F-29A "????????"  

120 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want the name of the F-29A to be?

• Razor
    • Lynx
    • Panther II
    • Puma
    • Cobra II
    • Warhawk II
    • Kittyhawk II
    • Raven II

:idea: Then we could put a second cannon on it and say its the return of the gunfighters

I like gunrunners idea cause of the similarity to the F-5 and F-20

F-20 Tigershark III

F-29 Tigershark IV sounds good to me, I will change it when it`s ready to Tigershark IV!

Can we choose some name that won't need to have a ridiculous sequel number (at least not larger than 3)? :biggrin:

No, that's actually Jedi Master's idea, I'm against it. -_-

Besides, it is fairly normal that the F-29 ressembles the F-20, as both were developped from the F-5.

AFAIR, the F-29 program was started from the F-5A in the late 70's and flew mid-80's, while the F-20 from the F-5E in the early 80's with a first flight in 1982 IIRC, but both ended with similar solution when it came to giving more power to the craft, using a F404 (AFAIR both programs were independent and the F404 integration for both projects were separate).

By the way, the F-29 denomination would not have been used for a production X-29 anyway, as the X-29 was a pure X pure denomination (yes, I know about the JSF, but that was an exception due to the peculiarities of the competition and financing of the prototypes).

That would mean the plane would rather take a free designation in the F range...

F-20 going to the Tigershark, F-21 to the Kfir, F-22 to the Raptor, F-23 to the Black Widow II, you'd then think that F-24 would be the most logical unless you decide to displace the F-22/23 (which would be logical as the RFP for the ATF program was only in 1987 I think), BUT, you have to consider that while the F-20 flew first, the X-29 actually predates the F-20, so the next F number in line would have been F-19, never officially assigned...

Yep, I like arguing about futile points. ^^

:idea: Then we could put a second cannon on it and say its the return of the gunfighters

wow. We agree on something!

:wink:

If "Razor" is too odd or don't fit to this plane, then I have an idea. All of You know the He-162 "Volksjager" aircraft. "Volksjager" ("Nation's [people's] Fighter") is a name that is similar to "freedom fighter", right? F-29A looks alike to He-162. Both of these were something more like experimental plane, than real fighters, because both didn't have a chance to show their effectiveness in combat. Yeah, I know that it was a Nazi's fighter. But I really think that that it will be the best to name F-29A with "Freedom Fighter II" callsign.

Edited by Hubertus

Ok, it seems that one thing is for sure...we can't agree on anything. Thanks to everyone for their continued input an support of this thread.

Please continue to make suggestions as we might come up with a name that really fits.

Just for stamps, here's a little info regarding the X-29 and it's relationship to other aircraft:

The nose section is off an F-5E. The main landing gear and control surface actuators come off an F-16 and the engine is the F404-GE-400 out of the F-18A/B. The rest of the aircraft was purpose built. For my F-29A I've decided on the F404-GE-402 out of the F-18C/D because it's the same size but more powerful.

You're mostly right on the composition of the real-world X-29s except for a small quibble about the source of the forward fuselages.

The first X-29A (82-0003) used an ex-Air Force F-5A forward fuselage, 63-8372. The second (82-0049) used an ex-Norwegian Air Force F-5A, 65-10573 (the fuselage of this plane was later mated with the nose of an ex-NASA T-38 and used as a civilian aircraft, N38NX). The main landing gear from the F-16A differed only that it had slightly thinner tires since the X-29A didn't have a rough-field requirement. A production F-29A would have the normal F-16 tires though, I would imagine.

Great idea on using a -402 for the engine. :good:

Edited by Talos

What's wrong with British products?

Kestrel was a British aircraft, forerunner to the Harrier, so was the Skua and Albatross British.

How about Mustang? I know Mustang I, II, III already existed as British counterparts to the US version

Nothing wrong at all. Just pointing out that british/foreign aircraft names should have no bearing on US aircraft names and vice-versa. The Lightning II adopted for the F-35(ignoring the BAC product) and even Grumman's own Albatross are examples of such cases.

Nordic/mythical names dont work either..just out of tradition.

The F-29A being partially derived from the F-5 should already have 2 guns..newer versions of the M39 or more powerful guns.

How about Condor ? :wink:

Condor sounds alright, it doesn't jump out as a perfect match, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Hell why doesn't one of us call up Northrop-Grumman's or NASA's PR office and see if anyone there knows if they gave it a nickname while it was being flight tested?

Ooo, looks like we just found us a "volunteer!"

:biggrin:

I bet it was Razor!

Na-Na.gif

The Star Trek side of me says to name it Daqtagh since it looks like Klingon dagger from above.

You could name it based on weather patterns that haven't been used. Already taken:

Hurricane

Typhoon

Tornado

Lightning

Perhaps Monsoon? Blizzard? Hailstorm? Mild Rain?

FYI, the General Dynamics FSW proposal based on the F-16 was nicknamed the "Saberbat".

During testing, the X-29 picked up the unofficial nickname of "Polecat."

Not sure about that one.

Edited by Dels

Better an odd nickname actually used than something we make up I say.

The Star Trek side of me says to name it Daqtagh since it looks like Klingon dagger from above.

You could name it based on weather patterns that haven't been used. Already taken:

Hurricane

Typhoon

Tornado

Lightning

Perhaps Monsoon? Blizzard? Hailstorm? Mild Rain?

Tsunami :blink:

@Dels

Saberbat is a Rockwell. Pretty Cool looking too.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/inde...pic=208.msg1222

General Dynamics' proposal is the F-16SFW

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article26.html

and another random UK LWF design

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/inde...55.html#msg4455

Finally the famous Conquest X-30

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/conquest/

Gotta love the debate over this name. :blink: How about "ουτις"? If you know your Greek myths you should get that reference. :grin:

Edited by Longestpants

Any idea when a name will be picked?

Not to sound like a jerk but, in the end it will be mine, it will be. :biggrin:

Longestpants> Outis, I sure get the reference, what I don't get is the relation to the topic.

Polecat would be nice and open a whole new range of mustelid names (ferret, mink, marten, otter, weasel, badger, rattel or for the lovers of "cool", wolverine) while keeping a bridge with the Grumman cat tradition (well, the non-cat cat name would not be a first as the bearcat is a viverrid IIRC).

I thought Polecat is what you called a Grumman bird after it becomes a gate guard! :grin:

Longestpants> Outis, I sure get the reference, what I don't get is the relation to the topic.

Polecat would be nice and open a whole new range of mustelid names (ferret, mink, marten, otter, weasel, badger, rattel or for the lovers of "cool", wolverine) while keeping a bridge with the Grumman cat tradition (well, the non-cat cat name would not be a first as the bearcat is a viverrid IIRC).

I was saying that if we were to call it "nobody", it would be ironic since there is so much debate over the name.

It was more of a joke than an actual suggestion because I personally feel that Outis is a terrible name. :biggrin:

Oh, so that was not funny, even once explained :wink:, and that would be a nice name, for an AWACS killer...

Better an odd nickname actually used than something we make up I say.

Good point. Might be something to consider.