Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Anyone play a Musical Instrument?

I have taken the Plunge, and am learning the Guitar.

My Brother is a very accomplished Guitar Player and Drummer...I sadly am not!!!...But am slowly getting to grips with it. (when work and OFFing allows)

One of my favourite soundtracks is from Pirates of the Caribbean...And this guy plays it very well

I play violin and viola. The guitar must be hard to keep on your shoulder and bow???? ... LOL!

Good for you, music is a wonderful language, you can speak to anyone with it. Its a life long journey to learn to play an instrument, to get good at it you need to practice, practice and then practice.

See you on youtube! :clapping:

Cheers,

WF2

A few WW-1 songs that I posted before: Girl with Violin

Edited by Womenfly2

Good for you Widowmaker! I have been plunking away at the guitar for quite some time, and find it very relaxing and fun. I've done some songs at social events and retreats, and a few years back I performed John McCutcheon's "Christmas in the Trenches" for a candlelight contemporary service at our church.

WF2, very cool as well that you play violin and viola. And thanks for the links to the music, I am listening to it right now. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Good on ya UK! Like WF2 said, practice, practice, practice, but that goes with anything. I play guitar but my "instrument" is bass. I play 4 and 5 string electric bass guitars (fretted and fretless) and also the double bass or "stand up" bass. I enjoy most kinds of music but I absolutely love the blues! My all time favorite is Stevie Ray Vaughn. I was fortunate enough to see him live in concert before his death. Awesome doesn't even describe this guy!

http://www.nutsie.com/song/The%20Sky%20Is%...lbum_id=4309415

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

Stevie Ray ! My all-time favorite as well CJ.

"The sky is cryin....Can't you see the tears roll

down the street..."

Cheers!

Lou

i used to play piano and pipe organ. about 6 years ago, before i started composition.

Ive been playing guitar now since I was 17,and im now 47 and I am still learning new stuff,I just offer this advice...as said above...practise practise practise and when you are fed up of practising and your head hurts...practise again...and one thing that I was told by Motorhead Gutarist Eddie Clark..I met when they played here in wales years ago...he said.."The thing is not to look at the next page til you know the page you are studying by heart and in your sleep"...and that was something i never forgot....dont walk before u can run...

Russ

I play guitar and ukulele for my own enjoyment. I am not fit to be heard nor is my singing but I express myself and it calms the savage beastie. Played the drums when I was a lad.

...here in wales

Russ

Wales!

I visited Conwy and Caernarvon castles in the mid 80’s. Took a tour bus through Snowdonia National Park. The clouds were low covering the tops of the mountains and it was misting heavily. There were many small streams flowing down. It was very mystical and magical, like something out of a fantasy movie with Merlin and dragons. I was completely enthralled. Beautiful, beautiful country.

Glad to hear it Widowmaker. I've been playing guitar for awhile and love all kinds of music, my favorite is southern rock though. Also im picking up the banjo right now. When I was learning "Dixie" I stumbled across this:

This guys rendition is really good.

Keep on pickin'

-Rooster

It's too bad that you don't live in the vicinity of Pawnee, OK Rooster. My older brother Darrell is an accomplished banjo player and teacher. He also hand makes his own brand of banjos and acoustic guitars. He made my Dad a guitar for his 75th birthday and Dad said that it was the finest instrument he has ever played. If you ever see a "Ridge" guitar or banjo, my brother made it.

I come from a very musical family. Dad played guitar and fiddle before he developed Parkinson's, Momma played piano and accordion as did as both of my sisters. My oldest brother Jerry plays guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards. My brother Rick plays the drums and I play guitar and bass. We all sing. It's just a shame that we haven't all been in the same place at the same time since '68.

CJ

Guest rscsjsuso5

i play the recorder. also if you don't play a mus instru don't forget your beautiful voice is too in singing any1 can be an idol.

safe and happy flying to all.

Only instrument I can play halfways good, is a drum kit.

But I used to make recordings on a four-track cassette deck, and I played guitars, bass,

keyboards, flute and synthesizers; and treated them with devices.

I was inspired by Brian Eno, to act as a non-musician, and it worked. If you have a feeling

for music, you can "find" the melodies and chords, and they are like a new discovered world.

I remember them for very long, once I worked them out (can't write notes).

I would encourage everyone, who loves music, to pick the instrument of his/her choice and

really try to do something with it. And if you have children - encourage them to give it a go.

For me, it always was a way to express emotions; a way to find peace.

Digeridoo. It's the only musical instrument I'm moderately good at. No notes, no chords, no scales. Just ppppttttttthhhhh into a big, hollow tube. The hard part is inhaling and exhaling at the same time!

Thats awesome CJ. You've got a regular family band there. My sister plays piano, but hasn't really stuck with it. She taught me a little but I can only play "Green Onions".

I'll keep an eye out for one of your brother's guitars or banjos.

-Rooster

I play violin and viola. The guitar must be hard to keep on your shoulder and bow???? ... LOL!

Humm. :blink: So that's why I have trouble with my instrument, didn't come with a bow.

It also is rather hard to keep on my shoulder with it tucked under my chin. The chin rest forces my head

up too high to see the music. The positive point is the wind doesn't blow me off my chair with

it sitting on my lap. :biggrin:

I really like the sound of the recorder but don't do very well with that. The brain seems to get confused when trying to

coordinate more than three fingers. :rolleyes:

Bass for 27 years, GTR for 5. I spent my twenties in touring hard rock bands.

Guitar, about 15 years, im about good enough to entertain myself, lol. Its a epiphone Sorento, it was born in august of 1965 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Sunburst yellow hollow body electric.

As a kid, I got lessons in piano, trumpet, drums, bagpipes, and recorder. None of it took - not a note. I'm not tone deaf or anything, but playing music has always been an up hill journey for me. Paradoxically, I love to listen to music, but I can listen to anything provided it's good (8gig Ipod = full). I've no preference by type.

Similar with books. I can read instructions or textbooks 20 times, but it just doesn't stick. Show me once and I'll get it. I've nevertheless got 2 University degrees in Academic subjects, but apart from 7 wasted years of torture, these mean absolutely nothing to me compared to my practical 'hands on' City & Guilds in Stonemasonry. Found my niche, never looked back.

If only they'd given me a hammer and chisel when I was 4, I might have been rich by now too. :haha:

Seems I'm a taker not a giver when it comes to music, but I do know exactly where you musical folks are coming from, and you have my greatest respect (and no little gratitude) for the colour you bring to our lives. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

So, having an Asian mom, i was forced to at least try to learn to play the piano. Took a couple lessons and hated it. Too many keys. So then i decided to pick up the trumpet. After all, it only had three valves. A piano has what? 80 odd keys? How hard could it get? I was doing alright with it, but then my parents decided to get me braces and that was the end to that. Since my freshman year in high school, I've been teaching myself to play guitar. Learned me some chords and no im doing alright. I can play a lot of songs. I love it. Not as good as Hendrix, but im getting there.

Funny, I just came into my home office to turn on my computr but instead I first picked up my guitar and played a tune. I then turned on my computer only to find this topic.

Cheers Widowmaker and enjoy your music. Your guitar will always be there for you,

Speedski