Sign in to follow this  
DWCAce

Opening Ceremony

Style over substance! bit shallo.... actually cant talk being in the UK - where its everything :)

I saw,lovely.

I just didn't understand what you said..... :blink:

But I know..now :dntknw:

Wow, they didn't want the less pretty girl..........................I'm not watching the Olympics.

seems they've learned how to do productions from Hollywood...............................

China used a different girl to 'sing', and used some different footage of fire works (not that I care about that part).

Check out the BBC link for more info:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

That's not improtant.

WE CHINESE do not want to make any mistake,you know.

Edited by Erwin_Hans

You know, having lived through so many Olympics now, I've come to realize...I just don't care. Just like I don't care about any other sporting event of any other type!

I've never been able to understand the allure of watching someone play a sport. To play it yourself, great, I get that. I just don't get spectating.

I don't get reality shows either. Put all of them in a big "so what" category.

You know, having lived through so many Olympics now, I've come to realize...I just don't care. Just like I don't care about any other sporting event of any other type!

I've never been able to understand the allure of watching someone play a sport. To play it yourself, great, I get that. I just don't get spectating.

I don't get reality shows either. Put all of them in a big "so what" category.

Agree.

They win in this sport...they win in another sprot.

So what? That's nothing for us.

Agree.

They win in this sport...they win in another sprot.

So what? That's nothing for us.

Right guys, so what! These olympic athletes are just the best in the world at what they do and an example of the potential of the human body and mind. Competing in sports that test the limits of human capabilities. Now excuse me while I go grab a beer and make myself a hot dog..

seems they've learned how to do productions from Hollywood...............................

They don't get a movie director (Zhang Yimou, Hero is a good watch) to do this whole thing for nothing.

I've yet to determine the limits that are broken playing volleyball or bobsledding.

I've yet to determine the limits that are broken playing volleyball or bobsledding.

I'd love to hear you say that to the top volleyball and bobsled athletes, that train everyday for hours to perfect their technique and become the best in the world. Even table tennis (ping pong) at that top world class level, pushes the human limits, both mental and physical.

Right guys, so what! These olympic athletes are just the best in the world at what they do and an example of the potential of the human body and mind. Competing in sports that test the limits of human capabilities. Now excuse me while I go grab a beer and make myself a hot dog..

You forgot the most important capability: to find the limits of pharmaceuticals :biggrin:

I'd love to hear you say that to the top volleyball and bobsled athletes, that train everyday for hours to perfect their technique and become the best in the world. Even table tennis (ping pong) at that top world class level, pushes the human limits, both mental and physical.

There are people that spend 80+ hrs a week playing World of Warcraft and perfecting their techniques to become the best, does that make them special atheletes too?

So you're the best there is at ping pong...you should be allowed to make a living doing that? You deserve acclaim?

The point is there are lines that should not be crossed, but the Olympics have crossed them. Where's the Olympic poker tournament or film festival?

Just because something takes hard work and talent doesn't mean it's worthy of being in the Olympics.

Weren't the original olympics built around necessary military skills? Throwing, running... was there any shooting?

Maybe they should get back to this :biggrin: rally, heli and plane races, UAV aerobatics, precise para drops, sniper fire, gas mask wearing, nuke testing.

That's no cheat..

It was boardcasted as PERFORMED BY but not SUNG BY

Edited by Erwin_Hans

I'd like to see a combination of ski jumping and skeet!

:biggrin:

Edited by Typhoid

This is done all the time in popular music - usually with backing singers backstage substituted by "pretty" girls/guys who lipsync up front, but annoyingly often also with lead singers who simply lipsync to a prerecorded backing track.

Generally speaking, lip syncs are done for a specific narrow range of reasons. These range from singer also doing a dance routine (which would make their singing breathless and not very enjoyable) to singer not feeling well (so croaking avoided) to technical difficulties with mic.

The best example of this is the old Gene Kelly film "Singing in the Rain" about the days of Hollywood when talking films first came onto the scene. The beautiful silent film star had a miserable voice so a "less pretty" girl with a great voice was forced to sing behind a curtain for her and dub her films.

There are people that spend 80+ hrs a week playing World of Warcraft and perfecting their techniques to become the best, does that make them special atheletes too?

So you're the best there is at ping pong...you should be allowed to make a living doing that? You deserve acclaim?

The point is there are lines that should not be crossed, but the Olympics have crossed them. Where's the Olympic poker tournament or film festival?

Just because something takes hard work and talent doesn't mean it's worthy of being in the Olympics.

Well my previous posts was in answer to you guys putting the olympics in the 'so what' category and not worth watching. Now you're talking about certain sports not belonging in the olympics... That's a whole other argument.

The IOC probably have their own definition of what is a 'sport' and what can and cannot make it in the olympics. For example chess tried to get in, but in the end they got their own olympiad.

My point was that these young men and women who are scary talented and the best in the world, should not be in a 'so what' category.

over and out

Doesn't that exist somewhere? Like, one guy skis to somewhere, shoots something, then skis again, shoots again. And repeat. It was something from the Winter Olympics, IIRC.

This is done all the time in popular music - usually with backing singers backstage substituted by "pretty" girls/guys who lipsync up front, but annoyingly often also with lead singers who simply lipsync to a prerecorded backing track.

And the people who are behind the lipsynching usually get criticized for it. Milli Vanilli was a perfect example of how lame this really is. Whoever made the choice to use the pretty girl to lipsync was an idiot.