Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It Hasn't Been Six Months But I Just Have To Share This !

Greetings All,

Yes, I know I planned on a six month sabbatical, but I have news for all my fellow OFF'ers that I find very exciting. Last night I loaded up a clean install of CFS3 and then installed the Mediterranean Air War, (which, like OFF, is a stand-alone complete rework of the old Microsquish sim). After I had it all set up and gave it a go I was giddy with the ability to fly about over Egypt and other such exotic locales and was wishing we could do so with our beloved OFF planes. Well, guess what? WE CAN! Not only fly, but also fight, as the following screenshots attest to.

OFF_MAW_03.jpg

OFF_MAW_04.jpg

OFF_MAW_02.jpg

OFF_MAW_01.jpg

OFF_MAW_05.jpg

OFF_MAW_05a.jpg

OFF_MAW_06.jpg

OFF_MAW_07.jpg

OFF_MAW_08.jpg

Let the inquiries begin! biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, thanks for the shared information. And just come and go as you wish---waiting on a new puter.... here- and just enjoying all the posts and screenies.

Heeeeeyyyyyhhhh! Lou, you know that now there will be some twenty posts to welcome you back -

even if it's only for a short stop.

What you discovered, means nothing less than that we could add the Mediterranean front with

Austrians and Italians, and god knows what more!

Shredward, get your facts out! There is so much to do until P5! (I should finally start to learn modelling!)

Glad to see you're stil up in the air Lou bye.gif

Nice shots and an interesting idea indeed

Some itches just have to be scratched

Good to see you M8!

Guest British_eh

Hi there RAF, well ..................too many good shots, and too much to do. I'm having enough trouble finding time to fly at all, so I'm glad to see the pics.

Cheers,

British_eh

Spare a thought for the guys who built MAW - these were some of the very best CFS3 modders and that masterpiece you've dropped your aircraft into was released to the public for free. clapping.gifdrinks.gifSalute.gif

Good shots, btw. Welcome back!

Just a thought that some may fail to consider, OFF was free to the public, for quite awhile. Surely it's not thought that BHaH burst onto the scene as payware, without former freeware availability. Actually as an innocent bystander, MAW was scheduled to be released as the years progressed in that area of operations. What ever became of that idea ? heat.gif

Modeller's burnout. They spent something like three years on MAW and many had had enough by the time it was released. The limitations of CFS3 also contributed and a number of modellers moved on to other sims. Also some had major health problems to deal with and a few have since died.

It's quite a tribute to the OFF team that they got P1 and P2 out as freeware.

Even being just a short license, welcome back RAF. :drinks:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

And also thanks to the MAW team.

blink.gif Awsome another Front ! The OFF developers are entitled to the money, Its a great game and they are still developing additions to improve and service the product Bravo !Salute.gifSalute.gifSalute.gifSalute.gif

The angled things near the pilot's head are radiators. Not sure about the center thing on the top wing.

Lou - I did this set up with OFF/MAW a few years ago (OFF P2). Posted it for interest and didn't get many "bites"..which surprised me, as MAW offered several opportunities to fly in the mid east theatre. Anyway I enjoyed it alot at the time but OFF P3 came along and I focused on Flanders again.

In the ensuing time frame I forgot (LOL!) how I set up the combination of files. It wasn't difficult as I recall.

Now that you've imported P3 into MAW, perhaps you can post a "refresher" for me and for others who may be intereted.

BTW, also as I recall, you can use the MAW Mission Editor to create new or historical missions as well. I believe you use the MAW mission editor and then open the created mission file and change the names of the planes to OFF models.

I wish I had written all this down at the time... :>)

Regards,

Royce

I missed the first set of instructions, so a refresher would be great. I remember trying MAW a long while ago, and had some problems getting it working. Were all the aircraft finished in the end. I think I remember some were missing cockpits, but I could be mistaken as it was awhile ago.

But I would love to get WWI into the scenery.

Cheers MarkL

Edited by markl

MAW was truly outstanding. I will never forget flying a swordfish mission at night over shipping when the sky lit up with flares. As I recall, there was nothing like it in CFS3 previous to MAW. Talk about immersion, - I was instantly transported to another world. What a spectacle!

Took your time getting some WW1 aircraft dragged out to the desert Lou. I had my big bad Mossie in there years ago. OK, so there weren't any Mosquitos there at that time in the war, but there would have been if I was in charge! yess.gif Having said that, I've had hours and hours of fun with the Glads and Hurricanes. Happy times with the Boys of 60! -

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JTSthEjxecA

Edited by Flyby PC

Ras, Olham, Duce, British_eh, VP, and all, thanks for the warm welcome folks, and it's my pleasure as always to share what info I have.

hairyspin, you are spot on Sir about sparing a thought for the MAW devs, they did one helluva' job with this enhancement. Like OFF, it was a total rebuild of CFS3 with outstanding results. BTW, here is the link for the MAW download for those who might wish to give it a try:

MAW Free Download Link

uncleal, AROTH has it quite right Sir, those are the radiators for the engine, and that loop over the wing is the interconnect pipe and fitting for said radiators. I believe the valve at the very top of the loop was for bleeding air out of the system and for filling purposes.

carrick58, as great as our OFF devs are, the MAW creation was the work of another fine team of artisians.

cptroyce, I assumed someone MUST have done this long before I, but stumbling upon the same mod myself is none-the-less exciting for yours truly. biggrin.gif And to answer yours and markl's query about the process, it is surprisingly straightforward. I started with a fresh CFS3 install for the MAW package, and once I had that up and running and the config set where it works best for my rig, I made a copy of the MAW install as a fallback. I then made the following changes, (so far):

"aircraft" folder: copy and paste all the folders in the OFF "aircraft" folder, (except the "shared" folder), into the matching MAW folder, allowing any files that ask to overwrite.

