Sign in to follow this  
Dave

60-year-old Army soldier is oldest killed in Iraq

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30752514

PHOENIX - A 60-year-old Vietnam War veteran who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq has become the oldest Army soldier to die in that conflict, the military said Thursday.An Associated Press database of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan shows that Maj. Steven Hutchison, of Scottsdale, Ariz., is the oldest member of any service branch killed since the wars broke out.

His brother said Hutchison decided to re-enlist after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the death of his wife. Richard Hutchison said that his older brother wanted to re-enlist immediately after 9/11 but that his wife was against it. He signed up again in July 2007 after she died, according to his brother and the Army.

"He was very devoted to the service and to his country," Richard Hutchison said. "I didn't want him to do it, but he had a mind of his own and that's what he wanted to do."

The Pentagon said Steven Hutchison was killed in Iraq on Sunday. Army spokesman Lt. Col. Nathan Banks said Thursday that Hutchison was the oldest Army soldier killed in Iraq.

Hutchison was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 34th Armor Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division at Fort Riley, Kan.

RIP sir.

:salute:

Reminds me of Gran Torino: Once you got the balls, you keep´em forever

I was just reading this story on another site.

Much respect. RIP.

<S>

Hi All ,

Well its sad when any of the armed forces die , wether it be Iraq , Afghanistan or any other trouble spot in the world . Im amazed that at his age he was able to be a front line soldier ....but was able and did . He must have been an incredible man , and i have a lot of respect for him i just wish things would have turned out different for him and all the other service men and women that have fell . My heart goes out to his family and friends and all the people that have lost a friend , Partner or family member . these are speacial people who give their all and its not always realised by the general public . I know these words wont take the pain anyway for the people left behind , nothing i could say or anyone else can , but i'd like them to know there lots of people out there that are thinking of them and their kin .

Regards

Mungo

Hi All ,

Well its sad when any of the armed forces die , wether it be Iraq , Afghanistan or any other trouble spot in the world . Im amazed that at his age he was able to be a front line soldier ....but was able and did . He must have been an incredible man , and i have a lot of respect for him i just wish things would have turned out different for him and all the other service men and women that have fell . My heart goes out to his family and friends and all the people that have lost a friend , Partner or family member . these are speacial people who give their all and its not always realised by the general public . I know these words wont take the pain anyway for the people left behind , nothing i could say or anyone else can , but i'd like them to know there lots of people out there that are thinking of them and their kin .

Regards

Mungo

RIP brother.