Sign in to follow this  
OvS

End of year thanks to the OFF Community and a few specific members

Hi all,

By no means is this a definitive message to cover all bases, and it's not backed by OBD Software... this is just me being a moderator, and a member of a community soap-boxing a little. :)

Anyhow,

As the end of another year, and decade approaches, we can all look back and see where we were for the Y2K 'disaster', where we were for 9/11 and the Tsunami. But more importantly, we should look back and see where we have come as a community, working together to make this more fun for everyone. It takes a lot of well-focused and thoughtful people to drive a community, to grow it and to keep it alive, and I can say with experiance, that this one is one of the best!

So with that... let's begin...

First ... as I hold my virtual glass of the bubbly up high .... I'd like to thank Erik, Dave and the 'boys from CombatAce. Without their help, and a wing of compassion, the OFF Community might have been left out in the cold. So a big cheer for them, and a small one for Sim Outhouse for showing us the door.

Second... a toast to OBD Software, yes.. to ourselves.. what the heck... for a uncountable (Ted it's too high a number) list of reasons... thanks for all the wonderful memories, hard work and perservernce in making OFF what it is today. 5 years coming this year I've been a part of it, have known some members for 10 now, and it's just been great! The game is awesome, and the memories and laughs even better. All the best!

Now for some fun... I'd like to single out some members for some 'awards'....

1. Most helpful and dedicated - no doubt this one was tough, so I'll make it fair.. 2 guys deserve this. One of them for their dedication to the MP side, the other for his dedication to the overall community. Ohlam's dedication to recognizing as many OFF pilots around the world in itself is a momumental task, but he does it without complaint, and keeps it going, not to forget all the other great stuff he brings in. Stumpjumper has allowed the MP side of OFF to grow upon itself with new models, new effects and a deep sense of dedication to keep it going. Thanks to both, top honors!!

Stumpjumper and Olham. Take a bow... you guys are special and certainly hold honor in the OFF Comunity's 'Hall of Fame'.

2. Most inventive and supportive - Well... an easy one.. Siggi. The DID campaign is a stunning success and has driven many members on here to expand the immersion of this sim to new levels. We can all be thankful for that, and his ability to keep it running for the length of time it has. Kepp it up Siggi, it's a great idea. After the holidays, I'm going to ask Erik to add a DID specific forum to the OFF Section for the DID players.

3. Most informative - hands down. Bullethead. There is nothing better than having an opinion on every subject, right or wrong. Many of the conversations within the community simply would not be as deep without his input. Always verbose, and backing every statement with facts, it's hard to argue that he comes to the conversation ready to educate. Thanks Bullet.

4. Most insane - ooooh... toss up here, so I will add another specific category for the other.... insane goes to Widowmaker. I dare not list the reasons... one will do... anyone crazy enough to post a screen shot WITH the answer in it, and then ask a question... well... but without him, we'd miss the humor of life... which brings me to the next...

5. Most humorus - Sitting Duck - in all my years of being on fourms, I've never seen anyone answer thier own questions as often as Duck does. A stalwart to the MP community, and if you haven't had the pleasure of playing on one of his 'hosting' night, please do.... MP won't be the same.

6. Lastly... Most Beloved - uncleal - Like 'Grandpa' from 'The Munsters', he's our big toe. Full of sarcasim and quick wit, many newbies feel his sting but are fast to learn that he means no harm, and is easily tamed. Always there to help with his to the point posts and very helpful FAQ's, he's important to us.

That should round it off... I could go on forever, but I'll leave that to you guys. We've learned a lot this past few years. Most recently, how to make WWI uniforms on a budget, how to get everything working in Vista, and how well we can all realize the dream of re-enacting the challenges of WWI Air Combat.

All the best guys, have a safe and healthy holiday.

OvS

Edited by OvS
  • Like 2

Hear hear! Or is it, here here?

Whatever it is, a raise of the glass to everyone here! :drinks:

And a special thanks to OBD! :worship:

Good work guys!

Happy New Year to everyone here and yes as the old chap above states special thanks to OBDS for their time and patience in creating this monster (I mean it in a great way). As a relative newbie to this 2 and a bit months it has that something that you can't define yet its there... and thanks for not laughing at the daft questions...

and Herr Prop-Wasche I think its Hear - Here... :grin::drinks:

Can't agree more!!

I'd like to thank all of the knowledgeable users here who provide free technical advice, especialy almccoyjr, Parky, Sitting_Duck, Von Paulus, Dutch_P47M, Homeboy (where you been lately?) and others.

