Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

The UllyB mega-uberthread

There is no such thing as an "air-to-air" or "surface-to-air" missile RWR :no:

The acronym "RWR" (Radar Warning Reciever) itself should provide a clue as to what its function is. And that is, obviously, to warn the aircrew of the presence, and the mode of, any radars in the area, whether they be ground-based, or airborne.

You're undoubtedly getting shot down by IRMs (InfraRed Missiles), which one must acquire visually in order to avoid. :yikes:

Not all the time. I checked the log file after flight and sometimes I got shot down after a AIM-7 semi active missile was fired. If I don't hear an acoustic when the missile is firet at me(or comming in my direction) or to have a special key view to the direction the missile is coming from...there is no way to avoid it just making acrobacy. That was my point. It's all pure luck to a certain extent.

Concerning the IR sidewinder, the voice of wingmen comes too late to let me avoid it . Plus there is very confusing because the voices letting you know a missile was fired are for the wingmen too, (for all crews in fact on all the map) and not just only for me.

In other flight sims you get an acoustic signal when missile is fired at you, so you know for certain and you can make some calculation to avoid it (you see it in the radar where it comes from etc), because you know from the radar where the one who shot it is.(F-22 ADF for instance).But is true , that is o modern fighter, as someone pointed out here above.

So what I was saying in my previous post was that I look for a way like the situations when I can evade the SAM missiles fired at me(I hear acoustic when they come at me, I hear when the SAM has a lock on me, I see on radar what is the direction they come from to me etc) and I HAVE a real chance to avoid them. Trust me I KNOW that is not quite realistic for that era (there is no sound), but not hard realism I'm craving for:)

The RWR will pick up airbourne radars - although in SF1 its VERY basic compared to whats in SF2 .

Also note that it will only pick up RADARs - thats the radar on another jet or a radar on a SAM /AAA site etc - no radar guided missiles in this period have their own active radars so cant be picked up.

in the MiG-25x_avionics.ini file check for similar to this

[TextureData]

RadarTexture=Cabina/RP-21.bmp

RWRTexture=Cabina/RWR.bmp

[RWR]

Type=3_RING

AirSearchTexture=Cabina/RWR1.tga

AirTrackTexture=Cabina/RWR2.tga

AirLockTexture=Cabina/RWR3.tga

GroundSearchTexture=Cabina/RWR1.tga

GroundTrackTexture=Cabina/RWR2.tga

GroundLockTexture=Cabina/RWR3.tga

SearchPosition=0.0

TrackPosition=0.4

LockPosition=01.3715

SearchSize=0.01

TrackSize=0.315

LockSize=1.0

SearchFlash=TRUE

SearchFlashRate=0.4

TrackFlash=TRUE

TrackFlashRate=0.2

LockFlash=TRUE

LockFlashRate=0.1

TrackSound=MiGTrack.wav

LockSound=MiGLock.wav

[RWRTrackSound]

Priority=HIGH

3DSound=FALSE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=1

[RWRLockSound]

Priority=HIGH

3DSound=FALSE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=1

In the MiG-25x_data.ini check

[DetectSystem]

HasRWR=TRUE <----------

Good luck - but dont feel too down - you have picked probably the hardest jet to fly in combat - in reality its avionics and missiles were no match for the IAF F-15As - thats one reason it was such a turkey shoot for Israel.

In my avionics file I have that:

// Smerch-A2

[TextureData]

RadarTexture=cabina\smerch_radar.bmp

RWRTexture=cockpit\rwr.bmp

RadarAGTexture=cockpit\

[AvionicsData]

