Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

The plunge - have you taken it ?

I just have, deleted all my legacy WoX installs, the whole shebang.

Managed to free up 32 GB HD space too.

It's SF2\E\V or bust now.

Drastic ? Nah, progress !

Anyone else been so foolhardy of late ?

The only WoX program I have left is WoE and that stays until Nato Fighters is out for SF2:E

Pretty close to that myself. Probably keep a WOI install until SF2I comes out then go the full monty.

I've just done the exact contrary. :biggrin:

I just did the same - dumped SF2-V - the prop models seem to be working in the post Oct 08 patched version of WOV lately, so I added YAP2 to it, and I'm tweaking the helo models to work satisfactorily (sp?) with my CH Products controls.

Mike

Ok - for someone who hasn't yet taken the plunge, just what is the advantage of going to SF2?

I'm on XP and so far I can't see too much of an advantage.

Enlighten me guys :)

I'm just undergoing loooong and tedious conversion of mods to SF2 standard - ARRRRRRRRRRGH

Ok - for someone who hasn't yet taken the plunge, just what is the advantage of going to SF2?

1) Better avionics

2) A folder structure that's way more mod friendly

3) If you start with SF2, add SF2V, and then SF2E, all the titles will be integrated, making patching a whole lot simpler.

On a Windows XP machine, the separate folders in the "decals" folder were just bugging me, and the conversion of the entire weps folder for YAP2 plus my own tweaks seemed pointless. I like the post-Oct 08 patch shadows, weapon drag/weight effects. Anything else I have not flown enough to confirm (better AI, etc.) I bought SF2-V but it's gone now from my HD. I saved an installed copy in case any of it was of use in the older versions.

1) Better avionics

2) A folder structure that's way more mod friendly

3) If you start with SF2, add SF2V, and then SF2E, all the titles will be integrated, making patching a whole lot simpler.

not only better avionics but also some more subtle changes

like destroyed models of stocks aicraft,better damage managing, far more better and functionnal cockpit and so on

When SF2 came out in December 2008 I did the 'scorched earth' thing and started afresh adding SF2V and SF2E when they came out. The funny thing is (and I've no reason why) that loading times were superfast with just SF2 but then slowed right up with a merged install of SF2+SF2V before becoming superfast again with the triple merged install of SF2+SF2V+SF2E.

The expanded planeset is brilliant :clapping:

Still have WOI on here - guess it wont be around much longer!

Saving for a new HD to run W7RC and waiting for SF2 Israel so I don't have to port anything stock over besides the AV-8A and A-6 from WOX. Then its head first with all 4 at once.

ONLY 32 gigs??? shheesh...I have ONE WoE install that's bigger than that!!!

Nope, not taking it fully. 'prolly never will.

I DO like the integration.merge of the various titles; but like mppd, the decals crap in XP bugs the daylights out of me. There's no logical reason WHY the /d subfolder that's worked so well for so long had to be elliminated.

Loading times are just as long, if not longer -I can sloooowwwly smoke a whole cigerate waiting for a mission to start, frame rates are LOWER than 08 WoE/WoI (like when I would be getting mid-20s, is now BELOW the teens, and sometimes less than 10). Mind you, I am running full max on everything, so I'm sure I could gain a bit by dailing back from "unlimited".

Other than the avionics, AI, and other visual improvements, it gives me no advantage over my 06/08 level installs (ww2 stuff is 06). Being on XP....again, they WORK in XP, but really are designed for <choke> Vista and Winge7

Will/am I buying them? Hell yes!!! No matter what, gotta support TK!!! Even if I don't play them, he deserves the support, so he can make better games for us to enjoy in our Favorite Hobby ™

wrench

kevin stein

If anybody wants to do a True Comparison, Find a Copy of SFP1 from 2002 and compare it to SF2. In 7 Years this Sim has held strong and it makes Me look foward to the next 7 as far as development goes.

