FastCargo passed this on to me, to see what I can do with it.

I'm sure some folks wondered what happened to it...Well, I'm doing my best. Here's some progress shots showing skinning and decals and some details:

103-1.jpg

103-2.jpg

103-3.jpg

Yes, for the purists, the Buzz number prefix IS correct - it was assigned to the F-103. Serials, however ... well, they're fantasy.

It's almost to the point where (hopefully!!!!) some FM guru can take a look at it. The existing FM is,well, in FC's own words -a mix-match of things.

There's still a major cockpit issue--don't know if that can be fixed, but I"m gonna ask FC if in can't fiddle the animations so the main gear door stay open, so you all can see the neat detailing in there.

Enjoy!

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, The,

I was just wondering about the XF-103...glad to see you're doing some good with it! It looks WAY cooler in your hands than in mine...

As far as the main gear doors go, I assume you mean when the gear is down, keeping the gear doors open verses closing them. Easy enough to do...

Also, I think, after doing some more research, I found where the 36 FFARs were supposed to go, I can add that in the model pretty easily, without messing up the mapping, along with the proper ini entries. The big thing I was trying to do was to avoid the missiles and rockets from 'hitting' other parts of the model when they were fired.

Finally, I guess the 'faceting' is still showing up in the rudder and 'tiperons'...I couldn't figure out a way to minimize that. Any ideas from folks smarter than me?

FastCargo

The right tiperon has a HUGE decal bleed, which is why I moved the star/usaf off of them. Also some bleed under the front nose, forward of the gear bay.

Yah, if you could get the doors to stay open on the ground, I can tweek out the interior of bays a little more. Also, is there anyway to add a forward bulkhead, that would seal off the cockpit from the inside view?? Maybe break the mesh down into 'main body' and 'nose' - that might help with decaling. Or is this a cockpit lod thingy?? Damn Thuds with all their window!!

I've almost got the proposco-scope/cockpit view dial in - which means that everytime I change it, it moves the wrong way!! Or too much the right way!! Want to get the gunsight centered on the porthole (for landlubbers--its that round llittle window!!)

Still can't figure out where the interior of the intake scoop is mapped to, and the "engine inlet" bulkhead. The damn nosewheel tire it too small -- I'll expand the 'black' area.

FM wise!!! Oi!!! don't want want to go there...

I was, however, thinking of adding a 2nd engine, to simulate the ramjet; would only operate at 85-100% throttle, but I'd need to cut the SFC to 0, so it don't run the bird dry. Russo' Lightning's Avon burner might be a good sound.

As to the faceting, ask Julheim or Dels or the TMF guys or any 3d dude -- I'm just a crappy skinner! :wink:

Rockets...hmm...there's some good ones in my F-89D upgrade...at least they fire. But I did use Lexx's cheat to mount them, so the AI pilots will fire them.

Wrench

kevin stein

nice looking.

it seems somehow similar to the dear old x-15 that i was flying in orbiter yesterday.

Da real interceptor in da house!!!

Why, oh why would you finally figure out that the pilot cannot see to land and give him, what appears to be, a pop-up forward window? Why not give him one to start with? Engineers, you can educate them and dress them up, but you cannot take them out in public and they'll never fly in their products!

Why, oh why would you finally figure out that the pilot cannot see to land and give him, what appears to be, a pop-up forward window? Why not give him one to start with? Engineers, you can educate them and dress them up, but you cannot take them out in public and they'll never fly in their products!

I resent that remark, I fly my products all the time. Admittedly they are SUPPOSED to be ground vehicles...

Nice, another classic line of century series!!! :clapping:

Jug, I think it has something to do with 'The Thermal Barrier" (an old sci-fi movie term -bonus points to ID movie it comes from) near Mach 3. I guess they couldn't get glass to witstand the heating/cooling cycles. Or maybe airflow was better over the smooth nose?? :dntknw:

Didn't seem to stop the X-15 from having windows to see forward...and hitting Mach, what, 6?

They (Republic) DID test the periscope concept on the F-84 that flew cross-country, with all the other windows blacked out, said the pilot had no problems (talk about being under the hood -IFR all the way??)

The cockpit view is pretty open, from the inside. Can't get it blocked off, no matter what I try. Need FC to create a bulkhead. This is, of coures, after I get the damn periscipe lined up with the pilot's view.

What really had me bugged last night -after 4 hours of fiddling with the wing lights, as the seemed to keep moving up and down...FC HAS created the variable incidence wing. Pre-take off, the lights are sitting on top where they belong. As the gear comes up, and the wing moves to the level flight position, the lights (as they don't move) drop to the UNDERSIDE of the wing. I was going 'round in circles with that one! Methinks that'll just get left alone!!! "It's not a bug, it'a a FEATURE!" :haha:

Must be a way around it, like the Crusaders...in the process of more investigation.

Wrench

kevin stein

You should have a separate material for the gears and stuff so that they are flat and the fuselage glossy.

Found a better cockpit...

Periscope retracted:

103-4.jpg

Periscope extended:

103-5.jpg

Weapons fit, with "modified" GAR-5 Nuke Falcon (the ones that never got built - I cheated a little on years/mounts)

103-6.jpg

Now, if I could just figure out how to cover those windows...

Wrench

kevin stein

Cover windows?! why maybe I can help after the next thursday?! Can create some cover for it or you send the 3D Max file?!

Wrench, The,

Okay, much better choice on cockpit. Hey, what exactly are you trying to achieve....because this is what I was shooting for:

gallery_12105_43_12771.jpg

Now this works because of a line in the cockpit.ini file:

OpenCockpit=TRUE

I'm using this in WOI...it allows me to use the inside of the aircraft model for the cockpit 'walls' and windows.

I'm going to try another line of attack to fix the faceting.

Also, Julhelm, thanks for the advice on the gear...but I really need help in figuring why Wrench is getting bleed problems even though all the pieces pass the STL check.

And Wrench, The I think for the lights I may just have to make 'slimers' for the position lights on the wings. I can't figure out a way to make the lights move using just the ini files...

I should have something in a couple of hours...though I have no idea where the position lights go on the wings.

Pic's not showing, just a redX

That could be why...I'm building/testing in WoE.

I'll shift if over to my BunyapPak WoI install, and see what gives. Wonder if the patch will fix that for WoE/SF/WoV???

as to the lights:

[LeftPositionLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.88,0.25,0.25

Brightness=0.03

Position=-3.30,-3.10,-0.25

LightSrcOffset=0.2,0.0,0.0

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

[RightPositionLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.25,0.88,0.25

Brightness=0.03

Position=3.30,-3.10,-0.25

LightSrcOffset=-0.2,0.0,0.0

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

//[LowerLeftPositionLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.88,0.25,0.25

Brightness=0.03

Position=-3.30,-3.10,-0.35

LightSrcOffset=-0.2,0.0,0.0

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

//[LowerRightPositionLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.25,0.88,0.25

Brightness=0.03

Position=3.30,-3.10,-0.35

LightSrcOffset=0.2,0.0,0.0

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

[TopFuselageLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.88,0.25,0.25

Brightness=0.05

Position=0.0,-0.64,0.90

LightSrcOffset=0.0,0.0,0.1

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=TRUE

FlashTime=0.40

[bottomFuselageLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.88,0.25,0.25

Brightness=0.05

Position=0.0,-0.64,-1.79

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=TRUE

FlashTime=0.60

[TailLight1]

SystemType=LIGHT

Position=-0.05,-9.50,2.0

LightSrcOffset=-0.20,0.00,0.00

Color=0.66,0.66,0.60

Brightness=0.03

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

[TailLight2]

SystemType=LIGHT

Position=0.05,-9.50,2.0

LightSrcOffset=0.20,0.00,0.00

Color=0.66,0.66,0.60

Brightness=0.03

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

[LandingLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.88,0.88,0.88

Position=0.0,3.55,-1.40

Brightness=0.07

LightSrcOffset=2.6046,49.0560,3.50

LightSrcRange=150

LightRange=45.0

CanFlash=FALSE

LightNodeName=LandingLight

IsLandingLight=TRUE

[LowerLeftFuesLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.66,0.66,0.60

Brightness=0.02

Position=0.60,1.5,-1.50

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

FlashTime=0.30

[LowerRightFuesLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.66,0.66,0.60

Brightness=0.02

Position=-0.60,1.5,-1.50

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

FlashTime=0.30

You'll note the commented out lower wing lights. Not sure if they're really needed or what :dntknw:

Wrench

kevin stein

DUUUUHH...NOW I see what you mean...

103_pit_woi.jpg

It must be the First Eagles coding incorporated into WoI that allows this

That's cool!! :ok:

Wrench

kevin stein

The decal bleed and faceting are probably down to unwelded vertices and resultant bad smoothing groups. I suggest you manually go over every part and check the number of vertices, manually welding as you go. If that fails, rebuild the troubled polys.

Quick question, was this, like the x-15, launched from a B-52? I have an idea to simulate it...

Nope, was to have taken off and landed like any other aircraft. Hence the landing gear, with Real Wheels ™.

Still have to fiddle/fudge the A-A rockets (simliart to what I did with the Scorpion). Skinning and decaling is 98.6% ™ complete.

It's acuatlly at the point were a FM Guru needs to start looking at it, to fix a bunch of 'glitches'.

It's been put aside, temporarilay, whilst I work on some CBI/PTO stuff. I'll be back to it soon

Wrench

kevin stein

Yeah but the player was the F-5 (or is that a T-38 not sure of the difference)