Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

A1E Skyraider Skins

My question wasn't because you were a female why you liked the Spad. Others jumped in not understanding. I mean what drew you to like it. My favorite is the F-8 Crusader, the first time I saw it in person I was hooked. It was sitting at the flight line at Hanscom AFB back in 1985. After that I have been in love with it ever since.

What first drew me to it was probably reading about the exploits of Sandy pilots in an old aviation magazine. I liked the look of the Skyraider straight away. Rugged and solid. The amount of ordnance suspended under those wings was just amazing. Ever since then I've had a thing for them. I prefer the old fat-face A1-E & G models the best. It's funny but when you try to explain exactly why you like something it's hard to put down, you just know.

I have a inkling why I'm so into them, but that's just for me. A bit beyond the realm of a combat simulator forum I think. Hey, but I really do love to fly them in WoV. It's like a little link and homage to those guys who did it for real. Indeed anyone could say that, whatever the aircraft type.

Hope that's kind of the answer you were looking for USAFMTL.

What first drew me to it was probably reading about the exploits of Sandy pilots in an old aviation magazine. I liked the look of the Skyraider straight away. Rugged and solid. The amount of ordnance suspended under those wings was just amazing. Ever since then I've had a thing for them. I prefer the old fat-face A1-E & G models the best. It's funny but when you try to explain exactly why you like something it's hard to put down, you just know.

I have a inkling why I'm so into them, but that's just for me. A bit beyond the realm of a combat simulator forum I think. Hey, but I really do love to fly them in WoV. It's like a little link and homage to those guys who did it for real. Indeed anyone could say that, whatever the aircraft type.

Hope that's kind of the answer you were looking for USAFMTL.

Thank you ma'am. That was it. And I know what you mean, you just know.

My question wasn't because you were a female why you liked the Spad. Others jumped in not understanding. I mean what drew you to like it. My favorite is the F-8 Crusader, the first time I saw it in person I was hooked. It was sitting at the flight line at Hanscom AFB back in 1985. After that I have been in love with it ever since.

I see the point, you just..fall in love with them,. For me, it was the Canadair Waterbombers..

Yeah, rugged and solid, eh....grin!

Mike

Yeah, rugged and solid, eh....grin!

Mike

Well, maybe you're concerned too, Mike? :biggrin:

As far as I'm concerned, there's two reasons why the Skyraider is my favorite plane, along with the Crusader. The first reason is that's one of the plane that impressed me most at the first air show I went to, when I was young. No one seemed to care for this bird, not a real WW2 bird, not a modern fast mover. To me it was just the meanest looking bird I've ever seen! It was huge, it got a enormous propeller, and man it sounded so great!! I think that the sound was the part that impressed me most.

And the second reason is "Flight of the Intruder"... Damn, the scene where the two Spads flew right along the treeline, saving the heroes' ass, it's my all time favourite movie scene. Pretty representative of what happened in the real war. The epic music with the two birds making everything go boom around them, that was just top notch.

And yeah, I've a preference for the H/G birds too. I don't know why. Maybe because their are the ugliest of the whole lot, I must identify to them :biggrin: .

Edit: And you know, just the fact that you can hang pretty anything you want under them, that plus the four 20mm... It's just the best weapons platform I've seen for the Vietnam conflict! It's like an A-10, but more beautiful, and with a so nice engine roar...

Edited by Corktip_14

Guest CW2. Wells

Edited by CW2. Wells

Whenever I hear the term 'ugly' used to describe aircraft like the skyraider and A-10 I couldn't disagree enough, I understand why the description is used, but it's a relative thing, both aircraft are of unusual shape and configuration compared to the jets they served alongside, but in my eyes both aircraft are genuinely beautifull (not just speaking as a fan) theire not my favourite aircraft but I do love'em.

Anyway I wanted to ask from the Skyraider gurus if the Royal Navy ever used a cool version of the skyraider? i.e one that wasn't used for airborne radar.

Whenever I hear the term 'ugly' used to describe aircraft like the skyraider and A-10 I couldn't disagree enough, I understand why the description is used, but it's a relative thing, both aircraft are of unusual shape and configuration compared to the jets they served alongside, but in my eyes both aircraft are genuinely beautifull (not just speaking as a fan) theire not my favourite aircraft but I do love'em.

Anyway I wanted to ask from the Skyraider gurus if the Royal Navy ever used a cool version of the skyraider? i.e one that wasn't used for airborne radar.

Not sure Craig. I do know that the Skyraider AEW's were affectionately known as "guppies" to the RN crews due to their pregnant appearance !

Also I believe they were used for mundane duties such as ferrying mail to and from the carriers when within range of shore (not mundane for the guys receiving the mail though I'm sure :biggrin: ).

From what I can find in text the FAA only had the AD-4W (AEW MK1) from 1951 to 1960 - that was replaced by the even uglier Fairey Gannet (AEW MK3).

The FAA had too many different planes to chose from in the 50's - and I suppose the Sea Fury and Seafire carried out similar roles to the A1 during the Korean War.

Looks like France got some AD-4N (AD-4NAs) and used them in the Algerian War (1955-1962)

Well, if you want to side-step into the "What If..." relems...

rn-ad4.jpg

There ya go!

Wrench

kevin stein

Woah! Look who is CA's latest moderator! Congrats! :victory:

Edited by column5

Thanks C5.

Wrench those look great.

The Raiders are my favorite fixed wing aircraft from that era as well. When everyone around them was flying high speed, high performance jets, here was this group of guys peddling around in a radial engine, dropping ordnance without the aid of computerized gun sights.

The A-1 was most defiantly the A-10 of Vietnam. It could deal with almost every ground threat out there at the time. Even taking out a Mig 17. :)

That link is a keeper. Cheers. :good:

Thanks! They're kinda old now, might have to tweek them up a bit. It's based on MontyCZ original A-1H. The Suez skin was originally Gramps', I fiddled it for more decals, the other is from my imagination

I think they're here at CA, somewhere. If not, they're on my site.

And like C5 said, congrats! You'll have to pop into the Staff forum and announce your ascention to exaulted ranks of Moderator!

Wrench

kevin stein

Congrats to Nicky!

and I just noticed I am now a design modder, I go and watch 'Rattatouille' ( I loved the film) on DVD and come back and theres promotions all round.

Are you implying CA is being run by...a rat?? :wink:

Or a chef ? :wink:

Or a chef ? :wink:

Or a chef that is a rat? :biggrin:

post-27199-1202917167_thumb.jpgBack on topic, I wonder if it would be possible using Fast Cargos patented technique of using the 'add a pilot' method to create the AEW BELLY pod for the FAA AD-4W AEW(MK1) which would then for all intents and purposes always become a loaded part of the model? Edited by lazboy

That must be doable! You should maybe give him a word about it on his PM manager!

By the looks of it unfortunately Fast cargo has his hands full at the moment with other projects maybe one for the back burner.

At some point I would like to be able to fly from a carrier all of the Fleet Air Arm aircraft from the 50's onwards such as the Skyraider and of course the Buccanneer which has yet to appear as even a WIP.

lazboy

At some point I would like to be able to fly from a carrier all of the Fleet Air Arm aircraft from the 50's onwards such as the Skyraider and of course the Buccanneer which has yet to appear as even a WIP.

lazboy

RussoUK was doing the bucc - have seen loads of shots of it.

RussoUK was doing the bucc - have seen loads of shots of it.

Were the shots of the Buccanneer RussoUK is preparing posted on Ace Combat as I don't recall seeing them?

Lazboy