The Line of Titles serves two Purposes for Me. One, It continues My love for Military Avation. Two, This Community has formed itself like a "Cyber IPMS" that I enjoy contributing to. It's fun.

Yes, The new Format is hard to get used to at first. But after 7 Years, Change is alittle difficult at first. But is smoothing out.

Me being a Modder, I enjoy the New Format for the ease of adding New Mods and Tweaks. It's a breath of freash Air compaired to the Old Format.

Most Importantly to Me is the fact that the Developer continued to update and change His Product as Enviroments in Software and hardware have been changing. Still holding true to His Idea of this Product as being a "Lite Sim".

I got SF2 in December too. Just a couple of Months ago, I too burned the last of My Installs from the WOX Series to DVD. They now serve as a File Library for anything I need. I run SF2-V-E only now. Waiting on the IE-P-K-A-........You get My Point.

I'll Roll with the Changes as StrikeFighters does..........

331KillerBee

If anybody wants to do a True Comparison, Find a Copy of SFP1 from 2002 and compare it to SF2. In 7 Years this Sim has held strong and it makes Me look foward to the next 7 as far as development goes.

The Line of Titles serves two Purposes for Me. One, It continues My love for Military Avation. Two, This Community has formed itself like a "Cyber IPMS" that I enjoy contributing to. It's fun.

Yes, The new Format is hard to get used to at first. But after 7 Years, Change is alittle difficult at first. But is smoothing out.

Me being a Modder, I enjoy the New Format for the ease of adding New Mods and Tweaks. It's a breath of freash Air compaired to the Old Format.

Most Importantly to Me is the fact that the Developer continued to update and change His Product as Enviroments in Software and hardware have been changing. Still holding true to His Idea of this Product as being a "Lite Sim".

I got SF2 in December too. Just a couple of Months ago, I too burned the last of My Installs from the WOX Series to DVD. They now serve as a File Library for anything I need. I run SF2-V-E only now. Waiting on the IE-P-K-A-........You get My Point.

I'll Roll with the Changes as StrikeFighters does..........

Ive just installed SF2V All in one mod by MALIBU43 , the graphics and textures are superb! Ill wait for NF5 and ODS mods before i wipe WOX !

I'll make the full switch once we have sufficient prop head support in SF2.

We do from the Developer......

It's in the form of a A-1 Skyraider..........StrikeFighters2 Vietnam.

What I mean is, when we have converted enough of the existing prop mods (p-51, bf109 etc) over to SF2 to have a decent WW2 campaign.

I'll make the full switch once we have sufficient prop head support in SF2.

Sorry zmatt. But by the way You posted above, You make it sound like the Game doesn't support Props. Which it does.

But now I understand where You are comming from. The Third-Party Prop Jobs need tweaking.

331KillerBee

Sorry zmatt. But by the way You posted above, You make it sound like the Game doesn't support Props. Which it does.

But now I understand where You are coming from. The Third-Party Prop Jobs need tweaking.

331KillerBee

Yeah my bad, I should have been more specific. The good news is, progress is being made. Maybe a peep at the A-1 in SF2 will give us some much needed info.

only WOX left on my end is WOI.

Waiting for NF4+. wonder how that will do under a merged install.

ONLY 32 gigs??? shheesh...I have ONE WoE install that's bigger than that!!!

There's no logical reason WHY the /d subfolder that's worked so well for so long had to be elliminated.

Anyone ask TK about putting it back the way it was, it makes installing skins (and moving over from WOX installs) ALOT easier than creating a new folder for each plane/skin in a decals folder and seperating the two.

zmatt, that's what Avhistory is up to :good:

I've killed off my SFG and WOV installs if that counts. Gonna keep WOE and WOI till I get my new PC. Then I'll go for the next gen. Also killed off my SF2V install becuase of the decals problem. May keep a WOE install for nastalgic reasons.

Edited by Viggen