Yeah but the player was the F-5 (or is that a T-38 not sure of the difference)

What's your goal? Flying the B-52 and launching the X-15, or being the X-15 getting launched by the B-52?

If it's the first part, that's easy.

If it's the second part, it's tougher, but doable, as the picture shows.

FastCargo

gallery_12105_43_150320.jpg

Very different design philosophies...

The XF-103 has been updated quite a bit...sent it back to Wrench,The for his evaluation.

The FM is just about done...handles just like you'd think an aircraft like this would handle...turns like a brick. She'll do Mach 3+ and can cruise at 60000+ feet but takes a while to get there...the ramjet doesn't get efficient until above Mach 1.

Front weapons bays are full automatic, we've finally figured out why automatic bays only work in certain situations. Rear weapon bays are manual...and the AI will use rockets in air to air combat.

After playing with this for a while, I can tell you, she was definitely built with only one thing in mind...to be a high speed point interceptor against non-manuvering bombers. Anything else, she's pretty much out of her element (maybe a high speed tac recon platform)...

FastCargo

Someone should try to get Lexx's attention.

Someone should try to get Lexx's attention.

oh yeah, he's the 60's head over here. :biggrin:

Glad to see that it's coming along!

That looks really cool. Somewhat scary, but cool.

And can I bee the first to say that the MiG-17 in the picture looks amazing.

was just thinking about this one yesterday, saw a clip about it on the military history chanel: "secret aircraft of the superpowers"" or omething like that.

Craig

Had it up to mach 3.53 a little while ago, at 42-odd thousand feet. Takes a little time to 'build up a head of steam', but it gets there.

I'm reminded of Zaphod Bebbelbrox's quote about some space-car thingy in the original "Hitchhiker Guide"...

"looks like fish, moves like a fish...turns like a cow"

but it most assuredily goes fast in a straight line!!!!!

Haven't tested it against SAMs yet...wonder if it'll outrun a Guideline.....hmmmm.....

Wrench

kevin stein

Ooo, cool, so you added the "Infinite Improbability" engine?

That should increase the odds to 1,425,327.1 to 1, and falling...

:biggrin:

Hmm..that would explain why the Tu-16s turned into pots of flowers and a very surprised looking whale, after dropping out of 'burner.

Now, if we could just do something abou the AIM-4A & Bs.....they don't even hit the ground!!! I mean, they don't even track!!

But the FFARs work!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

That was the thing I noticed too...the AIM-4 series...kinda suck! Hell, you'd be better off using them as FFARs...

FastCargo

oh yeah, he's the 60's head over here. :biggrin:

Or maybe he is cooking up a secret plot to take down the Thunderwarrior through an even more insane PVO interceptor? :rofl:

wow, it seems that designers in the 50's/60's weren't much interested in turning...

and I thought the F-4 was bad. The only thing that coud knock that sucker down is, well, anything that has the luck of finding it below mach 2. What's approach speed?

Edited by Rambler 1-1

Now, if we could just do something abou the AIM-4A & Bs.....they don't even hit the ground!!! I mean, they don't even track!!

But the FFARs work!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

If you are planning on doing the follow-up version (the one with 4xAIM-4s, 2xAIM-47s and no FFARs), I could come up with a nice looking AIM-47....

That diagram depicts the XF-103, which by that point had evolved into a test airframe only for testing the radar and AIM-47 missile to be later used in the F-108.

My F-103 is to be based on the original proposed short range interceptor version, with the AIM-4s and FFARs.

FC