Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Crusaders? (Planes and Skins)

Hey Gocad.......get busy...... :biggrin:

Give me two weeks! :biggrin:

Gocad here is the AF I had to make from scratch for the YAP RF-8G.

This is a really nice skin Dave, and so are Gocad's low vis RF-8 style skins for the mirage factory F-8E. I really like YAP and I understand and agree with the policy to protect

their objects, but I really hope that at some point they allow people to upload skins for their aircraft. A whole lot of us have bought YAP and are looking forward to YAP 2 they

have a loyal customer base. Now i understand that they are strongly against anyone modifying their missions into something that is historically incorrect (because their missions tell

the stories of men who risked their lives to serve their country) but aircraft like the RF-8G remained in service for 15 years after the wars end. One would think they might be able

to through their customers a bone here. :biggrin: In fact the skins would be useless to anyone who has not bought YAP so unless I am totally missing something here the skinning

policy- as I understand it- seems to be seems a bit restrictive.

Edited by Icarus999

As far as I know skins are fair game. Since Gramps made some repaints of some YAP stuff and uploaded it here. Repaints in this community has always been fair game with credit given. It will remain so as far as this site is concerned. If someone doesn't like it, they can go somewhere else.

Thanks for the pic, Dave. That's really a cool skin.

As far as I know skins are fair game. Since Gramps made some repaints of some YAP stuff and uploaded it here. Repaints in this community has always been fair game with credit given. It will remain so as far as this site is concerned. If someone doesn't like it, they can go somewhere else.

Cool... I guess I misread the yap policy. Any chance we could talk you into sharing those awesome naval reserve low vis RF-8G skins, they really kick butt.

Edited by Icarus999

Just for fun: F-8J of VFP-63 (low-viz scheme)

gallery_22093_126_45051.jpg

Oh yeah, I didn't make this one up:

post-22093-1213300191_thumb.jpg

:wink:

Edited by Gocad

Sweet!

nice! I love that the community on this site is always roaring to go when it comes to making models and skins for those models, keep it up guys!

"Just for fun" my south end while facing north! Low vis J model. Guns not cameras? Historical photo documentation. I'm all about what If. This is bitchin'. History links please. CAGS, DETS, years too.

Oooh Yah! :ph34r: CL

"Just for fun" my south end while facing north! Low vis J model. Guns not cameras? Historical photo documentation. I'm all about what If. This is bitchin'. History links please. CAGS, DETS, years too.

Oooh Yah! :ph34r: CL

:biggrin:

I found this pic in Detail & Scale #31 (page 34). The photo's caption reads:

Another scheme used on the Crusader was the overall gull gray scheme (which was introduced in 1977) with subdued or low visibility markings. This F-8J, 150661, was assigned to recon recon squadron VFP-63, and was photographed at El Paso IAP on July 20, 1980.

VFP-63 received some F-8J in the mid-1970s for training purposes in order to preserve their RF-8.

And as you can see their RF-8 were painted in the same manner:

post-22093-1213430757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gocad

TPS...a never-ending story.

gallery_22093_126_11762.jpg

Still so much work to do (fuselage texture, insignia, etc.)...I should have never read the MIL-STD 2161. :shok:

At least I have managed to reduce the number of decals used...and since there is no TMF RF-8 around it's rather a low priority project anyway.

I rather focus on making skins of less known(?) Crusader units. :tongue:

gallery_22093_126_90280.jpg

VC-10 Challengers WiP

TPS...a never-ending story.

gallery_22093_126_11762.jpg

Still so much work to do (fuselage texture, insignia, etc.)...I should have never read the MIL-STD 2161. :shok:

At least I have managed to reduce the number of decals used...and since there is no TMF RF-8 around it's rather a low priority project anyway.

I rather focus on making skins of less known(?) Crusader units. :tongue:

gallery_22093_126_90280.jpg

VC-10 Challengers WiP

Hmm? If this is the MF Crud skin snivel page I am on it.

I want a:

1. A shamrock in TPS.

2. VFP-63 in TPS with CAG specific tailcoads. Coral Sea NK, Midway NM.

3. A VF-111 Sundowner skin in TPS would be splendid to.

Your TPS bird looks more then done. I remember the F-4s, A-7s and A-6s in the fleet with that skin never looked done. Generaly they looked pretty beat or camy'd cause the paint batches didn't match after they were touched up. They all seamed to be missing some sort of nuisance marking, If you had the attention to detail, somewhere if you really had time to check.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

A shamrock in TPS.

gallery_22093_126_38094.jpg

The VFP-63 skin would be just decal work...I find the idea of making a single skin that would cover all Detachments and the Home Guard interesting, but not as a TP scheme. The overall gull grey scheme looks much better.

It's strange, my desire to make a TPS for the F-8 was the reason that got me into painting aircraft, but by now (and about 12 Crusader skins later) I'm much more interested in making high-viz skins, like this one:

gallery_22093_126_45556.jpg

It's just a modification of my VC-5 drone controller scheme...I simply like that checkerboard pattern...and the F-8B. :biggrin:

Edited by Gocad

Mate will be amazing to have one of this for the Spanish Navy! Really cool

Allllmost done, I think:

gallery_22093_126_30980.jpg

803 Naval Air Squadron, Fleet Air Arm

I wanted to do an 892 Squadron skin, but I couldn't get that done...it just didn't look right. :dntknw:

EDIT:

Now waiting in the downloads section:

gallery_22093_126_18097.jpg

Edited by Gocad

Hey Gocad have you downloaded this yet?

Looks Great! :ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

No, and to be honest, it isn't really destined for a release...I don't want to flood the downloads section with Crusader skins (more Fleet Composite Squadron skins anyone?), although you could get the impression I'm already doing that. :biggrin:

Would tps and all gull greys downloaded as a package manage the "flood" as irrigation then? :ph34r: CL

I prefer single skin releases...for several reasons. :wink:

That Shamrocks skin (which isn't finished and needs more work) was actually part of my attempt to come up with a perfect 'better' TP skin...but I have come to realize that low-viz Crusader skins do not seem to interest me any more (well, at least at the moment).

I do think that this is quite ironic, since it was that interest in those schemes that made me start painting....

gallery_22093_126_31201.jpg

My favorite Crusader skin. Don't ask why....I just like it. :wink:

Edited by Gocad

I am wondering if there's a handyman who is able

and willing to make this skin. IMHO the prettiest

Crusaders to have flown! I only have this side view and photo's,

googling the net provided me with scarse and bad pictures which

are no help at all. Please inform, would really be a nice

addition!

Edited by muesli