AvailableModes=SEARCH,ACQUISITION,TRACK,BORESIGHT

RangeUnit=KM

RangeSetting[1]=30

RangeSetting[2]=60

RangeSetting[3]=100

RadarPosition=

MaxElevationAngle=52

MinElevationAngle=-42

MaxAzimuthAngle=60

MinAltitude=8000.0

MinReturn=0.5

SearchRangeSetting=1,2,3

ScanPattern[1].BarElevation[1]=1.875

ScanPattern[1].BarElevation[2]=-1.875

ScanPattern[1].ScanRate=120

ScanPattern[1].ScanBeamAngle=6.7

ScanPattern[1].ScanArc=56

SearchRange=100

SearchStrength=100

SearchTargetTime=5.0

AcquisitionSymbolSpeed=0.5

AcquisitionTime=5.0

LostAquisitionTime=1.0

TrackRangeSetting=1,2

TrackCapabilities=HOJ,TARGET_MEMORY

TrackRange=50

TrackStrength=100

TrackMemroyTime=5.0

BoresightRangeSetting=1

BoresightElevation=0.0

BoresightAzimuth=0.0

BoresightBeamAngle=3.7

AcquisitionResetPosX=0.5

AcquisitionResetPosY=0.5

[RadarDisplay]

FadeImageIntensity=0.3

TargetFadeTime=1.00

ImageFadeTime=0.30

SweepIntensity=0.4

StrobeIntensity=0.7

ElevationScale=95

ElevationStrobeSize=0.09

TargetStrobeSize=0.07

TargetShadowIntensity=0.1

AcquisitionSymbolHeight=0.05

AcquisitionSymbolSize=0.09

NoiseLevel=0.1

DitheredSweepWidth=0.07

DitheredSweepIntensity=0.45

RangeStrobeWidth=0.07

RangeStrobeHeight=0.04

RangeGateWidth=0.05

RangeGateHeight=0.05

RangeGateIntensity=0.25

MissileRStrobeWidth=0.07

BreakXSize=0.50

BreakXIntensity=0.8

PPIArc=50

GroundReturnFadeTime=2.0

GroundClutter=0.8

MapBackgroundLevel=0.2

MapHighlightLevel=0.6

RangeRateCircleSize=0.80

RangeRateCircleScale=926

RangeRateCircleTexture=RadarVcCircle.tga

HorizonBarSize=1.00

HorizonBarTexture=//RadarHorizon.tga

ASERadarCircleMinSize=0.20

ASERadarCircleMaxSize=0.60

ASERadarCircleMaxSizeRange=0.8

ASERadarCircleTexture=RadarASE.tga

ASEHeatCircleSize=0.20

ASEHeatCircleTexture=RadarASEHeat.tga

AimDotSize=0.04

AimDotTexture=RadarAimDot.tga

BreakXRemovesRangeRate=TRUE

BreakXRemovesASECircle=TRUE

DisplayLimitLeft=8

DisplayLimitRight=119

DisplayLimitTop=6

DisplayLimitBottom=118

//121

[RWR]

Type=3_RING

AirSearchTexture=RWRair1.tga

AirTrackTexture=RWRair2.tga

AirLockTexture=RWRair2.tga

GroundSearchTexture=RWRground1.tga

GroundTrackTexture=RWRground2.tga

GroundLockTexture=RWRground2.tga

SearchPosition=0.90

TrackPosition=0.55

LockPosition=0.15

SearchSize=0.075

TrackSize=0.075

LockSize=0.075

SearchFlash=FALSE

TrackFlash=TRUE

TrackFlashRate=0.2

LockFlash=TRUE

LockFlashRate=0.1

TrackSound=MiGTrack.wav

LockSound=MiGLock.wav

[RWRTrackSound]

Priority=HIGH

3DSound=FALSE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=1

[RWRLockSound]

Priority=HIGH

3DSound=FALSE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=1

[RadarDisplaySearch]

PPI=FALSE

Symbol[01]=B_SWEEP

Symbol[02]=HORIZON_LINE

Symbol[03]=ELEVATION_STROBE

Symbol[04]=ACQUISITION_SYMBOL

Symbol[05]=TARGET_SYMBOL

[RadarDisplayAcquisition]

PPI=FALSE

Symbol[01]=DITHERED_B_SWEEP

Symbol[02]=HORIZON_LINE

Symbol[04]=RANGE_GATE_STROBE

Symbol[05]=RANGE_STROBE

[RadarDisplayTrack]

PPI=FALSE

Symbol[02]=HORIZON_LINE

Symbol[04]=RANGE_GATE_STROBE

Symbol[05]=RMIN_STROBE

Symbol[06]=RA_STROBE

Symbol[07]=AIM_DOT

Symbol[08]=ASE_CIRCLE

Symbol[09]=BREAK_X

Symbol[10]=RANGE_RATE_CIRCLE

[RadarDisplayBoresight]

PPI=FALSE

Symbol[02]=HORIZON_LINE

Symbol[04]=TARGET_SYMBOL

[RadarDisplayGround_Map]

PPI=TRUE

Symbol[01]=PPI_SWEEP

Symbol[02]=HORIZON_LINE

and in dataini file:

[DetectSystem]

//RadarName=Smerch-2

RadarType=AIR_INTERCEPT

RangeUnit=KM

RadarAzimuthLimit=60

RadarElevationLimit=60

RadarSearchTime=2.0

RadarSearchRange=70

RadarSearchStrength=70

RadarTrackTime=5.0

RadarTrackRange=60

RadarTrackStrength=40

VisualBlindArc=5,6,7

VisualRestrictedArc=4,8

MaxVisibleDistance=8400.0

HasRWR=TRUE

Do I must change to what you suggest ? Or just you showed it me for a reference point ?

Your RWR entries are fine. You must learn to accept the fact that the MiG-25 is not a dogfighter. It is an interceptor. Every airforce that's made that error, has lost MiG-25s.

So what I was saying in my previous post was that I look for a way like the situations when I can evade the SAM missiles fired at me(I hear acoustic when they come at me, I hear when the SAM has a lock on me, I see on radar what is the direction they come from to me etc) and I HAVE a real chance to avoid them. Trust me I KNOW that is not quite realistic for that era (there is no sound), but not hard realism I'm craving for:)

Target last radio call with um ctrl + R or something - check your control options.

do that then padlock with F4 - which will turn your head towards that site - there is no way to target an incoming missile itself that Im aware of.

Your RWR entries are fine. You must learn to accept the fact that the MiG-25 is not a dogfighter. It is an interceptor. Every airforce that's made that error, has lost MiG-25s.

Yeah, I know it's an interceptor (it's main role) but in this game it's a kindda waste because if you fire those semi active missile (Acrid)...there is no effect, the israelian aircraft have all chaff (except shahak I think) and they avoid it very easily. I shot down just one lost shahak once in 100% confruntations (more than 30). You have a chance only if you are close enough to fire an Atoll (the only way I shot down a F-15 and two F4s) but there was always a catch, you need two or three missiles to effectively shot down those planes, as if they had a protective "wall"..:).Weird...

I have a question. How does a pilot, in real combat situation know to avoid a sidewinder , for instance, if you shoot it from 5 km away , when he doesn't hear any warning sound? It seems impossible...How can you see something from 5 km coming to you with 2 mach ? I ask that because you said one evades sidewinder relying only by ...visual.

Edited by UllyB

I have a question. How does a pilot, in real combat situation know to avoid a sidewinder , for instance, if you shoot it from 5 km away , when he doesn't hear any warning sound? It seems impossible...How can you see something from 5 km coming to you with 2 mach ? I ask that because you said one evades sidewinder relying only by ...visual.

In that situation, he doesn't. He just gets shot down.

depends on the sidewinder model

In game after 1978 you would want to keep jets with sidewinders at a distance - before then they will be rear aspect so it would be a case of not flying straight in the combat zone for too long and checking your 6 constantly - they should be easy to avoid then. Viewing missile launches from jets is not easy in this game (even with a trackIR) compared to some others - and IRL is probably easier if you saw the MiG-29 shooting down the UAV (with probably an R-73) - left quite a smoke trail - reminded me of a Falcon 4 scenario Id seen too often!