Happy New Year

As the end of another year, and decade approaches, we can all look back and see where we were for the Y2K 'disaster',

I was chatting on ICQ with a guy in New Zealand hoping to get the scoop on the eagerly anticipated end of civilization. However, as I fully expected but still find sad to relate, civilization survived without even a little fuss this.gif .

My favorite memory from back then: "Hey BH, aren't you stockpiling food for Y2K?" "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of folks who're stockpiling food." The good news is, enough folks are now worried about Y12 (with, sadly, even less justification) that I get to say the same thing again to a new crowd, and it still gets the same reaction from them cool.gif.

Thanks Bullet.

Thank YOU for putting up with my spew.

WOw what else can i say i truely appreciate it jsut even a mention, i know i occsioanlly get under the dev skins sometimes with the mp stuff, but its onyl becuase i love this dam game so much,

my honors tho i can go with out shareing to firstly vasco, for his hosting and putting up wiht all of us, sittng duck, axegrinder for allther ehlp with items. red dog and rcaf dudley(the other 2 pfalz boys,) and the rest of the vasco volunteers, thnaks to bh and widomaket raf lou and allothers that beta tested my insane ideas, and of course fro who took the leson of skinnign i gave him and he took off with it

and to everybody else in the forum for learing how to read stumpanese

of course to mark andrews for not giveing me to much greif for modding his baby and to polovoski for help and hsting the itlay addon for ph2

o woudl also like to mention pd and nio and the rest of the boys of 60, who even tho i dotn get to fly with anymore with out there freindship and mentoring durng ph1 and 2 i never woudl have gotten where i am today, that also goes for 01 driver, rafel ndicki, pat pattle and capt winters, all

my m8s for sure

happy new years folks cant wait for it to get here and for obd to fianlly do itlay/austria hungry

Very nice choices OvS and I add my thanks to that list. One group that I would like to add is the community skinners, you know who you are, thank you. This whole forum has been very good to me in many ways and I thank you all. To the new year gents :drinks:

Well said OvS!

A toast to OBD, CombatAce, and all the wonderful members here

Happy New Year! drinks.gif

he's just in a good mood cause the colts handed the jets a playoff chance...

You never cease to amaze me... LOL!...

Let's see how Revis handles Ocho-knucklehead... and then we'll talk.

One more and we're in!

OvS

QFT Ovs. :clapping:

A toast to the community, to OBD and to CombatAce. :drinks:

I found here a second home.

Thanks

Paulo

Well said OvS!

A toast to OBD, CombatAce, and all the wonderful members here

Happy New Year! drinks.gif

Couldnt have said it better Duce!

Gb

"Once again we find ourselves in agreement," (to quote Ulysses Everett McGill).

Happy New Year Everyone!

Lou

My especial thanks to Bullethead for his very good advice on how to fly a Feee - and how much fun it can be. And to Olham for all sorts of good advice (even though he is mostly on the other side) :bye:

And to all the devs for doing such a great job - especially Winder who is so far the only forumeer I have actually met.

Happy New Year to everybody in this wonderful community!! The dedication here feels more like a club than a game forum, I am happy to be here. My best sincere wishes to all of you!!

Anastasios.

Happy New Year to everybody in this wonderful community!! The dedication here feels more like a club than a game forum, I am happy to be here. My best sincere wishes to all of you!!

Anastasios.

i second that. very well written drinks.gif

Insane award?...I'll take that as a compliment! :rofl::drinks:

Well, don't you insanely want a Snipe? :rofl:

Yup you are insane...

But I took on 4 aircraft alone

Which makes me "Fraking Nuts"

Guest British_eh

Hi there, and thanks OVS, for your note. You pretty much summed it up, but of course for next, ( this year), we'll have to expand the list, LOL.

Cheers,

British_eh

Hear hear from an ordinary pilot in the ranks, as it were. This really is the most fabulously enjoyable combat flight sim, plus the nicest and most helpful forum. I'm sure 2010 is going to be even better again. Thanks again.

Thanks Ovie. I hope it continues to be as big a kick for the chaps as it is for me. :drinks:

I have to say, I'm actually missing Olham's presence here at the moment. He brings a very intensive enthusiasm with him in his posts. Also, I suspect that the amount of traffic in the OFF threads has halved since he buggered off on holiday.

I have to say, I'm actually missing Olham's presence here at the moment. He brings a very intensive enthusiasm with him in his posts. Also, I suspect that the amount of traffic in the OFF threads has halved since he buggered off on holiday.

Yeah, that boy needs to get a laptop.