Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Crusaders? (Planes and Skins)

*BUMP* I have returned to the jet age!

gallery_22093_126_243560.jpg

I begun working on this skin over a month ago, but back then I did encounter some problems getting it right and I stopped working on it. But now I have figured out what I had to do to fix it.

I guess it's done in two weeks days a few hours, all that needs to be done is to recolor some decals and paint the right side of the tailfin.

This skin might be nice for some sort of Top Gun campaign... :wink:

Edited by Gocad

Would you guys be interested in creating this bad boy

The two-sader sure did look nasty... too bad they only ever made one (er... I think!)

Since the MF-8 is such a hot topic today - has anybody figured out a fix for the reversed dual sidewinder rails on the starboard side ? Something like a simple .ini fix that I haven't been able to figure out yet ? Just wondering... IMHO the MF's F-8 is simply one of the best add-ons we've ever had - thanks to all!

SB

@Wolf65: It's for the MF F-8E. Actually this particular skin belongs to the F-8J, but I think it wouldn't make much sense to release a skin for aircraft that hasn't been released yet...although I'm quite confident that this skin will work with the F-8J as well. :ninja:

Since the MF-8 is such a hot topic today - has anybody figured out a fix for the reversed dual sidewinder rails on the starboard side ? Something like a simple .ini fix that I haven't been able to figure out yet ?

I guess I'm saying nothing wrong when I tell you that the MF guys know about it and seem to have done something about it. (Hint: Search for the F-8J pic USAFMTL posted a few pages ago)

But you can't change the shape of the sidewinder rails via an .ini fix, since it's a model issue.

Edited by Gocad

@Wolf65: It's for the MF F-8E. Actually this particular skin belongs to the F-8J, but I think it wouldn't make much sense to release a skin for aircraft that hasn't been released yet...although I'm quite confident that this skin will work with the F-8J as well. :ninja:

I guess I'm saying nothing wrong when I tell you that the MF guys know about it and seem to have done something about it. (Hint: Search for the F-8J pic USAFMTL posted a few pages ago)

But you can't change the shape of the sidewinder rails via an .ini fix, since it's a model issue.

Thanks Gocad... stupid me, I should have noticed the F-8J pic... I just want to make sure everybody knows this wasn't a gripe either! The MF F8 is just plain fantastic, I've hardly used anything else since they released it!

Just loaded up your VFP skin too... fantastic!!! Thanks very much!

SB

Definitely the skin the community has been waiting for since the Crusaders were released... :wink:

post-22093-1206109188_thumb.jpg

VMF-215 'Fighting Corsairs'

Nah, seriously, I had nothing else to do, found this drawing in Gaetan Marie's Scratchbook...and thought that this could be done in an hour or so. Of course it took me more than an hour (stupid tailcode) and as you can see from the pic, I still have to do the inidividual aircraft and serial numbers.

VMF-215 was a Marine reserve unit that actually flew F-8As...which aren't available. Thus I'm going to do this skin for the F-8D, but it will have F-8A BuNos.

Edited by Gocad

Definitely the skin the community has been waiting for since the Crusaders were released... :wink:

VMF-215 'Fighting Corsairs'

Nah, seriously, I had nothing else to do, found this drawing in Gaetan Marie's Scratchbook...and thought that this could be done in an hour or so. Of course it took me more than an hour (stupid tailcode) and as you can see from the pic, I still have to do the inidividual aircraft and serial numbers.

VMF-215 was a Marine reserve unit that actually flew F-8As...which aren't available. Thus I'm going to do this skin for the F-8D, but it will have F-8A BuNos.

Hey Gocad, don't steal my thunder..... :biggrin: Already done.

Also no 5k on the top wing for mine, I got a real pic of it in one of my Crusader book. No top wing stuff but the serial.

Oh my, isn't there a Crusader unit you haven't covered yet? :biggrin:

We definitely need some sort of coordination here.

Also no 5k on the top wing for mine, I got a real pic of it in one of my Crusader book. No top wing stuff but the serial.

I guess that makes it complete. Well, at least I know now how to do those top wing squadron codes.

We definitely need some sort of coordination here.

I guess that makes it complete. Well, at least I know now how to do those top wing squadron codes.

Have you noticed the model of the Crusader in my pics? Those are going to be part of release package for it or a sep skin pack. We aren't sure how many skins we are going to add yet to the final.

Have you noticed the model of the Crusader in my pics? Those are going to be part of release package for it or a sep skin pack. We aren't sure how many skins we are going to add yet to the final.

Hmmm...doesn't look like a D or E model.

But seriously, I do wonder whether there are any skins left to be done. I would really like to do a few more, but there is no point in doing something that has already been done.

Edited by Gocad

Hmmm...doesn't look like a D or E model.

But seriously, I do wonder whether there are any skins left to be done. I would really like to do a few more, but there is no point in doing something that has already been done.

B models they be matey... :biggrin: The current plan I think is we are releasing the B and the J model Saders, then we got the H,K,L, and the P.

Gocad, there is a ton of skins that havent been done. Nothing stopping you at all, I was just flipping you crap.

B models they be matey... :biggrin: The current plan I think is we are releasing the B and the J model Saders, then we got the H,K,L, and the P.

Gocad, there is a ton of skins that havent been done. Nothing stopping you at all, I was just flipping you crap.

Ouch, that's a lot. I have no doubt that they are some units left that haven't been covered yet, but I'm also aware that there are several skins that seem to have been done already, but aren't available since they are part of the those packages that haven't been released yet.

Bottom line is, I do think now that it's better to wait until all Crusader models are released (wait, did I really said that?) before I do another skin.

Ah a DF-8. I did a scheme like that for the old Alpahsim one for FS2000 many years ago. Great scheme. Good work Gocad.

I know. I have seen it at avsim. :wink:

No question that this is an interesting scheme, however, the hard (read: time-intensive) part (tail fin, decals, etc.) has yet to be done... :whistling:

Edited by Gocad

Picking the proper color mixture is driving me mad...

TPS scheme version 1 (that's the one from the TPS package I have released)

gallery_22093_126_46450.jpggallery_22093_126_61100.jpg

TPS scheme version 2

gallery_22093_126_47142.jpggallery_22093_126_83777.jpg

In case you're wondering, both schemes use the same color combination, FS 36320 for the fuselage & tail fin and FS 36375 for the rest.

Edited by Gocad

Or Dark Compass Ghost Grey and Light Compass Ghost grey... Never was thrilled with the Crusader but it does look better in TPS :smile:

Before:

gallery_22093_126_92814.jpg

After:

gallery_22093_126_74414.jpg

I love subtle updates. :biggrin:

Edited by Gocad

Israeli skin please ?????? :haha:

Shalom,

Derk

How about a Shamrocks skin instead? :wink:

gallery_22093_126_86720.jpg

Edited by Gocad

...and my work is done...for today. :wink:

gallery_22093_126_30468.jpg

Edited by Gocad

Indeed, but I'm a bit biased here. :wink:

I have got a few more planned (VC/U-5/7/8...I haven't decided that yet and I'm waiting for the F-8C anyway; VF-13, 62, 124, 141, 174 & 202; VMF-112, 122, 251, 321, 323 & 451 - these are the units I have info on, doesn't mean I'm going to them all), but since I do not know which skins are planned for future releases (see above) I won't be doing any of them soon, unless I feel the urge to do one, as it was the case with the Shamrocks skin. There are also a few technical issues I have to figure out first.

Edited by Gocad