Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Coming Internet problems and OFF3 players being fortunate

The following story out of the "Sunday Times of London" (April 30. 2009), should make us OFF3 players very fortunate to be able to continue playing OFF in the future versus players who want to play Rise of Flight that will have to "check in" every time they want to play RoF and not being able to get through to the RoF server.

Sunday Times of London

April 30, 2009

Internet users face regular "brownouts" that will freeze their computers as capacity runs out in cyberspace, according to research to be published later this year.

Experts predict that consumer demand, already growing at 60 percent a year, will start to exceed supply as early as 2010 because of more people working online and the soaring popularity of bandwidth-hungry Web sites such as YouTube and services such as the BBC's iPlayer.

It will initially lead to computers being disrupted and going offline for several minutes at a time. Beginning in 2012, however, PCs and laptops are likely to operate at a much reduced speed, rendering the Internet an "unreliable toy."

When Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the British scientist, wrote the code that transformed a private computer network into the World Wide Web in 1991, the Internet appeared to be a limitless resource.

However, a report being compiled by Nemertes Research, a respected American think-tank, will warn that the Web has reached a critical point and that even the recession has failed to stave off impending problems.

Jeeze, the bait's a month old!

But it still walks like a troll and quacks like a troll, so it must be a troll!

Red, you should post this on that other game's forum, not here (since, as you say, it doesn't affect us).

Really lame troll at that.

ttt

Edited by tttiger

Yes, I'm thinking like tttiger - let's not start any "opponent sim bashing" or even malicious joy

about other people's problems here again.

Yes, I'm thinking like tttiger - let's not start any "opponent sim bashing" or even malicious joy

about other people's problems here again.

Agreed - lets not go down to their level.

Agreed - lets not go down to their level.

OK, but if they come up to ours, then we get to shoot them.

Edited by Hauksbee

I saw no bashing, I saw pointing out of fact. And if you think it wont affect you, you arent a troll, or a duck, you are an ostrich.

I saw no bashing, I saw pointing out of fact. And if you think it wont affect you, you arent a troll, or a duck, you are an ostrich.

I agree that it will effect me - in that I will have problems in future logging on to this forum or being able to work either from home or at a distance, but as I don't play on line, or have to logged on to a gaming web site to be able play OFF B & BH, it will not stop my continued enjoyment.

They just may have shot themselves in the foot with the DRM. Oh well.

There is already talk of devising a tiered pricing structure for the internet where companies that require huge amounts of bandwidth, like YouTube and FaceBook, will have to pay more. If the worst case scenario comes to pass, it'll have to happen and YouTube will have to charge a subscription price. The world will not suffer brown-outs quietly so teenagers can gossip.

...you arent a troll, or a duck, you are an ostrich.

Thanks, gwar, I'll take it as a compliment - I like ostriches!

...you arent a troll, or a duck, you are an ostrich.

Thanks, gwar, I'll take it as a compliment - I like ostriches!

With all that's going on in the world today, I sometimes feel like I would like to be like an "ostriche" ..over whelming sometimes.

The following story out of the "Sunday Times of London" (April 30. 2009), should make us OFF3 players very fortunate to be able to continue playing OFF in the future versus players who want to play Rise of Flight that will have to "check in" every time they want to play RoF and not being able to get through to the RoF server.

Sunday Times of London

April 30, 2009

Internet users face regular "brownouts" that will freeze their computers as capacity runs out in cyberspace, according to research to be published later this year.

Experts predict that consumer demand, already growing at 60 percent a year, will start to exceed supply as early as 2010 because of more people working online and the soaring popularity of bandwidth-hungry Web sites such as YouTube and services such as the BBC's iPlayer.

It will initially lead to computers being disrupted and going offline for several minutes at a time. Beginning in 2012, however, PCs and laptops are likely to operate at a much reduced speed, rendering the Internet an "unreliable toy."

When Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the British scientist, wrote the code that transformed a private computer network into the World Wide Web in 1991, the Internet appeared to be a limitless resource.

However, a report being compiled by Nemertes Research, a respected American think-tank, will warn that the Web has reached a critical point and that even the recession has failed to stave off impending problems.

I never put it past technology to find answers to problems and I'm sure they will think of some way around this as well. Not to worry though.

It may be real, but then again it may just be a ploy. Tell everyone that cyberspace is filling up so they can start charging you for how much bandwidth you use. Some companies have already started.

CJ

CJ, I think you hit it right on the nut. Excuse for increased fees. I remember Y2K. No problems came but someone got rich selling "protection".

Yeah, can you believe it? What's next...global warming? :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

Yeah, can you believe it? What's next...global warming? :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

Guys, I'm OK with this thread. It's a good one and merely points out something that we will all have to deal with in the very near future, regardless of playing OFF or RoF. I had no idea the problem would exist to that level. I had heard of it before on CNN, but never really gave any thought to linking it to any specific games, or types of games.

It is an important subject that will no doubt be pushed aside until it really start effecting people.

OvS

LOL why worry 2012 is coming we won't need the inter web any more muuhaaaahaaaa!!!!!!!!!

LOL why worry 2012 is coming we won't need the inter web any more muuhaaaahaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Yeah... on my BIRTHDAY no less!!! 23 Dec 2012. Nice... what a way to celebrate!

Work is already underway on the 'Grid'....the replacement for the web

Yeah... on my BIRTHDAY no less!!! 23 Dec 2012. Nice... what a way to celebrate!

My birthday too :biggrin:

OH NO!!! WHAT WOULD WE ALL DO, WITH OUT THE INTERNET!! :shok:

What I see taking place most rapidly in the US is the attempt to move toward a "use-based" billing system. The provider companies really would like to bill based on how much you use the internet, rather than the current more flat fees. In some test markets they've tried to bill people who use more of their service. It hasn't been popular, but I have to imagine if they'll eventually be able to make it stick. This would primarily impact people who are downloading many movies or watching a lot of TV videos via the internet.

I suppose it would grab high impact gamers at some point, though I guess it depends on just how much information is going back and forth over the net for the particular game you're using. I won't speculate as to what Rise of Flight will use though, since it might be efficient in net use, might not be. I don't know. I'd still certainly consider getting the game, though that single player net requirement is in the negatives column in my book. I haven't decided for sure which way I'll go with it. I have mixed feelings and am undecided on it.

But I will add, I don't think this is a pure troll thread, though it does have some negative tones. It has some redeeming value in my book-- highlighting why a more traditional local machine-based single player system is probably still is the better path. But I would also say, we shouldn't make it our purpose to bash other WW1 sims. I like my OFF experience, and will continue to like it as long as the game is good, regardless of what Rise of Flight does. I may try some RoF, but I'm not sure yet-- I'm waiting to see.

Edited by SirMike1983