"shared" folder inside the "aircraft" folder: copy and paste all the files in OFF "shared" folder into matching MAW folder, allowing any files that ask to overwrite.

"sounds" folder: copy and paste all the files in OFF "sounds" folder into matching MAW folder, allowing any files that ask to overwrite, and then delete all the .gvp files.

Inside the "effects" folder: copy and paste all the files in OFF "flak" folder and "fxtextures" folder into matching MAW folders, allowing any files that ask to overwrite.

"pylons" folder: copy and paste all the files in OFF "pylons" folder into matching MAW folder, allowing any files that ask to overwrite.

"weapons" folder: copy and paste all the files in OFF "weapons" folder into matching MAW folder, allowing any files that ask to overwrite.

"buildings" folder: copy and paste a_hangarl1, a_hangarl2, a_hangarl3, a_hangars1, a_hangars2, a_hangars3, g_hangarl1, g_hangarl2, g_hangarl3, g_hangars1, g_hangars2, g_hangars3, in OFF folder into matching MAW folder, allowing the files to overwrite.

I am still swapping in vehicles, buildings, and such as I run across them to try and have more accurate Great War surroundings, and eventually I will build some missions based on historical events from this arena.

One note to remember, all the OFF aircraft files are tagged for either the United States or Germany so you will only see the plane choices in those countries' plane lists when flying quick combat or quick missions.

FlybyPC, great video you've attached Sir. And yes it did take some time to get my kite sent over to the Middle East Brigade, but I'm there now. Here are a few more screenshots of a BE2 flight I took south of Cairo this early AM. I have my video settings tweaked properly now for this so the quality is much better than the first group I posted.

My wingmen and I sitting on the runway checking our kites:

OFF_MAW_BE2_01.jpg

Looking up the Nile towards Cairo:

OFF_MAW_BE2_03.jpg

The desert sun is unforgiving, espescially when there isn't a cloud in the sky:

OFF_MAW_BE2_02.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Man, this is so touching! I understand, that this mod can be used free?

Would that mean, that it could indeed be "united" with CFS3 and OFF in a way,

that we could also fly in the other theaters?

Man, this is so touching! I understand, that this mod can be used free?

Would that mean, that it could indeed be "united" with CFS3 and OFF in a way,

that we could also fly in the other theaters?

Yes it's freely available, thanks to the good folk at AussieX who host the files nowadays. Just don't try uploading any theatre combinations you may concoct - the copyright holders insist on their rights to the original work. Can't say I blame them.

As far as "uniting" MAW with other theatres goes, the MAW theatre is already as big as the CFS3 engine allows, so a continuous theatre from Flanders to Egypt is not possible. It's a game limitation, sorry.

Edited by hairyspin

Absolutely understandable, hairyspin. What areas are covered by MAW?

Let me listen - does it speak? I can't hear, if it goes up to Northern Italy???

Olham, you might find this useful Sir:

Mediterranean_Air_War_Map.jpg

This is the region MAW covers.

Cheers!

Lou

Olham, you might find this useful Sir:

Mediterranean_Air_War_Map.jpg

This is the region MAW covers.

Cheers!

Lou

Now that brings back memories....

Guys to run WWI craft in CFS3, Korea or MAW simply put the OFF craft into the aircraft folder....of whatever version / implementation you want.

Some people have literally 1000's of craft in any specific install.

HTH

WM

WM

TKS Winder, this is what I pretty much outlined a few posts back in this thread myself.

BTW, with this new area to work on I can now get back to my Dardanelles campaign when time allows. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Good to hear from you, Lou. We're such a nice bunch of people that you just couldn't stay away for full six months, eh? :grin:

Excellent screenshots. I hope we'll see at least the Italian front in OFF some day. That would be something that you don't have in every flight sim!

Map includes Gallipoli....

http://www.century-o...%20war/turk.htm

Edit - There's an old fella in his 90's I meet when walking my dogs. His father lost a leg in the Dardanelles, and ended up making a living as a cobbler. Don't mean to be funny, but it always struck me as a weird choice of career, - being a constant reminder of the foot you've had shot off. The old fella's a real character. He used to work in forestry before there were chainsaws, and life was tough just using an axe. He says it was ok once you got the right edge on your axe. He reckons he must have been the last person to take a horse drawn wagon through a ford on the outskirts of town, and he also used to go out on the tiles with my father when he came out the airforce. I just hope I'm even half as interesting to listen to when I'm 96.... and half as fit too.

post-45899-12740337866459.jpg

Edited by Flyby PC

Just as an FYI..as I recall, the Mid-East theatre didn't get all of the same A/C available to the Western Front. It was considered a bit of a "sideshow". So if one wants to keep it historical..you don't need to d/l many a/c to create WW1 in MAW.

A check over at the Aerodrome website can be helpful to keeping things accurate, if that's an intention.

Regards,

Royce

Edited by cptroyce

Map includes Gallipoli....

Which is why I mentioned my Dardanelles Campaign project FlybyPC. wink.gif