Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Comfort Foods

We all have them, a certain meal that just makes you feel good. Comfort foods are usually simple and easy to prepare. I think simplicity is the hall mark of a goof comfort food meal. So here is mine, I have 3.

Breakfast: Fried Egg sandwich. Just a fried egg on a 2 pieces of buttered untoasted bread. A great thing to eat after a midnight shift.

Lunch: A BTL, my mom used to make the best and I rarely do I pass up and opportunity to have one. I use a very good thick, I mean thick (I usually buy an uncut slab and cut it myself) sliced peppered bacon, beefsteak tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, Hellman's real mayo. On occasion I kick the mayo up with a touch of red pepper. Just outstanding.

Dinner: Kielbasa sausage and fried potatoes with sauerkraut. With a side of a spicy mustard. I get lazy and use a store bought mustard, but once in awhile I make my own. The potatoes can not be just any ole potato either. It is mandatory that they are Yukon Golds. This is how you do them, you boil them with the skin on. Chop them into cubes, the fried them in olive oil until crispy. Add a bit of kosher salt and white pepper and you are set. With the sausage, split it down the middle and cook until you get some char on it. Bingo, its done. I use Boars Head sauerkraut or Vlasic. No good sauerkraut ever came out of a can.

Ok your turn. What food does it for you?

Never heard of comfort food till I got married. My wife enjoys various things all the time, mostly built around eggs. Me personally? Gimme a half gallon of vanilla or a buttery bowl of popcorn with parmesan...lol.

Beer

Greycap, don't ruin the thread. Beer is another category by itself. :biggrin: j/k

My step-mom's drop scones with Lyle's Golden Syrup for breakfast.

My girls chicken curry and rice pulao( its an anglo-indian aromatic fried rice with cardamom and cinnamon).

And my granny's plum cake for tea

My dad's lasagne for dinner!

As a child of the 70s, to me its all those wonderful suger-filled sweets we use to be able to get but now only rarely find in stores. Anyone else remember back when swedish fish were almost a foot long instead of those bite sized versions we have today? I have to mention Count Chocula, I was thrilled when that started showing up in stores again, brings back saturday morning cartoon memories. Its no wonder i was a hyper-active child, but back then they didn't give ya pills, they just told ya to go outside and play! The bad side is my Dentist loves me, that sadistic SOB! :rofl:

I like all sorts of food...everything from a nice juicy steak to kimchi with plain white rice...this is a problem for my waist...:biggrin:.

Having said that, there is something I really like, but it's REALLY bad for you....I call it 'Breakfast Crack'.

McDonalds McGriddles.

Sausage, egg, cheese on a bun that basically was two pancakes injected with syrup. Probably enough calories for 2 full days. But gawd, that stuff is good!

I only eat ONE every other month...otherwise, I'd probably die within a week...

FastCargo

Thank God Im Young!

A large plate of HUMUS with olive oil splashed all over it, with a spoon full of home made SeHOOG. (The Israeli version of red hot chili peper, that can blow your head off :biggrin: ) (original came from Yaman)

One or two Pitas to wipe the plate clean. :biggrin:

Another option is to shove the whole thing right into the pita.

It will go nicely with shishkabab, Hamburger, a large steak, shnitzel and so on as far as your imagination goes.

(No, I do not brush my tooth with Humus. :biggrin: )

Breakfast: Nothing like a good homemade set up of pancakes, syrup (artificile or natural), eggs (anyway). I also like Belgian waffles with Coolwhip :) The other day I also found another favorite @ the Airport Diner: The Philly Omelet, basically it's a Philly Cheesteak in an omelet.

Lunch: Nothing like a Reuben (also available at the Airport Diner:) ) or a good old sandwhich.

Dinner: Spaghetti w/meatballs, golash (not to be confused with galosshes, which are hard to eat!), and lasagna (Jen' makes an awesome one with 3 meats, and each slice weighs like 3lbs). Oh, and if I'm at the diner, I go with the Pot Roast Dinner!

Ice cream: Rocky Road (but not if it has walnuts), or pistachio.

Italian food. Wait, I mean good Italian food. :wink:

I can always be happy in an Italian restaurant, or ordering something Italian off the menu at a place that isn't, as long as it's good.

A few things, not necessarily the quickest of foods to prepare but damn good all the same. First up is your own Mother's roast dinner, nothing in the world beats it. Roast meat, can be beef, gammon, lamb, even chicken or turkey. Then some lovely roast potatoes, I would personally go with maris pipers king edwards. Then some carrots, beans or garden peas, maybe some broccoli thrown on too and of course a great big crispy yorkie pud on the side. To finish off, drizzle a big load of bisto all over it. Then put on whatever sauce goes with the appropriate meat, mint for lamb, stuffing for turkey etc.