The same problem exists for IR MANPADs (SA-7/9/15 etc) launched at you as well - if you decide to add any in.

IRL is probably easier if you saw the MiG-29 shooting down the UAV (with probably an R-73) - left quite a smoke trail - reminded me of a Falcon 4 scenario Id seen too often!

To the best of my knowledge, AIM-9Ls and 9Ms leave a minimal trail, at best. Watch the sidewinder launches and intercepts towards the end of this video: http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Guest/5/

is there an updated terrain mod for WOV(SF1) stock, in terms of graphic quality ? I saw on Deuces site something but it's something wrong with that mod , is has only a file with...snow only:)

have you looked in the downloads section? You might find something called "Green Hell" by Stary and Brain32

wrench

kevin stein

Wow ! I missed it.I remember that mod with trees. I guess I skipped that and the terrain mod , too. Thanks a lot for the tip ! You're the man;)

To the best of my knowledge, AIM-9Ls and 9Ms leave a minimal trail, at best. Watch the sidewinder launches and intercepts towards the end of this video: http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Guest/5/

Yes its surprising how little trail they leave behind - although suspect the rocket motor has been upgraded somewhat since 1979 - will see if there are any 1980s launches to compare.

With the DX10 graphics we should also be able to see the launch flash in lower light compared to how it was in SF1.

I noticed these photos, very smokey, maybe something added to the exhaust for effect?

Scroll down to the F-18 shots ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4964

I would imagine that some training and test rounds are left smokey on purpose, Lexx. The AIM-9X and AIM-120 are supposedly completely smokeless.

I got into a dead end and I don't understand how this is working . I wanted to add two more Mavericks to F-16A on a pylon that default didn't allow EOGRs but in the weapon loading screen, the game loads (accordingly to what I suggested in load.ini file) 6 Mavericks instead of two. I studied the data aircraft ini file , the weapons stations but I don't find the problem. I know that some aicraft , in past had something like this "2IRM" etc which doubled the load on the pylon. What script /setting/file controls these figures , multiples of 2 (2,4,6) ? How can I "program" to load just two missiles ?

Are you talking 2 per pylon? In the loadout.ini where it reads:

Loadout[XX].WeaponType=AGM-65

Loadout[XX].Quantity=3 <<-----------Why not just change that to 2 on the pair of hardpoints for each wing?

Loadout[XX].RackType=TER

That way, when you go into the weapons loadout in game, you'll have the choice of 2 or 6 for that pair of hardpoints,

OR

...you could leave it and the loudout.ini entry with load 4 by default.

I know with mine, with some aircraft I'll only have the choice of 2 (one per pylon) or 6 (3 per pylon) in the loudout menu, but nothing in-between. So changing the loadout.ini is how I get around it.

I solved the issue. There was a TER feature there which I failed to notice it. And of course, silly me , instead of dealing with loadout.ini file itself I was losing time scruting the data aircraft ini file.Thx!

Edited by UllyB

Anytime! :smile: The loadout.ini is in the aircraft's specific folder and it's just a text/config file that you can open and edit in notepad. You do it a couple of times and you'll realise how easy it is to edit!

Edited by Say What?!

If I wanna add a gun to a plane that doesn't have it, should the aircraft model include the gun model, too or is there another way to add it ? I noticed that copying the files needed into data.ini file won't do.(config gun itself and the system entry into the plane nose)

Isn't this covered in the KB???? It should be....

wrench

kevin stein

Guest rscsjsuso5

you got to read kb but you have to tell us which plane and where you downloaded it .

enjoy your stay

It's MIG-21PF and MIG-25PD :).

What is that "KB"? You mean ..tutorials or...?

Well I looked into KB,

Intermediate Modding/Adding Weapons/Basic Aircraft Modding (INI, Skins, Weapon Hardpoints)

but there is no GUN tutorial, only for weapons. I want to add a...gun to an aircraft. Maybe it's just me but I don't see any gun adding tutorial into KB. Maybe someone can direct me on the right path or tell me how to do it, practically.(adding the gun)