Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

Private Flankers in the US

Interesting idea...contract out some of the aggressor flying to a company buying aircraft our likely oponents will be flying, so we can see just how an F-22 or F-35 will fare against a real flanker in A2A combat.

Holy crap, I know one of the guys who's running the company operating them...we used to fly together back in the day.

Hmmmm...might have to drop by and say howdy...

FC

ATSI hasn't done much Adversary work for quite some time. They lost a jet in 2003 and since then, has sold off some jets to BAE, and leased some to ATAC and another French company.

As of late, they are on contract with Boeing flying chase for the KC-767 program.

This Flanker has some important interests with companies other than the US military. It will be used for some test jobs, which did help it get here quickly.

Holy crap, I know one of the guys who's running the company operating them...we used to fly together back in the day.

Hmmmm...might have to drop by and say howdy...

FC

and just happen to drop your business card and resumes on the table..............

sounds like an interesting group. I noticed that they have been awarded some real contracts and are a prime on a current contract vehicle. (the project manager in me coming out) That's crucial. These guys are real.

having said that.....

They cannot actually do a real threat presentation given the number of aircraft available (5). Meaning they cannot take the place of an agressor squadron that can replicate flight and element tactics. yet..........

cool employment opportunity. Wonder if they need any controllers..............

Wonder if they need any controllers..............

Was just thinking the same thing.....maybe 2 controllers....

They cannot actually do a real threat presentation given the number of aircraft available (5). Meaning they cannot take the place of an agressor squadron that can replicate flight and element tactics. yet..........

I was thinking the same thing. Flags are fairly large exercises involving a lot of aircraft. 5 aircraft (assuming you put up 4 with 1 spare) isn't really a good representation of a large scale engagement, including simulated IADS, etc. The low numbers would be more appropriate for 1V1, 2V1, test type engagements which would be good in limited tactics development.

Hmmm...part time Flanker guy...

FC

I wonder if they need a fueler/deicer/trainer/line guy? :smile:

Very interesting - gotta respect the Su-27!

New Zealand's A-4Ks were to bought up by either ATAC or ATSI or both , but the US State Department has to approve. With the Sale of the Flankers that should not be a problem.

Edited by MAKO69

New Zealand's A-4Ks were to bought up by either ATAC or ATSI or both , but the US State Department has to approve. With the Sale of the Flankers that should not be a problem.

The Kiwi Scooters are still languishing under wraps at RNZAF Woodbourne. According to some sources, it is doubtful the airframes would be good for anything beyond spare parts.

Edited by ST0RM

I have read about the storage it's to bad their Labor Govt. loves wasting money. The storage and sale of the A-4 Ks was to produce some 100+ million. If the planes are only good for parts they may be able to get some money , but not what they wanted to get.

I wonder if they'll need someone work on chaff/flare, EWS, ECM, Radar, VHF, UHF....oh screw it. DO YOU GUYS NEED ELECTRONICS GEEKS I LOVE FLANKERS SO MUCH! :phew: Glad I got that out of my system.

I would pay any amount of money to see those beautiful birds fly! Now it joins the Mig-29UB already in the US under restoration to fly!! Goooo next generation Red Stars!!!! :clapping:

Hell, I wonder if they need a close up security person for them????? LOL.

If the planes are only good for parts they may be able to get some money , but not what they wanted to get.

It's not that, they're in tip top condition. The US government disapproved the sale because they were uncomfortable with the idea of a private company having advanced Skyhawks with PGM capability. For the most part, they're still in excellent condition (as per the conditions of the aborted sale). They should still be in service!

I'll bet they may make the occasional visit to airshows in their A.O.

I wonder if they need any younger, teenage, canidates for their next generation of pilots...

IS this related?

from http://www.defencetalk.com/us-buys-su-27-f...training-18795/

US buys Su-27 fighters from Ukraine for ‘aggressor’ training

MOSCOW: The United States has bought two Su-27 Flanker fighter aircraft to help train U.S. air force pilots to cope with the growing number of 4th-generation Russian aircraft sold around the world, a U.S. online magazine said.

The two aircraft have been bought from a private Ukrainian company by the Reno-based Tac Air, which provides training and test support for the military.

The fighter jets will also be used to test the effectiveness of new U.S. radars and electronic warfare equipment, the Strategy Page reported.

The 33-ton Su-27 is similar to the U.S. F-15, but costs some 30% less, the source said.

Su-27 fighter jets have been produced in Russia since 1982. They are still widely used in the Russian Air Force and are gradually undergoing maintenance repairs to extend their service life.

The Su-27 Flanker and its variant, the Su-30 Flanker C, account for a major share of Russia's arms exports. In the past, Russia's Sukhoi aircraft maker sold Su-27 and Su-30 fighters to China, India, Malaysia, Venezuela and Algeria.

In 2007, Sukhoi exported 50 of these aircraft, accounting for 50% of Rosoboronexport's export revenues.

According to U.S. sources, the two aircraft, which have been acquired in a commercial variant, stripped of weaponry, are being overhauled and modified by the U.S. Pride Air company.

Interesting that the reporter has spun the story to sound like the Flankers were purchased by the US Government directly. The military will benefit from them, sure, but being outright purchased like the Moldovan Fulcrums is something else.

"A commercial variant"??? Does this imply you can now buy them like a bizjet or something?