Sign in to follow this  
sandbagger

How things have changed

Hi all,

The recent thread on Red Baron and the heavy snow keeping me home, prompted me to fire up Hells Angles (OvS patch for RB) and compare it to OFF.

Like many I was an avid follower of all WW1 sims and have RB3D, Hells Angles, Full Canvass Jacket, Flying Corps Gold, First Eagles etc.

Out of pure interest, here's a few shots to compare one legendary sim (Hells Angels) with, we hope, another.

post-15340-12629778388921.jpg

post-15340-12629778482024.jpg

post-15340-12629778580431.jpg

post-15340-12629778662463.jpg

I do remember the days fondly..

I also found RB3D disturbing the first time playing attacking a two seater. I put a few rounds into her and she caught fire.. Then I remember clearly the crew jumping out the burning plane screaming as they fell.

Considering its age I must say them screenies do look good.

Amazing shots!...weirdly, I put RB3D back on last night...just for old times sake!...I'm afraid it's off again already...graphics glitches, stuttering..etc..... sad really...but whats done is done..RB3D was a classic...but as your screenies demonstrate...it's VERY 20th Century

I used to play the old RB3d too. Even with all the upgrades and patches I could never get mine to look as good as these screenshots!

I have to say, OFF looks much darker - in all senses - to RB3D, patched to the nth degree.

I played RB3D with WFP2 and FCJ loaded, and it looked damn fine to me, but comparing the two, I realise just how much of OFF's appeal is the almost Gothic rendering of aircraft and landscapes. WWI is burned into the collective memory as a dark period for the Briddish, and somehow, rendering the whole thing in pastel colours just seems wrong in a way that I can't properly articulate.

Scenery is a million miles better now though, and don't forget that is comparing to one of the first models I ever made- the new scenery and models look another heap better too :)

P4 will be a heap better too :)

here's some old, and new shots of OFF, with higher res;

offp3ludwigfritzfredenaql9.th.jpg offp3hansvonfredenalbatbg5.th.jpg shot100309012601.th.jpg shot112209173105.th.jpg shot100309010003.th.jpg

Much better all round I think, even the earlier skins, models, scenery is a huge improvement.

Polovski,

thanks for the new wallpapers.

love it.

No problem Morris, got plenty of those hanging around :)

I do remember the days fondly..

I also found RB3D disturbing the first time playing attacking a two seater. I put a few rounds into her and she caught fire.. Then I remember clearly the crew jumping out the burning plane screaming as they fell.

Considering its age I must say them screenies do look good.

Yeah seeing the crew bail was rough. I used to have a Yosemite Sam audiofile I downloaded that had the crew cursing like him as they fell. Got my butt shot off the first time I heard it, as I roared, and that was the end of that. That was funny hearing it.

There's that mention of P4 again. Thanks for that and the screenies Pol. I can't turn back. Don't want to. OFF is my reward for perseverance.

It is amazing how cutting edge RB3D was compared to the original Red Baron, (and after all the mods and additions even more so). Now when RB3D is looked at against OFF it is another, even larger quantum leap. I wonder what the next generation of WWI flight sim will look like.

BTW, thanks for the great new screenies Pol.

It is amazing how cutting edge RB3D was compared to the original Red Baron, (and after all the mods and additions even more so). Now when RB3D is looked at against OFF it is another, even larger quantum leap. I wonder what the next generation of WWI flight sim will look like.

BTW, thanks for the great new screenies Pol.

I duuno... maybe like this.... :grin:

The new Fokker D.VII OAW... soon... don't ask when.

OvS

post-45836-12630143506996.jpg

OVS & Polovski,

Please post more of those new pics.

STunning stunning.

m

BHAH is the next step of evolution of red baron. a worthy successor in a new decade. vanilla rb3d was the neaderthaler and hells' angels superpatch and WFP was the step to homo sapiens. nonetheless there are still things in red baron 3d manager wich are still unbeaten today.

you could get slightly wounded, wounded for months or get maimed and end the carreer beeing alive,

you couldn't only get in prison and stay there for the rest of the war or escape, there was also a chance you can get repatriated.

you coud get transeferred into better squadrons by request (wich could be denied) or by order. you could also get transferred into a lesser squadron when not doing your task properly enough.

you could get grounded, executed, inprisoned or thrown out of flying duty when accidentally shooting down own mates or damaging enemy ambulance cars. sometimes there was an investiagtion by war trial wich was thrown in the paperbasket for the sake of spirit in the squad.

when you damaged e.g. your alb DII you sometimes hat to fly the halb and wait some days for a new alb. or if several of your ac got damaged, in the next mission or days some members were grounded because there were not enough ac available for some days.

a lot more things.

BHAH manager is partially there were rb3d manager was, but for sure we'll get there sooner or later drinks.gif

I have to say, OFF looks much darker - in all senses - to RB3D, patched to the nth degree.

Yep even in summer, why is OFF3 always so dark???? Any way to disable this darkroom feature. 

BHAH is the next step of evolution of red baron. a worthy successor in a new decade. vanilla rb3d was the neaderthaler and hells' angels superpatch and WFP was the step to homo sapiens. nonetheless there are still things in red baron 3d manager wich are still unbeaten today.

you could get slightly wounded, wounded for months or get maimed and end the carreer beeing alive,

you couldn't only get in prison and stay there for the rest of the war or escape, there was also a chance you can get repatriated.

you coud get transeferred into better squadrons by request (wich could be denied) or by order. you could also get transferred into a lesser squadron when not doing your task properly enough.

you could get grounded, executed, inprisoned or thrown out of flying duty when accidentally shooting down own mates or damaging enemy ambulance cars. sometimes there was an investiagtion by war trial wich was thrown in the paperbasket for the sake of spirit in the squad.

when you damaged e.g. your alb DII you sometimes hat to fly the halb and wait some days for a new alb. or if several of your ac got damaged, in the next mission or days some members were grounded because there were not enough ac available for some days.

a lot more things.

BHAH manager is partially there were rb3d manager was, but for sure we'll get there sooner or later drinks.gif

Good times :salute:

I remember once as a german ace had 100 kills and i was wounded and damadged and had to land behind the lines at a british airbase..

Then somthing happaend that shocked me..

I had a message saying i had died from my wounds and as a mark of great respect i was awarded the VC posthumously..

I only ever saw this once

Yep even in summer, why is OFF3 always so dark???? Any way to disable this darkroom feature.

I've noticed too, that in stormy weather or dark early mornings or evenings the graphics look much better then on sunny days... wonder if that's something that can be improved upon?

OvS wrote:

I duuno... maybe like this.... grin.gif

The new Fokker D.VII OAW... soon... don't ask when.

OH BABY!

Alright, OvS, I won't ask when, but what about...oh the hell I won't...WHEN?!

The definition of the lozenge fabric and the rib tape is very nice. The details are super. What is the the writing in the form of an arc on the wingtips? Thanks for sharing some of your work progress.Very nice of you so I won't ask WHEN!!!!!

WOW,

and that is still on the old CFS3 engine?

looks incredible.

Please post more..

m