Sign in to follow this  
Dave

What I'm Working On 1956 Add on to the Add on

I can sure try moving them inbaord on the wings ... have to remake the decal however, as the roundel is part of it. They'd also need positions/mesh names for the gear doors ... but I accidently found THEM whilst lookig for the front nose gear door name (and still haven't found it, to put the letter on)

remaking the decal is just a matter of copying off the skin template, so the panel lines remain intact on it (but getting them to line up in a nightmare!) I could always just not use the lines... That would also 'fix' the odd mapping on the lower right aileron too.

Finding out where they sit on the booms in even worse, as nothing want to line up straight...and they have to be painted on, as the boom/vert fin are one mesh. So decals are out, unless I make stripe decals with the roundel, stripes, and serial number as one big-ass one!

good luck with the new job, Gocad!

wrench

kevin stein

Do we have a standin for HMS Theseus and HMS Ocean (Helcopter carriers)?

Has anyone done a Whirlwind HAR.2 skin for Suez?

Do we have a standin for HMS Theseus and HMS Ocean (Helcopter carriers)?

Has anyone done a Whirlwind HAR.2 skin for Suez?

No we don't and since the AI can't use helicopters didn't see the need to.

they DO look a little better further inboard... still haven't figure out the booms, yet, but at least the wings/speedbrakes/geardoors are covered. 38 entries in the decals ini!! Sheesh!

Dave, check PMs please

wrench

kevin stein

Close enough Kevin based on the age of the model.

origiallly, yes, but on these they're kinda there, but not really. Doing these was a LOT harder than the simple fix to the Ouragon aileron mapping problem, and the decal I created for that.

finished the stripes, and passed skin on to Dave. Booms are painted, wings are all decals. You can see that they still aren't perfect, but MUCH better!

I'd like to include the basic "clean" tail bmp, so other non-suez skins can be created.

wrench

kevin stein

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you get the lines to appear where the decal is placed without painting the lines on (something I've never thought of doing by the way).

JB5

ok, I see what you're asking.

create a new layer on the wing bmp, under the panel and rivet lines for the stripes. Flatten, outline with rectangular marque tool, copy into a new image, and create the decal off that. Unfortunately, you can't get the lines to properly matchup with those on the skin, as the decal has to be sized up or down to fit properly on the wing meshes. Even at 1:1 size, it'll be too small

All in all, easier to NOT use panel lines, even if it looks a bit wrong (like WW2 D-Day stripes -- done a few of those, and HATE THEM!!, but they were painted on the skin map

but, due to mapping issues, and probably my inability to quite figure them out, decals was the easier way to do. Still drove me bat-s**t crazy trying to make sure the top/bottoms lined up

wrench

kevin stein

That, is a great idea Kevin! clapping.gif I've always thought that most decals look far too clean compared to the aircrafts skin, especially the weathered look I like to do. I'm going to try that next time I do decals. Thanks!

Dave, Halifax will be complete tomorrow. Do you need the decals done or have you done them already?

JB5

JimB: when you make decals, what's the opacity you use on the alpha?? Or, when crerating like serial numbers, do you change the opacity when moving the numbered layer to the center?

Conversly, you can 'fix' the opacity of the alpha by using a massivly large brush (for the suez stripes, which had a fully clear alpha around the the stipes, I created a 400 pixel brush, to cover the whole image), then changed the brush pressure down to 10%, and 'painted' the whole thing. I actually could have gone 15 or 20, but wanted the stripes to look 'fresher' than the camo under it.

Here's the actual decal tga, so you can see how I did it. You'll note that not all the lines 'survived'

wrench

kevin stein

JB

I don't have any decals made for the Halifax, so if you are up to it go right ahead.

Kevin, my knowledge of decal making in TW sims is embryonic, I'm having a hard time just getting stock TW decals to show! As you know I prefer the heavy use weather look, the decals would need to match that style.

In speaking of heavily weathered aircraft, here is the Halifax:

Halifax-1.jpg?t=1275059373

Halifax-2.jpg?t=1275059428

Halifax-3.jpg?t=1275059447

No tga decals except the stock arabaic serial numbers on the rear fuselage.

Dave, should be in your inbox.

JB5

• Like 1

nice x2!!!

I always prefered the weather look, probably has something to do with all those plane and tank models I built as a kid ... weathering them makes them look soooo much better; more realistic!

wrench

kevin stein

JB

damn dude you do not disappoint! Can't wait to get back home and try that. Thank you sir.

Hey Guys,

the EAF Halifax is great!

This campaign will be fantastic. :good:

The good news are that my PC is alive and kicking!

The power source (not the switch) failed.

It'll never happen again.

So ... this evening I hope to be back to our (beloved) Venoms (and SeaHawks).

I have (only) to test (with a little help from my friends) a new FM (just made) and a couple of cockpits (adapted) ...

Can't wait ...

Stay tuned.

Paul :yes:

cool paint on thatkite :ninja:

thats good news paulo :)

Thanks to Veltro he had made me a correct Halifax that the EAF flew. It was sold as a de-milled bomber for cargo but the EAF were able to make them back into bombers. They lacked the turrets etc. Thank you Ed!!!!

Gunner

I got your latest RF-84F stuff. Thank you.

You're welcome, if you need them I can also give the French rank list (but we all have that) and a list of pilot having taken part in Operation 700 (only a dozen or so confirmed, only a handful with first names).

Usafmtl and all,

I just wanted to mention that if you find anything useful in my old Suez campaign files, feel free to use it. Some time ago I dropped work on a WOI version of it (since I've become a dad I have so little time).

Very happy to see the War of the Stripes again :good: