Sign in to follow this  
Dave

A Good Sim You Aren't Playing

I'd love to give that game a try, but I'm afraid my laptop would spontaneously combust trying to run something like that!!!

I'd love to give that game a try, but I'm afraid my laptop would spontaneously combust trying to run something like that!!!

There as a huge number of settings you can tweak to get it to run on a wide range of systems. Well worth it IMHO.

Not sure what laptop you are using but it is basically five year old code updated here and there in ways that dont hit frame rate too hard, so it runs on anything with reasonable specs and 128MB graphics card. I'd be surprised if you can't get it running nicely!

H

I've just downloaded it and patched up to 2.08.

Wow !

Taking some getting used to but I simply cannot believe how many aircraft there are ! :good:

Talk about feeling as if you're really in it. Luv the radio chatter.

Runs sweet as a nut too.

Just when I thought it was safe to step away from the PC... :biggrin:

Attention to detail is simply astounding. I pride myself on having a good knowledge of RAF markings, codes etc in WW2 and everything is spot on.

Can't even take off correctly! :biggrin:

What have been said about realism is quite true, all the more with those propeller things so complicated to fly. I'll have some time to get used to controlls, find how to be the same pilot in campaign (whose strategical aspect don't bother me too much as I'm also a wargame player) and a few other things before being able to fully enjoy it. But my overall impression is indeed very good.

Well... I'm using a laptob which dates back to last year. I've no particular frame-rate issues or any lag, or wwhatever, all on max. But indeed, the machin gets very hot (just like with heavily crowded thirdwire campaigns). I've now turned down shadows (well no time to watch them) and a few other things in order not to spoil ressources on eye candy I will never pay attention to (shadows are the best example) and we'll see how it do.

It runs fine on my Alienware laptop that is about 18 months old.

I am loving the 2.08 patch, anyone else liking it?

Having CTD with it. Downloading DirectX as we speak, it's related. Will give my opinion later.

I've just downloaded it and patched up to 2.08.

NFG, you downloaded the game? Where can I get it to download to the UK? The only place I've seen so far implied that they only sold to North America, and I was stealing myself for a trip to Game.

NFG, you downloaded the game? Where can I get it to download to the UK? The only place I've seen so far implied that they only sold to North America, and I was stealing myself for a trip to Game.

Well after these reviews I have just purchased myself a copy on Ebay along with Strike Fighters and F-18 Hornet for £5.90 plus postage now that what I call a deal see the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMBAT-FLIGHT-COLLEC...p3911.m14.l1318

Lazboy

It's a revelation to be able to peer out of the cockpit looking forward over the cowling.

I love landing this way...I can almost feel the wind in my hair :biggrin:

It's taking some getting used to but I really like this sim. Feels a little "quirkier" than the TW sims, in a flight model related way. I mean, it feels right but you have to learn a whole new way of flying.

...and oh, trim ! I can trim my a\c.

I'm a happy bunny.

I downloaded it from www.a2a.simulations.com, the place Dave mentioned. It's not just North America...it worked for me using the Paypal option. Just took about an hour for the transaction to go through, their end (was on PDT).

Downloaded no problem.

Is it just me or does the AI try to run into the clouds to loose me. If it's AI it's pretty smart.

Is it just me or does the AI try to run into the clouds to loose me. If it's AI it's pretty smart.

Yes, I think that's true. Been at the a2a forums great goldmine of info on BOB2 as you'd expect.

The AI is very good. Can be tweaked as well so it seems. Good eh !

I downloaded it from www.a2a.simulations.com, the place Dave mentioned. It's not just North America...it worked for me using the Paypal option. Just took about an hour for the transaction to go through, their end (was on PDT).

Downloaded no problem.

Thanks Nic - I guess I should have tried to download anyway instead of being scared off by the North America bit.

£10.33 from Paypal and downloading as I type.

I'd love to see if there's a spike in their sales since Dave started this thread!

BTW - about the 2.08 update - do I want the international version?

Edited by allenjb42

Thanks Nic - I guess I should have tried to download anyway instead of being scared off by the North America bit.

£10.33 from Paypal and downloading as I type.

I'd love to see if there's a spike in their sales since Dave started this thread!

Aren't those versions things language-only issues? I downloaded the international version, and among english it asked me, upon installation, the language I want.

(I was afraid of having suddenly a french-speaking game on radio chatters, but they keep speaking english. Great for immersion! )

I got this sim ages ago, I had to as it is developed from rowans original (just wish the same company could do the same for mig alley)

simply a fantastic sim, as a rl pilot I can say flight dynamics seem well modelled i.e. the aircraft will bite if mis handled and depart in a realistic manner, the A.I. is very smart, sometimes you think it's another human on a multiplayer session, if you manage to shoot something down you know you deserved the kill,

The graphics are v good and will run pretty well on full with an average machine, there are some cute features like looking out the side of the cockpit (this feature is awesome used with track ir) NFG's description of the feature is spot on, I can almost feel the wind through her hair too :haha: but seriously if I had hair I would feel it too :biggrin:

U.I. is pretty good too with loads of settings to change, I could go on.

No. The English version is the one you want.

Multiskin is amazing too. Takes longer to load the game but well worth it.

The beauty of Buddye Lavender's BOBII AI is that they DO act in almost human ways...

What you are seeing is a defensive 'dive and zoom' maneuvre which the LW AI deliberately uses against the Merlin engined Spitfires and Hurricanes. If the AI is in clear air, it is hard for the RAF fighter to follow because they will carburettor stall if they try to follow without inverting. And if the AI is above the cloudbase it lets the AI make the most of diving into/beneath cloud and then transitioning to a new maneouvre once it has lost you. All the while making most of the Luftwaffe fighter's better vertical energy performance.

Freakin good eh?

The other nice thing about the AI is that every pilot has their own assigned skill level, and yes, the AI will also make mistakes! You will see aircraft at the lower skill levels are poorer at energy management, and less skilled at complicated maneouvres. At the higher levels, they are more aggressive, fly to (though not beyond) the edge of the performance envelope, and will rarely lose control but...it happens. The aces in BOBII are not superhuman, they behave more like very very good but human pilots.

Last night I got onto the tail of an RAF Hero AI, (you can check by setting labels on in the GUI options and in the BDG.txt file setting 'show movecodes' to ON. Then just press T to see who/what you are up against). It was the devil's work sticking with him but after about five minutes I finally got an angle and took a snapshot. It missed, but he flipped into a panic turn and went into a flat spin. I tried to follow him but he recovered before I reacquired him, went into a slow climb away from me to get some height and then the fight was on again!

And while I was obsessing on him, a flight of Spits came up behind us, and nailed me. You HAVE to remember it's a big sky full of enemies in BOBII.

Lesson learned. I took a screenshot and have put it over my PC to remind myself where target fixation will get you.

482658119_02b97e8cc8_b.jpg

Great video advert for BOB II.

Vid by Reflected over at the a2a sim board.

Enjoy....

It seems good,But I prefer il-2 46,you can get anyplane you want (except 2 of my favs the he-219 and the fiat g-55) and on the second WoE ww2(custom) but I can fly many Italian planes!

It seems good,But I prefer il-2 46,you can get anyplane you want (except 2 of my favs the he-219 and the fiat g-55) and on the second WoE ww2(custom) but I can fly many Italian planes!

That's ok X-RAY, but the whole idea of BOB II is to be as realistic as possible and there were limited aircraft types involved.

Perhaps in a future update they may include the Italian aircraft which participated in the battle !

Personally I'd like to fly a Blackburn Skua or Roc (don't laugh) and try to emulate S/Leader D.H. Clarke's exploits.

see here http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/Memories.htm#Shunned

That's ok X-RAY, but the whole idea of BOB II is to be as realistic as possible and there were limited aircraft types involved.

Perhaps in a future update they may include the Italian aircraft which participated in the battle !

Personally I'd like to fly a Blackburn Skua or Roc (don't laugh) and try to emulate S/Leader D.H. Clarke's exploits.

see here http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/Memories.htm#Shunned

I know Nicky,I've normally saw this game on the shop shelves,i'll give it a try in the week end!!!!

Normally if I fly Brit Tempest is the my fav,I know that was not involved in BoB but Intercepting V1...maybe will be an addon if it's possible!

but talking about battles over the Channel-I'm crossing fingers and waiting Storm of war!!!