Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

TRON, Tron 2.0, Tron Legacy

I was just the right age for Tron, and I loved it. Those trailers look great, wont be out until next Christmas though.

as for Escape from NY

Snake Bliskin!!?.........I thought you'd be bigger?

I remember quite well TRON. I was already working with computers at the time, and TRON was just amazing.

I've it in DVD. It was the first time I saw Jeff Bridges in the cinema.

For me the Matrix of the 80's it's not TRON but Blade Runner.

Edited by Von Paulus

That new design for the Recognizer is awesome.

That new design for the Recognizer is awesome.

Yeah, this looks really good... and Bridges is in it as well, which should tie it all together real nicely!

Did you not recognize (heh!) Bruce Boxleitner aka TRON himself in the trailer, talking to Flynn's son? The only one I don't know about yet is the woman from the original.

Did you not recognize (heh!) Bruce Boxleitner aka TRON himself in the trailer, talking to Flynn's son? The only one I don't know about yet is the woman from the original.

I completely forgot that Capt Sheridon was in Tron

I think it's just Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner reprising their roles here.

Gah! I wish I could see those previews up here! (connection is WAAAAAY too slow) At least I should be back state-side when the movie actually comes out.

While I would love to see him again, I don't think David Warner's character would make sense being around. Too bad, really.

Yeah it's me stumbling in not reading all the replies again. Tron was cool, but it didn't impact me like STAR WARS or STAR TREK. How bout this for reaching outback and pull'n hard, loose tv spinoffs Automan (and his buddy cursor, there was a cursor like toon in Tron if I remember) and Streethawk.

Edited by MAKO69

In Automan it was called Cursor, in Tron it was just a Bit. :grin:

The problem with Automan was the character itself was just too arrogant and full of himself. The car making perfect right angle turns was funny, though.

I can't wait to see that Recognizer in action in the new movie... and the Tanks.

It makes sense to have Bruce Boxleitner in the movie, he was Flynn's buddy... and of course, TRON, like you said.

The game was great as well. It was really what you would have expected, and did not fall short.

OvS

I loved racing the lightcycles in the game.

I saw it in the theatre, I was 7, it afected me in many ways, Had dreams for a long time, for its time it was ground braking, hope the new one lives up to the original

The TRON: Evolution game supposed to provide some story link between the original and the new movies is out. And sucks. Controls are annoying (at least on the PC), gameplay's unoriginal (cycles grid? bah! have some tank driving!) and the visuals look like they lifted them off Star Wars. Non-canon TRON 2.0 wipes the floor with that garbage single handed.

Tron 2.0 was made by Monolith, makers of such excellent games as No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, AvP 2, and FEAR 1 and 2. It also had Bruce Boxleitner's voice as well as the woman from the original film (I forget her name). The interesting part was how close the story seems to parallel some of Legacy's story, except there the main character is Alan's son, not Flynn's, who was himself AWOL.

Monolith made Blood 1, the Evil Dead 3 of gaming. Not to mention the awesome AI of FEAR 1, later completely wasted in F2. NOLF games were quite fun too, and also a good display of what Lithtech could really do instead of low poly garbage other developers used it for.

I hate the way Tron Evolution wasted the original style (movie seems to look similar). Tron imitated the then rare and rad vector graphics quite well, had a distinct look. Now so many movies use CGI and look game-like, that a few neon lights won't give the wow! effect. They should've turned the characters into 8-bit sprites :grin:

How did I miss this? I loved The Tron but it didn't effect me much but still very inspiring -- and not too "disney." I recently was looking to get it on DVD but it seems the only one is very expensive now.

Jedi (page 1)::

Tron was the one that introduced the idea of people living inside computers.

The earliest I know of is the 1976 Whoopisode The Deadly Assassin. They even called it a Matrix. I have that whoopisode on DVD; its not exactly the best but it did alot with the background story of the Time Lord home planet of Gallifrey.

The Doctor realises that the Master sent the Doctor the premonition of the assassination through the Matrix, a vast electronic neural network which can turn thought patterns into virtual reality. He decides to enter the Matrix as a means of tracking the Master. Engin warns him that if he dies in the virtual world, he will die in the real world as well.

Somebody may have done the idea earlier. Anybody here know?

Add me to The List. Never saw ET either. :good:

You know, if there was one movie tie-in game that should have been done right, it was Tron:Evolution.

Think about it...who is TRON Legacy's core audience...it's going to be those emergent gamers from almost 30 years ago. Those folks who fell in love with the idea of playing inside the computer, before the word 'cyberspace' became common. Those folks have had almost 30 years of gaming and computer experience, seeing the whole progress of the videogame from simple vector based objects to darn near photo realistic environments.

That core audience is going to be computer savvy, gaming savvy, and importantly, probably have significant amounts of income they would be willing to spend on a touchstone of their childhood. But as almost 30 year gamers, they've seen a lot of stuff come and go, and have learned the wisdom of what to buy and what to avoid...along with the jaded sense of knowing that 99% of movie tie-in games are utter crap.

Honestly, they shouldn't have bothered...do the movie right and don't spin your wheels releasing crap games.

I'm happy playing Tron 2.0...it still looks great, and even works better with mods that bring the game close to modern graphics standards.

Now, hopefully the movie will be done right...more awesomeness in the meantime.

FC