Sign in to follow this  
Edward

PhotoReal Terrains Available NOW at RAZBAM

If I insinuated that freeware is freeloading I apologize as that was never my point.

My point is that the word "freeware" gets used in direct opposition to "payware" but what gets overlooked is that each have expenses related to them. The difference between the two really is who absorbs the expenses or to what extent.

I would suggest that in the following conditions it might look like this:

1. FREEWARE

A) Costs are all paid by the developer.

B) Costs are shared - Production and support paid by developer - Distribution paid by other providers (CA, AVSIM, etc).

2. PAYWARE

A) Costs are paid by the end user - break even.

B) Costs are somewhat paid by the end user - shared expense.

C) Costs are overpaid and a profit is realized - profitable.

So when we're talking about the different segments of the community, "freeware" versus "payware", it's not the product that's changed but the want or need of the developer to produce and in what atmosphere. Would that be a fair statement?

I haven't heard of anyone making a killing or retiring a millionaire from modding so it's logical to me that the most gained from payware is the support of the product itself (ie production, distribution, support, etc). I seriously doubt that 2C above is ever realized or seen. Most in the community choose to release under 1A and 1B above but I don't think we can demand that all modders must use a "freeware" production style. I believe how they choose to be part of this community is up to them and most I would believe base that on the ability to either be able to support what he does for everyone or not.

So my point simply put is that support and appreciation of one is really the same as support and appreciation for both.

I appreciate everyone who gives to this community and in any capacity they see fit. Be it responding to posts on various forums, developing a new model, a new skin, campaign, or changing the flight dynamics in an ini. Support and appreciation comes in many forms and the more of it we have the more people enjoy being part of it.

My thoughts for what they're worth.

Erik

1. FREEWARE

A) Costs are all paid by the developer.

B) Costs are shared - Production and support paid by developer - Distribution paid by other providers (CA, AVSIM, etc).

Erik

Did I mention that I love you guys?

(obligatory shout out to the most awesomest host in all of servertopia)

Erik brings up a good point, all the books, dvd's and videos I have bought for research, decals I bought for scanning to get a high quality look to the skins, better computers to take my modding to the next level. So yeah my mods are payware in the end. As in I paid for them. So its 6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in another. I say we just drop this whole thing, enjoy then benefits both payware and freeware and have fun. And that is all I have to say about that.

My last words on this subject here...I actually..(this is true fact)...turned down a serious offer of a few models (making them) for a game that was going to be developed...and could have made between $500-$1000 per model...and was asked to do at least 3...This was ay first tempting,so much that I started to plan out the tasks.Though alas I couldnt guarrantee the time to devote to the venture so declined the offer and instead,went the "make for free" at my leisure route.

I would have dearly loved to get into commercial 3d design\model making(even though I know im just in truth an average 3d modeller...and am the 1st to admit that) but as I say time wasnt available.

Just goes to show what we put aside for others..(well in part anyways)

R

Edited by russouk2004

Paul:

You mean like these?:

122B.jpg

GCS0219.jpg

GCS0220.jpg

These are all in WoV and they are all early WiP´s

Best regards

Prowler

Dark Lord of the Evil Payware Empire

Just when i tought things couldnt get any worse the sh** its the fan.... :nono:

If i was kinda indiferent with the concept of payware this comment couldnt resent me more! It seems my 4y old nephew talking sh**...."i have it and you dont nananana"...now realy...this is getting truly a circus!

If you have it and dont want to share it, hey it is your right someonelse has to make it or not but getting pissed at someone for using payware and menace with that kinda remarks...man that is truly disgusting. :bad:

If one is making better looking models than these so-called ultra-realistic, supported by imaginary 3rd world pilots, "super-duper"payware models and giving them for free, wouldn't one be upset and discouraged if models inferior in quality and research were being sold for $$$$ ?

Its just a natural reaction rather than "disgusting".

Besides, what moral right do these payware guys have to enjoy freeware models ?

If one is making better looking models than these so-called ultra-realistic, supported by imaginary 3rd world pilots, "super-duper"payware models and giving them for free, wouldn't one be upset and discouraged if models inferior in quality and research were being sold for $ ?

Ghostrider

Can you clarify your post? Who is your post directed to? I don't understand what morality has to do with freeware models. I'm not sure I understand who you're referring to when you elude to individuals and groups as "so-called...". If you want to shed some light on your toothy response to an already sore subject I'm sure we can work towards answering your concerns, at least attempt to.

