Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Guynemer and Esc.3 "Les cigognes" ("The Storks")

Just did a little research (I still know very little about WW1) about Esc3 "Les cigognes" (The Storks)

and Guynemer. I wanted to find out, were they were stationed, when, cause I'd like to meet him in

BHaH (simple minded as I am sometimes, I didn't think of just checking enlistment in Esc3 in BHaH).

Anyway, I found this site about the "Storks", with data and good photographs (three of them below).

Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Enjoy!

http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille003.htm

Edit/PS: at the bottom of the page are buttons for previous page and next page. There are also other Escadrilles!

Edited by Olham

Great finding Olham.

Most Guynemer photographs show him with a Spad or a Nupe, and good picture of him with the Morane monoplane is quite rare. Perhaps it was not his plane for long.

One of the plane i'd like to see in an OFF3 future add-on. :yes:

If only colour film was the norm in those days!...lol

Great pics there!

Trying to find profile pics for skinning can be quite hard...that site you linked me to Olham is a godsend!...wish there were more like that!

Thank you, Widowmaker. Do you still know that adress of the site with those post-war

American SPAD XIII designs? I've lost that.

Great pics! Escadrille 3 is one of favourite squadrons of WW1, some really great pilots served in its ranks. And the French made some excellent aircraft (they had the largest aviation industry in the world when the war started, but later the Brits overtook them with their superior industrial resources) - Nieuports, Spads, Salmsons, Breguets were all well-designed and very successful planes.

Speaking of colour film, I think most of the colour pictures taken during the war were French. They were the pioneers of photography, both black/white and colour.

Thank you, Widowmaker. Do you still know that adress of the site with those post-war

American SPAD XIII designs? I've lost that.

Cant find them..Ask Ricitycrate?

Certainly a top Escadrille; and today, the "Storks" are the elite Mirage Escadrille, I think.

At least was it that way in my "Mick Tangy" comics, which were drawn by the great Asterix

creator Uderzo (sic! Comics are another field, were the French are really great! Spirou and

Fantasio, with the Marsupilami...I'm gettin' carried away - were was I ?)

Certainly a top Escadrille; and today, the "Storks" are the elite Mirage Escadrille, I think.

At least was it that way in my "Mick Tangy" comics, which were drawn by the great Asterix

creator Uderzo (sic! Comics are another field, were the French are really great! Spirou and

Fantasio, with the Marsupilami...I'm gettin' carried away - were was I ?)

Just let me help you...you were just talking about french supremacy in many fields. In spite of modesty is one of them, i'm obliged to agree with you. :biggrin:

Most seriously, i've heard that Lilienthal was german, Wright bros were american, Antony Fokker was dutch, Sikorsky was russian, and british famous plane designers were innumerable...trying to answer which nation give the most to aviation is a waste of time.

WW1 aviation is really interesting for this: all nations at war gave te best they got to improve and create numerous new aircrafts. This upgrade aviation to high level within only 4 years .

What a way between the Taube or Bleriot of the early days and the Fokker DVII or Spad XIII at the end of the conflict!

Edited by Snoopy syndrome

Yep. And in WW2 it was similar. I always say, it was a competition of research and technology a lot;

a rivalry of the industries. Maybe men can become most creative as opponents or competitors.

(Strange only: why did the British never compete against the French on the field of cooking? Lol!!!

Uuuhh!!! Now I can see them sharpening the blades against me and my cheeky bigmouth!) :biggrin:

Thanks for the link. I'm reading his biography right now. He was a very remarkable man.

Yes. If you haven't seen it already: watch the movie "Angel's Wing" - I think, it's based

on the pilot Guynemer. Although physically rather "fragile" (lung problems) and suffering

from vertigo, he wanted to fight the intruders. As he couldn't become a soldier, he became

a pilot. And what a fighter he was. You may have read Udet's report about a fight against

him, in which he didn't kill Udet, who had a gun jam and was helpless. Great man!

Yes. If you haven't seen it already: watch the movie "Angel's Wing" - I think, it's based

on the pilot Guynemer. Although physically rather "fragile" (lung problems) and suffering

from vertigo, he wanted to fight the intruders. As he couldn't become a soldier, he became

a pilot. And what a fighter he was. You may have read Udet's report about a fight against

him, in which he didn't kill Udet, who had a gun jam and was helpless. Great man!

Yes I did read that and Udet wasn't the only one he extended that courtesy to. He was just a kid really, but he had the heart of a lion. I am amazed at how many times he came back from missions with his plane shredded by bullets and even his clothes full of bullet holes. One time a bullet from a back seater came through his engine and lodged in his glove at the end of his index finger. He thought at the time that he lost two fingers, but he kept flying and laughed his head off when he found out just the tip of his fingernail turned black from the impact.

I have only just now discovered, that at the very bottom of the page of the above site,

there are the buttons for "previous page" and "next page" - so there's plenty more about

other Escadrilles as well.

But - maybe I was the only one who didn't realise?

(Strange only: why did the British never compete against the French on the field of cooking? Lol!!!

Uuuhh!!! Now I can see them sharpening the blades against me and my cheeky bigmouth!) :biggrin:

I have heard that in hell:

The English are the cooks

The French are the politicians

The Germans are the police

Anyone know where we yanks fit in?

Jammer

Jammer

Ah ha .... a trick question Jammer. Nowhere. Because yanks only go to heaven ?

Ah ha .... a trick question Jammer. Nowhere. Because yanks only go to heaven ?

Well, I must've been holding the map upside down.

-Rooster

This is a great site Olham, I have used it myself recently numerous times when doing research. Thanks for posting the link here for eveyone.

Rooster...LOL!

Cheers!

Lou

Jammer

hahaha, good one :ok:

i have heard, the two thinnest books in the world:

italian heroic saga

british cooking book

don't know about yanks. but i remember one old coach of mine, once told to a new american pitcher, who was impressed by the german castles and fortresses: "goddamn, rob, we got sausages and pretzels here, with more history as your country..."

Hahaha!!! Rooster - good one, 'old' chap!

Things are changing a lot in UK regarding food now, now we have many top British chefs and fabulous restaurants, also many other influences from other countries - just have to have deep pockets and expandable elastic on your belt ;)

Just did a little research (I still know very little about WW1) about Esc3 "Les cigognes" (The Storks)

and Guynemer. I wanted to find out, were they were stationed, when, cause I'd like to meet him in

BHaH (simple minded as I am sometimes, I didn't think of just checking enlistment in Esc3 in BHaH).

Anyway, I found this site about the "Storks", with data and good photographs (three of them below).

Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Enjoy!

http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille003.htm

Edit/PS: at the bottom of the page are buttons for previous page and next page. There are also other Escadrilles!

Thanks, Olham, this is a fantastic website!

I know, Pol. And I was once invited by a lady (on my motorbike trip back in 1973; somewhere in the Plymouth

region) to share a real English roast (I think it was called roast only - or "roastbeef" ?), and that was delicious.

But a good banter needs stereotype prejudices, doesn't it? And so, as long as we are the Huns, you will have to

be the "bad cooks" (Lol!)