Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

How many hours?

Ah yes, F-15 SE 1. Your carrier (?) was a blue triangle. Enemy targets were brown triangles. The water was blue, the land was tan. Enemy planes were a few triangles stuck together. When you shot them, these weird triangle-shaped streaks came out of them...

Gunship wasn't much better. F-19 was the ground-breaking one for graphics. You could tell what was what by SIGHT. An F-5, F-4, MiG-21, all could be id'd on SIGHT. It was amazing!

Thank god I started only with F-15 Strike Eagle 2, seemed to have F-19 quality graphics already. Only after it did I get into F-19. Damn, they don't make sims like F-19 anymore... with all that stealth stuff... heheh... That's why WoE's F-19 is such a pleasure to fly, brings back memories... Now I only need that Iran/Persian Gulf map (thank god Jane's Fighters Anthology had it too!) and then I'm back in business pounding mud and blasting Mirage IIIs, F-4s, F-5s and the occasional F-14 out of the sky, besides pounding the elite iranian guards to rubble... :happy:

I played F-19 for a good 2.5 yrs straight before the release of F3 took over as my main jet sim. I LOVED playing that thing. Whether you chose Cold War, limited war, or WWIII, it offered differing tactics and combat.

F-15SE 2 I played when it came out, later, and I only played it a few hours at most. Aside from some minor graphical improvements (compared to F-19 but not the later F-117 SF 2.0 which looked a LOT better), it had that stupid damage model where all you lost was thrust from damage, to the point that you'd eventually fall out of the sky if you were hit too much.

Well, I started in 1996 whit Novalogics Lightning 2 (if you can even call that a sim), after that the next sim I tried was the Flanker 1 that I goth whit the Genius joystick and after that, the next remarkable sim is Flanker 2, then CFS 2 (played that one really long) after that IL2, forgotten battles (the only simulation I played online) later Lock-On and later WoE. Now when I get some time I gonna try Falcon 4 AF.

Hours simming? God knows.

I can't see that site, but is it the old DI Tornado game? I played a lot of that. The ADV stuff was crap, but the IDS was awesome.

did the link die? Yep, old DI Tornado...speaking of that reminds me of the DI Eurofighter...that was sweet too...

Most of you guys got me beat by a mile but here goes anyway...

Started simming on a friends' 386 playing Aces of the Pacific. Got my own 386 working and got a copy of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe; best pilot got 60 kills in an ME-109; loved that game, espesially the campaign. Built my own 486 and bought Combat Flight Simulater. Loved the British Battle of Britain missions. The first time I took off in a Spitfire I was in love and never looked back.

As for an answer to the first question, time simming is shared with other games like Armed Assault so not a lot, maybe 5 hours a week.

Edited by pcpilot

You old guys are gonna like this, today I played the old F-19 (this game is only two years younger than me :rolleyes: ) and had fun like I haven't had in months. :good:

That was my first sim in on the C64.

Wonder what happened to "Wild Bill"Steeley?

anybody remember this one?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/tornado

Heck, I played River Raid on the Atari...does that count? Dave, a C-64? Remember the Amiga? or the Coleco?

I still have this bad boy for the PC.

I had some F-14 game (dont remember the name) for my Atari 7800...which was amazing over the 2600...you could not even pitch about 45 degrees, but at least it had a cockpit unlike River Raid...and jump jet was the first game I ever played on a PC...dont remember who made it

You still have Tornado? I think I have Eurofighter someone like in a safe deposit box in a mini-humidor

Not a flight sim, but cant go without mentioning Duke Nukem...you know 1,2, and 3...and please dont spoil it by mentioning Duke Nukem Never

You old guys are gonna like this, today I played the old F-19 (this game is only two years younger than me :rolleyes: ) and had fun like I haven't had in months. :good:

Two years younger than you?? I was in HS when I played F-19!

I had some F-14 game (dont remember the name) for my Atari 7800...which was amazing over the 2600...you could not even pitch about 45 degrees, but at least it had a cockpit unlike River Raid...

You mean "Tomcat: The F-14 Simulator"? Released on the Atari VCS (2600) and 7800 in 1988? Still got her running on my VCS! Was made by Absolute Entertainment, pretty much an offshoot of Activision at the time.

Wow, What a question. Well i guess i started in the late 70s early 80s in the arcade with Red Baron and Star Wars,Then the Atari 2600 with the Jets and Biplanes of Combat then onto the Atari XT and BAOs (not MS yet!) FS 2 and a Mosquito game that i cant remember the name of, then onto a real computer, a Packard Bell 33Mhz and X-Wing,Tie Fighter and MSFS5 i think, then a new super fast 66Mhz computer and Fighter Duel,AOL Air Warrior,US Navy Fighters and the Marine Fighters Expansion,ATF,Chuck Yeagers Air Combat (a little late, but this is when i found it),Red Baron PC,Super VGA Harrier and Corncob 3D.Then another computer and Janes FA,IAF,USAF,MSFS98,Flanker and Falcon 4.0, Next Computer and MSFS 2002,SAR,Longbow Gold,Next computer and Lomac,F4AF,FS9,WOV,WOE and FE.

Im sure i missed a few but thats the just of it. No idea how many hours, but i bet its 20000+ if it were all added up. Man, thats kinda scary when you think about it. :blink:

Edit: Remembered a few more, Warbirds,CFS1,2 and 3 and EF2000 and TFX.

Edited by WarlordATF

I think I started with Chuck Yeager's Air Combat on my 486 - conned my parents into believing that I needed a PC at university in the early '90s. Tornado was a big one for me (also Shuttle: remember that one?). Then USNF, DI Falcon, Jane's, SF, LOMAC, various MSFS (FS5, 2k, 2k2, ACOF, X). Did I miss anything?

I've got Tornado on the shelf too. Good just to RTFM again.