Regards;

Erik

Hey gosht...the same moral rigth you have to use them..there is absolutely no difference..am I stealing from you? am i robbing you? or is it just that you want what i have to offer BUT your "moral" refrains to get it?

Grow up dude...

Prowler

Paul:

You mean like these?:

122B.jpg

GCS0219.jpg

GCS0220.jpg

These are all in WoV and they are all early WiP´s

Best regards

Prowler

Dark Lord of the Evil Payware Empire

Oh dude....joygasm!!!! Thanks for the screenshots. Do you take payment plans? :biggrin:

The "moral" comment was way out of line and border line retarded. I was rather proud of the fact that we were having a spirited, yet civil conversation about something and then that comment happened.

I am a free mod guy. I give my stuff away for anyone who wants to use it and all I ask is that they come to me and ask me if they want to include it or release a modified version of it. That is ALL I ask of people who download my things. Hell, if one of the pay mod guys wanted to download my skins, I say more power to ya man! Just more people to enjoy my hobby with.

I understand I am very lucky to not have to pay for server costs because of guys like Erik and all the CombatAce crew. I also understand that servers can get expensive, especially with people downloading files, sucking up precious bandwidth....so what better way to recoup the costs than charge for the very file that is being downloaded, wasting that bandwidth.

Morals has absolutely nothing to do with it, so leave em at the door.

If one is making better looking models than these so-called ultra-realistic, supported by imaginary 3rd world pilots, "super-duper"payware models and giving them for free, wouldn't one be upset and discouraged if models inferior in quality and research were being sold for $$$$ ?

Sandesh, I have known you a long time but your attitude towards payware is done right odd. What the hell does morals have to do with it? These guys are not harming anyone or once again to beat a dead horse, they are not taking money out of your pocket or forcing you to buy them. So why do you even care? Please tell me how payware has ruined your life? I am curious. Because I know for a fact it hasn't.

Eric. I wasn't speaking to anyone specifically in reference to the freeloading comment.

Well guys I think this has ran its course and I think we know where everyone stands. So let it be, go fly and have fun. If you are getting too hung up on this payware vs freeware thing then you are no longer having fun. Think about it.

I too have voiced my opinion about pay ware and all it has gotten me is criticism and censorship. You guys, as I was , are missing the big Picture here....All this would not be possible if third wire did not invent the game. all these pay ware would be nothing but files on someone’s computer without the SF games .So, If third wire is not stepping up to the plate and saying " "Wait a minute, these people are making money of our product !!! Where are our royalties????" Who are we to gripe? So my suggestion is Keep your thoughts to your self and exercise your god given right to choose.

PS Mr Moderators , Giving them free advertisement ???

Edited by Veltro2k

Stop making with them negative waves. Your'e from New York and you think a hero is some kind of sandwich. And the bottom line for me is hey man, I don't fix em I only drive em. Have a little wine a little cheese. thanks to all and remember don't load a paint a round when your'e staring at a tigers ass.

ps: my quotes may not be exact.

Edited by USMC Hawker

I believe TK has a great understanding of online community dynamics. Whether royalties are being paid or not, is not anyone's business except for TK and the modder. I think it is far more important for modders to earn a few $$$ for their mods than to stop making them. Payware or Noware? What if that were the choice? I much prefer the SF world with Edward making terrain tiles than without... I would rather have more people flying in the SF world, not fewer. I would love to pay for a certain aircraft...

Whether royalties are being paid or not, is not anyone's business except for TK and the modder.

Dont get me wrong Thats what I meant :crazy:

BTW Graduated from Union High School

lived in Washington ave. :tongue:

Stop making with them negative waves. Your'e from New York

I fail to see what said individual being from New York has anything to do with this :dntknw::off_topic: What's with the huge text bud ?

Well guys I think this has ran its course and I think we know where everyone stands. So let it be, go fly and have fun. If you are getting too hung up on this payware vs freeware thing then you are no longer having fun. Think about it.

Hey MTL why not just lock/delete this thread ? I don't like payware, said that twice, but to go on and on about the pro's and con's four page's later like some here.***sigh*** :boredom:

Edited by Atreides

"Stop making with them negative waves. Your'e from New York and you think a hero is some kind of sandwich. And the bottom line for me is hey man, I don't fix em I only drive em. Have a little wine a little cheese. thanks to all and remember don't load a paint a round when your'e staring at a tigers ass...... "

ps: my quotes may not be exact.

I LOVE DONALD SUTHERLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't we have a Kelly's Heroes Campaign, practically everything is there , let's ask Edward for some terraintiles.... :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Aju,

Derk