There's been a lot of Spitfire related activity here recently and why not? But I was wondering what is your favourite Spitfire version or mark number? Is it the iconic Spitfire Mk.1 of 'Battle of Britain' fame, the Mk.5 that the RAF used to go on the offensive over France and the Low Countries of Europe in 1941, the lashed-up Mk.9 that enabled the RAF to compete on equal terms with the Fw190A, the powerful Griffon-engined Mk.14 or the beautiful and graceful Mk.19? Or is it something else?

You can choose your favourite by historical importance or by looks and as a single version or as a 1,2,3. And please feel free to include the Seafire as well (but not the Seafang and Spiteful developments). OK?

Right, I'll kick off;

1. Spitfire Mk.21 - best-looking of the breed for me. Purists may not like the wing-planform but I love it and it has the classic rear fuselage (non-bubble canopy).

2. Spitfire Mk.14 - First main production version with the Griffon (I'm not forgetting the Mk.12). Great looks and FROG made it complete with a V1! How cool is that?

3. Spitfire Mk.8 - For me, the ultimate Merlin-engined Spitfire. Love the pointed fin and rudder!

Spitfire Mk.9 - Best looking for me.

Spitfire F Mk.24 - Final Spitfire - bubble canopy, Griffon Engine, 454mph and 4 x 20mm cannon.

I have to go with the Mk XIV with the bubble canopy. Great lines and a certain amount menace (necessary in a warplane).

I like Spitfire F(Mk).22 - the last used in open combat (by Egyptians during Suez Crisis). :cool:

For me it would be the :-

MK-1/11 the original and in my mind the best...

MK 11 Photo-Recon

MK-9 as a testement to British Engineering on the grounds of will that fit and if so will it work... and we all know the answer to that one...

This is too difficult a question, because I love them all!

But - for sheer flying ability, I'd go for the F.MkXIVe, although I hesitate between the standard fuselage and the cut-down version. For purely aesthetic reasons, I like the full fuselage, but for fighting, obviously the cut-down one is better. From the point of view of sheer performance and handling, it knocks EVERY other WW2 fighter out of the ring. That actually includes the Mustang, the Dora, and any jet you care to name.

For the ultimate Merlin-engined version, I'd agree the MkVIII is good, although the late MkIXe is better in many ways and tailwheel apart, is visually virtually identical.

I also like the Seafire 47 for its complete redesign of everything, but it is so far removed from the original Spitfire that it is not the same aircraft.

For sheer low-level evilness, the MkXIIc. It LOOKS so good, and at low level can hammer everything that comes at it.

The MkVc(T) with its awful, bulbous Vokes filter with its connotations of Malta and slamming the Axis in the Med for the first time...

The very early MkIs with the flat canopy, two-blade props, TR9 masts and two-prong pitots, with Type A1 markings on the wings and fuselage... And the late MkI in 1940...

You see the problem? I don't want to decide, because they're all special.

lol - difficult isn't it? I like the Mk.12 as well and the Mark 1's that had 'B' type roundels...

Ho hum.

After having a think on this... No matter which Spit you choose they are all gorgeous sound gorgeous and in fighter vs fighter combat where very effective from the start until the end... :drinks:

and the Mark 1's that had 'B' type roundels...

Don't go away...

Any Mark with the clip wings. Especially the Mk.VcLF

I've always liked the XIV and the IX best. But, it's hard to go against the most numerous of all, the Mk. V!

Merlin: Spitfire LF Mk XVIe (bubble canopy, clipped type E wing, pointed tail). I built one 1/72 model like this.

Griffon: Spitfire Mk 22. The last. The best. The end.

Griffon: Spitfire Mk 22. The last. The best. The end.

Not quite the end but I know what you mean.

Seafire Mk.47 if seafires is allowed

There's been a lot of Spitfire related activity here recently and why not? But I was wondering what is your favourite Spitfire version or mark number? Is it the iconic Spitfire Mk.1 of 'Battle of Britain' fame, the Mk.5 that the RAF used to go on the offensive over France and the Low Countries of Europe in 1941, the lashed-up Mk.9 that enabled the RAF to compete on equal terms with the Fw190A, the powerful Griffon-engined Mk.14 or the beautiful and graceful Mk.19? Or is it something else?

You can choose your favourite by historical importance or by looks and as a single version or as a 1,2,3. And please feel free to include the Seafire as well (but not the Seafang and Spiteful developments). OK?

Right, I'll kick off;

1. Spitfire Mk.21 - best-looking of the breed for me. Purists may not like the wing-planform but I love it and it has the classic rear fuselage (non-bubble canopy).

2. Spitfire Mk.14 - First main production version with the Griffon (I'm not forgetting the Mk.12). Great looks and FROG made it complete with a V1! How cool is that?

3. Spitfire Mk.8 - For me, the ultimate Merlin-engined Spitfire. Love the pointed fin and rudder!

I'll agree with the latter two, as they are basically THE respective Merlin and Griffon Spitfire models.

The Mark 20s Spitfires are a bit tricky, but I have to agree with the selection of the Mark 21, as Spits shouldn't have a bubble canopy, regardless of the advantage they offer...

• Like 1

The Mk XII, along with 91sq at Hawkinge... :salute: