Sign in to follow this  
DWCAce

Nuclear Ops...or Ooops?

Boo-f***ing-hoo.

Back in the good ol' days SAC used to have tons of B-36's and B-52's flying 24/7 packed to the gills with nukes.

Back in the good ol' days SAC used to have tons of B-36's and B-52's flying 24/7 packed to the gills with nukes.

You do realize that the problem isn't the fact that the B-52 flew with nukes...it's the fact that no one figured that out until AFTER it landed.

FastCargo

As FC can attest to. The loss of positive control is a big deal. Oh I CANT WAIT for the 14 Sept stand down/ass chewing day in ACC.

I bet LeMay's coffin is heating up... take cover...

Lemay was a god!

You do realize that the problem isn't the fact that the B-52 flew with nukes...it's the fact that no one figured that out until AFTER it landed.

FastCargo

So? It isn't fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip-up.

So? It isn't fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip-up.

No, it isn't fair. But you can't dismiss it out of hand either.

Folks, as people who have worked with nukes will tell you, positive control is EVERYTHING! It is a Big F*****g Deal everytime a nuke is moved, and the paperwork is miles long.

An example: During an exercise (mind you, just an exercise), once the aircraft had weapons loaded, the area around it became a 'no lone zone', ie no one was ever suppposed to be alone inside that area. It was guarded by a single SF person. Unfortunately, one of the guys guarding fell asleep.

He wasn't chewed out by his supervisor.

He didn't get a letter of reprimand.

He didn't get an Article 15 (administrative punishment).

He was court marshalled! For an exercise.

That is how serious we take positive control.

FastCargo

More info: http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/09/...warhead_070905/

I guess someone's chair is getting pretty hot.

From the article:

It was originally reported that five nuclear warheads were transported, but officers who tipped Military Times to the incident who have asked to remain anonymous since they are not authorized to discuss the incident, have since updated that number to six.

I guess somebody should look up what 'not authorized' means.

From the article:

It was originally reported that five nuclear warheads were transported, but officers who tipped Military Times to the incident who have asked to remain anonymous since they are not authorized to discuss the incident, have since updated that number to six.

I guess somebody should look up what 'not authorized' means.

yea. "not authorized" means to shut up!

lots of people are going to get roasted on this one.

as FC points out, not knowing you lost some is just incomprehensible. Its massive decertification and courts-martial coming down the road after the investigations are done. heads are rolling.

Edited by Typhoid

Well, I must admit that the U.S. was the last country I'd expect such an incident from... Although in Russia I bet if it happened people wouldn't be court-martialed, they would "commit suicide", I bet... And the world would never know 'cause I bet something like that would never be publicized in any media...

I was glued to the TV waiting for TV News saying "USAF have a "broken arrow" (ie missing nukes.). Glad they weren't missing...

Falcon

read about it...

i was suprised to hear that B-52's are still in service, thought they were out already :|

from what i understand, the problem was that the nukes were armed during the flight, that's the big ohh ohh

read about it...

i was suprised to hear that B-52's are still in service, thought they were out already :|

from what i understand, the problem was that the nukes were armed during the flight, that's the big ohh ohh

B-52H's are still in service.

Falcon

read about it...

they were not armed. They were unaccounted for and accidently loaded when they should not have been, and no one caught the mistake until the plane landed and the ground crew noticed that the missiles included nuke warheads. THAT is what the excitement is all about.

roger that Falcon and Typhoi, thanks :)

From the 2nd artccle posted:

It’s not like they had nuclear ACMs and conventional ACMs right next to each other and they just happened to load one with a nuclear warhead

One really has to wonder how they f*** this up so badly

All those involved in this fiasco should be discharged ASAP, from the team chiefs, missile maintenance, munitions controllers, loaders, conventional, nukes, to QA, wing safety, SP shift commander, etc, etc.

The doctrine is pretty clear-

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/doctrine/usaf/index.html

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/doctrine/usaf/91011100.pdf

Safety checks, anyone?

Yours, Mike

46370, '80-'95

Well, another issue that may later come to light is that some of the personnel WERE aware and reported it and were ignored. If so, I would think those lower echelon people would be excused while the ones in charge will suffer even more.

Well, it looks like some head has fallen

"The widespread disregard for nuclear weapons safety standards by airmen at Minot and Barksdale Air Force bases led to the unprecedented “Bent Spear” incident in which six nuclear warheads were mistakenly loaded onto a B-52 and flown from North Dakota to Louisiana on Aug. 29-30, Air Force officials said Friday after an intensive six-week investigation.

The Air Force relieved the 5th Munitions Squadron commander at Minot immediately after the incident. On Friday, it announced that three more commanders have been sacked. They are:

** Col. Bruce Emig, wing commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base;

** Col. Cynthia M. Lundell, commander, 5th Maintenance Group, Minot Air Force Base; and

** Col. Todd C. Westhauser, commander, 2nd Operations Group, Barksdale Air Force Base."

latest on AF Times

Well, it looks like some head has fallen

"The widespread disregard for nuclear weapons safety standards by airmen at Minot and Barksdale Air Force bases led to the unprecedented “Bent Spear” incident in which six nuclear warheads were mistakenly loaded onto a B-52 and flown from North Dakota to Louisiana on Aug. 29-30, Air Force officials said Friday after an intensive six-week investigation.

The Air Force relieved the 5th Munitions Squadron commander at Minot immediately after the incident. On Friday, it announced that three more commanders have been sacked. They are:

** Col. Bruce Emig, wing commander, 5th Bomb Wing, Minot Air Force Base;

** Col. Cynthia M. Lundell, commander, 5th Maintenance Group, Minot Air Force Base; and

** Col. Todd C. Westhauser, commander, 2nd Operations Group, Barksdale Air Force Base."

latest on AF Times

its just beginning......

falling stars coming soon

its just beginning......

falling stars coming soon

Yeah, this is a MAJOR screw-up. I can't wait to see who else gets swept up in this.

Yeah, this is a MAJOR screw-up. I can't wait to see who else gets swept up in this.

saw a comment that over 70 have been disciplined, removed, fired, etc. Courts-martial (many) pending. The number of stars that fall could resemble a meteor shower before this is done........

The wing cmdr was only an O-6?? For a nuke wing? That seems unusual, unless he was an O-7 select.