Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

OT-Wings of Prey

I know its off topic, but I prefer the feedback of OFF members versus those other forum places!

Anybody else pick up a copy of Wings of Prey. It is no secret that I am an eyecandy whore and this puppy delivers the goods in spades! I have a copy (Birds of Prey) on the xbox 360, which I played the hell out of, but I hated the xbox flightsticks, display resolution and lack of track ir support.

Now I got this baby going triple screen eyefinity 4800x1200 with track ir and my g940 setup and it is fantastic! There are no dedicated servers but I have had allot of fun with the multi-player and have had plenty of lag free matches. The only problem is it is WW2 and I prefer WWI dogfighting :drinks:

Oh yea, and I'm in before its not a "true simulator," and in before its not "historically accurate," and in before, "you don't play russian flight simulators, russian flight simulators play you!" HAHAHA!

I've it.

It's even much more eyecandy than ROF. The ground detail it's amazing.

It's smooth, smooth and smooth. No stutterings. Graphics almost maxed on.

It has some taste of arcade, but it isn't. It's a mix, but pending more to the side of simulator. IMHO.

People who have BOP says that WOP is better.

Still it's more than worthwhile for someone who his a eyecandy whore. :grin:

The first time I played, I just thought, if OBD had such an engine at their disposal...

I woudn't do anything else in my life.

P.S. I hate the maps they are rather short.

EDIT: Why not try the demo?

Edited by Von Paulus

I just downloaded the demo yesterday. I haven't had a chance to run it. I'm running the RoF demo and have mixed thoughts about it. Eye Candy alone does not a "good" sim/game make.

I'm glad some vendors are releasing "substantial" demos and not small 2-400mb "trailers" that leave you guessing. OFF_P2 was a HUGE "demo" that lead to a TREMENDOUS sim/"game" (have to placate Olham).

plug_nickel (Al)

I tried the demo....what is there, maybe one targeting command? It's the thinnest set of keyboard controls I've ever seen. And you have to buy it to find out you're limited to three installs? Oh, but you can email tech support for more. Yeah, good luck with that. I wrote three emails to tech support about a problem with their client, never got a reply. It's pretty, I'll give you that.

I tried the demo....what is there, maybe one targeting command? It's the thinnest set of keyboard controls I've ever seen. And you have to buy it to find out you're limited to three installs? Oh, but you can email tech support for more. Yeah, good luck with that. I wrote three emails to tech support about a problem with their client, never got a reply. It's pretty, I'll give you that.

If you uninstall it will reset the number of installations.

I too don't like the DRM but that's not enough for stop me of buying. There' always a chance that after a year they remove the DRM.

This is just a game to play it once in a while; I'll not dedicate 1/4 of the time I dedicate, and tend to continue, to OFF.

It is beautiful. Photo-realistic. Maybe one day for me. It will be available on Steam in the future.

I've it.

It's even much more eyecandy than ROF. The ground detail it's amazing.

It's smooth, smooth and smooth. No stutterings. Graphics almost maxed on.

The first time I played, I just thought, if OBD had such an engine at their disposal...

I woudn't do anything else in my life.

This is exactly what I am saying, its fantastic and if OFF was able to look like this game then I would be severely done for.... Please do not make OFF look like this game cause my career depends upon it, lol.

This is exactly what I am saying, its fantastic and if OFF was able to look like this game then I would be severely done for.... Please do not make OFF look like this game cause my career depends upon it, lol.

why not post a few screenies?

WM

Is it photo-realistic with smooth-as-butter FPS because the maps are tiny?

I've played the demo a few times. I will have to just echo most other peoples responses to it. It is very pretty and runs incredibly smooth. But I too prefer WWI air combat. That said, if OFF had this engine my career would probably suffer.

Hellshade

One of the reasons for sure.

I have it and like it more every day. It is great for dogfighting as the graphics immerse you a lot but the short maps do not allow for much more. However, the graphics are amazing (Reflections, cockpit dynamic shadows, motion blur effect, water animation, tree animation, snow shine at low sun, light bloom). The devs sem to listen so imho it looks very promising. I made a couple of videos:

As far as the visual effects are concerned, this is stunning. There's no other sim that looks as good. I've downloaded the demo, now I got to find the time to try it ...

But OFF has great looks, too, only not that close to photorealism (but near enough).

One of the reasons for sure.

Another reason is the way the textures in ground were made. If you zoom you'll see that not everything is 3D. But it is so well done that in the air all looks 3D.

As far as the visual effects are concerned, this is stunning. There's no other sim that looks as good. I've downloaded the demo, now I got to find the time to try it ...

But OFF has great looks, too, only not that close to photorealism (but near enough).

Precisely, but you need to play it in order to really admire the visual effects and have the sense of speed. It's not enough to watch the videos.

In my case one thing is for sure, even with this stunning effects, smooth experience, etc, OFF is what really I want to play :good:

I dont understand how you can say the maps are tiny? They are huge and you never run out of real estate when dogfighting. Plus you have many many different maps which offer different visuals. Yea OFF has a huge map, but it is largely repetitive and you really cant take advantage of all that real estate anyway given the running out of fuel and all.

I dont understand how you can say the maps are tiny? They are huge and you never run out of real estate when dogfighting. Plus you have many many different maps which offer different visuals. Yea OFF has a huge map, but it is largely repetitive and you really cant take advantage of all that real estate anyway given the running out of fuel and all.

IMO they are tiny. They are OK for dogfighting but not for all missions type. For campaign, you'll need a much larger map, maybe not huge as OFF, but much more larger. You hit the borders map quite easily. That is a immersion killer.

Edited by Von Paulus

I didn't say they were tiny, I asked. But I guessed they probably were.

Well, I tried to buy this...but it's not accepting Visa card payments at present...which suggests problems...which worry me!

Here is some triple screen eyefinity goodness, Its not the prettiest map the game has and I took the pictures with my nokia N85 cell phone, but you get the idea!

010720109911.jpg

010720109910.jpg

010720109914.jpg

I like it, but I'm with UKW how to buy it? I just registerd an account went to buy it with yums (err..) and then it requires the CC again, which is disabled. So basically you can't actually buy it now or am I missing something?

Yes...very frustrating!..wtf are Yums anyway?...they look and sound s**t!

Here is some triple screen eyefinity goodness, Its not the prettiest map the game has and I took the pictures with my nokia N85 cell phone, but you get the idea!

010720109911.jpg

010720109910.jpg

010720109914.jpg

I'm not jelous of that set up... not one bit nononononono... yes

Yes I am >_<

I don't know if this help:

http://forum.yuplay....p?showtopic=433

http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=309

I bought in early December, I don't remember having any specific trouble in using CC.

Thanks Von Paulus, but it's not those. I cannot get to the cc entering bit it says CC disabled currently. i.e. not my CC, but their CC system is not available currently ;)

When you go to add some $ or whatever credit to your account to allow you to buy and you click on $49.99 CC it says:

yuPlay » Credit cards

Cards processing has been disabled for a while and will be restored in the nearest future.

Sorry for the inconvenience. "

One of the other options links to a website in Russian and I don't want to sign up to yet another pay system.