Other comfort foods for me include a garlic baguette and also crispy duck in pancakes with cucumber, spring onions and hoisin sauce.

Edited by JimmyBib

This:

cadbury-crunchie-1.jpg

...is like crack for me at the moment. I've been inhaling the stuff!

Other than that, if I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, Indian and/or Yiros wouldn't be a bad way to spent it... Come to think of it, I don't think I've had a roast in nigh on 2 years now... damned vego gingernut gf is the cause of that I think. Damn, 2 years... :doh:

One truly comfort food that I can think of right now are those cuban sandwiches that 7 Eleven sell. The most important thing though, otherwise its just another bland gas station sandwich, is to have them mash it for you. That's what I like to call it but they have a machine that toasts and mashes the thing until its pefectly melted and the bread crispy. This is a comfort food I learned from my folks. Usually this is something we would and still do before a long drive. For my folks though the whole meal is cubans and a bag of Munchos. I usually don't care for the munchos as they are a little to greasy for me.

Even if there is no long trip sometimes I'll just do it for lunch. Sometimes I'll get two mashed cubans(they are very tasty and sometimes you need two ok), cool ranch Doritos, and of course the most important ingredient to the whole meal, Dr. Pepper(Usually the super big gulp).

But I'm telling you, the sandwiches are tasty, warm and a soothing type of food.

When I was a kid my mother used to make this dish with shredded pork simmered in a spicy gravy that was served over mashed potatoes. It was super simple to make but it always seemed better the next day as left-overs. To this day when I make it (about once a year) I always make it a day ahead to give it time to "mature" in the gravy.

This:

cadbury-crunchie-1.jpg

...is like crack for me at the moment. I've been inhaling the stuff!

Other than that, if I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, Indian and/or Yiros wouldn't be a bad way to spent it... Come to think of it, I don't think I've had a roast in nigh on 2 years now... damned vego gingernut gf is the cause of that I think. Damn, 2 years... :doh:

When I was in London in June I tried the "Cadbury Dairy Milk with Caramel" for the first time. In the two weeks I was there I ended up eating two bags of the things and brought home two bags. I completely understand your addiction.

Breakfast: Nothing like a good homemade set up of pancakes, syrup (artificile or natural), eggs (anyway). I also like Belgian waffles with Coolwhip :) The other day I also found another favorite @ the Airport Diner: The Philly Omelet, basically it's a Philly Cheesteak in an omelet.

Lunch: Nothing like a Reuben (also available at the Airport Diner:) ) or a good old sandwhich.

Dinner: Spaghetti w/meatballs, golash (not to be confused with galosshes, which are hard to eat!), and lasagna (Jen' makes an awesome one with 3 meats, and each slice weighs like 3lbs). Oh, and if I'm at the diner, I go with the Pot Roast Dinner!

Ice cream: Rocky Road (but not if it has walnuts), or pistachio.

Every time I try to go to the Airport Diner, the line is always out the door.

Breakfast to me is a grilled bagel with cream cheese and bacon. It has to be grilled (with the grease from the grille and little bits of bacon, etc. adding all sorts of great greasy goodness) not just toasted.

Makaron_ze_smacznym_sosem_3661.jpg

Who don't like that?!

So, I like eating Italian dishes (pasta)

Breakfast:

Sandwich, coffe, or tea...

Second breakfast:

nothing (sometimes I eat rool)...

Lunch:

Hmmm, In poland are many many dish (kielbasa :biggrin: , (nice translate Dave) pierogi ( :blink: ), or ufff many, many....).

Dinner:

Sandwich, pancake , tea.

Thats all! (this is whole Polish day :haha: )...

Buffalo Wings. I go to my friends place Snows Resturaunt & Bar. I have been all over this country. The first place I hit is the local wing joint. So far the wings at Snows are the BEST I have ever had. I could go to Worcester only minutes to get there many places to get wings, or I could go to Boston about 45 min to get there, tons of wing joints. I drive 35 min and go to a small New England town called Ware, yup thats it. Where you goin? Goin to Snows in Ware to get me some Wings and Beer. If you are ever in the area go to Snows in Ware, Ma. ask a local they will point you in the right direction. Ware is about half way between the cities of Worcester and Springfield Massachusettes.

Edited by MAKO69

(No, I do not brush my tooth with Humus. :biggrin: )

I do :biggrin: j/k

Reminds me of when Zohan put out the fire with the Humus. F@%$^hilariouse