothing!

You were a bone pilot?

This is interesting. B-58 low level testing undetectable by Air Defense Command caught the attention of the Soviets. BabelFish translatation from ~ http://pvo.guns.ru/s125/index.htm

ZENITH ROCKET SYSTEM S-125 (Sa-3 GOA)

:

:

By this time appeared communications about the event, which was being taken place very far from the Astrakhan steppes. In THE USA was carry out the experiment, in course of which during October 1959 bomber B-58 "Hustler" with the full bomb load started in the region of the fort Of uerton and flew over through entire North America from the east to the West to the base Edwards. With this B-58 passed about 2300km at the height of 100-150 m with an average speed of 1100km/h and produced "successful bombing". Aircraft flew without the identification marks, the identification system of "friend-foe" was opened, but on entire route B-58 not it was discovered by the well equipped radar air defense posts of North American continent.

This flight again demonstrated, to what extent the need for the low-altitude complex PVO - AIR DEFENSE was great. Therefore even with the presence it is as before insufficient reliable fuse and the nonfulfillment of requirements on the minimum height of the beaten purposes, complex S-125 with the rocket V-600P was adopted to the armament on 21 June, 1961, by the resolution by the CC CPSU and the Council of Ministers OF USSR №561-233.

:

:

Around about that time the RAF strategic bomber force also flew intrusion missions against the US continent as exercises but afaik not at low level.

Again they were successful in reaching all of their targets undetected/uninterrupted ...

Just happened to look up a week ago and saw a rare sight, a Bone doing a "Show of Force" flight, low over the Iraqi landscape. Can't wait to fly this in WOE.

Welcome aboard FC! Sierra Hotel on the Bone tactics brief. I am surprised that the B-1 attack/penetration speed is 540 kts. The Buff attack/penetration speed at low level is 480 kts. That is pretty close for aircraft that are generations apart. Of course, dash speed is another matter entirely. However, good to have your expertise aboard and I cannot wait to put the Bone through its paces. Good stuff.

BTW, ever seen a fighter pilot with flash protection goggles? First KFB that goes off and they are flying blind while the bombers continue on. Sorta like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I remember flying a B-1B in F4 (modded) and attacking an airfield with 84 82's blasting it to pieces. It was FUN. I was at around 200ft when I dropped them. They were retarded bombs, of course, or I would not have lived. :wink:

Thanks guys!

I flew Bones about 10 years ago, so that's where my expertise lies. They've gotten some better upgrades since then, and so do a lot more med/high alt stuff. Safer, and more effective with JDAM...but not as fun to simulate.

Interesting story about the B-58s. I knew an old B-58 guy who told me about similiar missions he would fly with 4 ships...low and haulin the mail testing ADC. However, B-58s didn't have the range the russian article states...no way they could have done East coast to Edwards down low.

I'm surprised about the BUFF speed of 480...most ex-BUFF guys I flew with said 360 was the standard low level speed with 480 dash...but this was G and H models in the early 90s. Could have been further restricted to increase the life of the airframe...or I could be totally out to lunch!

Ah yes, PLZT goggles. We had the shields...of course, it was like flying looking through a soda straw...glad we went conventional only.

Jug, seen a few of your posts here...I was at Beale for a couple of tours, including my last active tour in T-38As. Would love to live there...if I could afford it! Still friends with several Deuce guys...and even got a alt chamber ride in a space suit with them.

FastCargo

PS As Jedi mentioned, use retarded bombs (Snakeyes or ballutes). 'Slicks' will get you killed down low...or won't even arm. Actually, the USAF doesn't use Snakeyes anymore...ballutes are more reliable, and you could user select to go 'slick' if you needed to change the delivery type.

Edited by FastCargo

Fast low level intrusion missions.....I can just hear all of my DAS equipment failing, lol. Speaking of...do you know if TDS is going to be modeled, I haven't heard much about the SF Bone ad-on.

Fast low level intrusion missions.....I can just hear all of my DAS equipment failing, lol. Speaking of...do you know if TDS is going to be modeled, I haven't heard much about the SF Bone ad-on.

I'm not sure...I don't know:

A) How well TK's sims model ECM and the different techniques.

B) How well that can be implemented by Marcfighter.

Heck, I'm not even sure LOMAC does all the different ECM techniques...

FastCargo

Edited by FastCargo

From my old years of beta testing in LOMAC, there wasn't any real extensive discussion of how to model ECM. It's a jammer, and therefore it jams. There was burn through and such modeled, but not exciting stuff such as Jam and Shoot, or DRFM, etc.