Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Other F-111 Projects Left to Do

The B was a miserable failure and it was a good thing the Navy didn't buy them. I am having a hard time even trying to put the package together to release. Talk about all the plane I really really dislike. Er, I would of rather flown the F7U Gutlass than the F-111B. Both rank up the as terds of Naval aviation.

That is pretty unfair to the F7U. Pilots have said that when everything was working, the Cutlass was a great airplane to fly--the problem was that it had so many advanced features that there were never any times where everything was working.

Had the Westinghouse engines not proved disastrously underpowered, it and several other 1950s naval aircraft would have better reputations.

The F-111B is just a terd. The other F-111s aren't that much better but at least the Air Force found roles in which they could excel.

Just imagine if McNamara had never existed. Then the navy would've been stuck with the F-6D Missileer - Talk about a one-trick turd.

Oh, and another thing: It'd be interesting to do the Boeing competitor which was really what the USAF wanted, but somehow GD in Fort Worth got the contract, lol.

I still think that expecting a light bomber airframe to perform ACM like a fast mover is going to be frought with issues unless said light bomber platform resembles the Su-34 or something. Even the Tornado F.3/4 had these issues. Albeit, not to this degree.

Just imagine if McNamara had never existed. Then the navy would've been stuck with the F-6D Missileer - Talk about a one-trick turd.

The F6D was canceled before McNamara was in office. Late in 1960 I think.

A lot of Americans would not have died in Vietnam if he had never existed, though.

That is pretty unfair to the F7U. Pilots have said that when everything was working, the Cutlass was a great airplane to fly--the problem was that it had so many advanced features that there were never any times where everything was working.

Had the Westinghouse engines not proved disastrously underpowered, it and several other 1950s naval aircraft would have better reputations.

The F-111B is just a terd. The other F-111s aren't that much better but at least the Air Force found roles in which they could excel.

Had the Gutless got those engines for sure it might of turned out to alot better.

The F6D was canceled before McNamara was in office. Late in 1960 I think.

A lot of Americans would not have died in Vietnam if he had never existed, though.

AMEN!

Oh, and another thing: It'd be interesting to do the Boeing competitor which was really what the USAF wanted, but somehow GD in Fort Worth got the contract, lol.

Yep that was fishy too, things that make you go hmm....

Yep that was fishy too, things that make you go hmm....

acquisition decision influenced by Congressional interference driven by contractor contributions to re-election campaign funds?

tell me it isn't so!!

:wink:

I don't even remember what that beast was.

Well I am putting decals on her or it now. I feel dirty.... :lol:

as in two semi-blind Floggers making it back home?

Fitters actually.

Everything McNamara touched turned to crap. That is for damn sure.

Like Ford America.

Actually, I read a book once that made the case that the Navy unfairly handicapped the F-111B.

The conflicting requirements of BOTH sides, via McNamara of course, handicapped the F-111 programme. In particular, the Navy's requirement for side-by-side seating and a very wide radar dish, a throw back to the cancelled Missileer perhaps? The USAF definitely wanted tandem seating and a fairly small radar dish.

Each to their own but I find the F-111 a really good looking aeroplane.

yup. I was referring to the second time as Floggers were slightly more challenging.

Were you there?

Oh I have flown it.

But we would like to hear about it in your words.

would that be just a tad off-topic in an F-111 thread?

:biggrin:

gotta run at the moment - later

Edited by Typhoid

What do we do with the.... ahh F-111B? Did it have a name? Can't be Sea Pig.

My H-3 got first dibs on that. If the "B" was totaly unsuited for carrier ops. perhaps we should paint them up as VF(AW)-3 planes flying off the beach as ADC birds as that squadron did with F4Ds. Argh! No North Island base. How about Whidbey Island. Navy and Marine squadrons det out and change thier homeport.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Well, let's see, on the USAF side they chose a mammal to fit the silhouette of the aircraft (long nose), let's pick a sea mammal for the navy side doing justice to the silhouette...

F-111B Manatee...

F-111B SeaCow...

F-111B Beluga...

Edited by Gunrunner

Definitely Manatee...love it.

Actually, Orca would work if you're semi serious...it has about the same profile in the nose area.

FC

Just want to say to everyone involved in these birds... damn their good and its funny when the migs give up when your smoking in the weeds and short weeds at that....

Only problem I have with the F-111 is that it got the TSR-2 cancelled.... I know the TSR-2 had problems but they were not insurmountable... and that means no Tornado and might have ended up with the RAF having a real fighter instead of the F-3...

Edited by PACMAN

Well, Orca would be too much of a compliment for that "thing"...

Come to think of it... a F-111B in VF-84 colors, for the utter blasphemy of the thought would look nice named Orca...