Sign in to follow this  
shredward

Gone West

Dan-San Abbott has fought his final battle.

Another of the giants of Great War aviation history is gone.

Blue Skies Dan.

what a big loss. my condolences to his family.

blue skies mr abbott

When I saw his face in his avatar for the first time, three years ago, I was aware that he was in the late autumn of his life,

and so I was always asthonished, how many posts he answered, with lots of detailed knowledge; how he would always

help a newbie - even if that newbie asked a question, that had already been asked before - with patience and good info.

I have read many of his posts, and I will read more of them in the future. In these posts and infos he is still with us.

Now that you're not earthbound anymore, I know you'll always have them, but still let me use your famous greeting:

Blue skies, Dan-San!

Edited by Olham

Oh, no.

That's a pity. The last time I looked in at the The Aerodrome, things had seemed a little hopeful. Condolences to his family, of course.

Reading the posts in the thread at The Aerodrome, it seems he was really seriously ill, so this didn't come as a surprise. Such infections can be deadly even for younger and healthier people.

He was one of the biggest gurus of WW1 aviation history and his loss is a blow to everybody interested in that history. But he will live on in his writings. :salute:

I did not know Dan, but just from reading what you all have wrote I feel a little bit of a loss myself, not for myself, but for the community and his family.

I read a story once about a pilot who flew to airplane heaven. I wonder if Dan is there now? Skies up and grass down Dan, you can stop watching your 6 now, God's got it.

~Rob

Oh thats sad news. He was always active and helpful in the aerodrome forum. We had some few good conversations. Now he have opportunity to meet the ace legends and have the final answers to missing informations.

R.I.P

Fantastically knowledgeable and I'm sure he helped keep the peace with authoritative comments to decide a debate.

All the best for the final flight Dan-San

Alas, whilst Mr. Abbott's material collection may go to a good home, the unique assimilation thereof has gone with him, to the great loss of the WW1 aviation community.

I never had occasion to exchange information with him personally, but read with interest everything he posted at the Aerodrome.

The sad deaths of these exemplars of Great War aviation historical research should inspire us all to greater study.

RIP Sir.

When I joined The Aerodrome I noticed that Dan San was extremely knowledgeable about nearly everything WWI. His style of writing also spoke of someone well on and experienced in years.

I think we in this society take older people for granted sometimes, his loss will never be fully known, as Dej has said, a lot of the unshared stuff left with him.

And we are poorer for it.

Sad news, indeed. My condolences to his family and all fans of early aviation who will miss his vast store of knowledge.

OTOH, he can now ask first hand how these crates really flew!

Have a good flight, Dan. :salute:

Such a shock to read of his death. It was only the day before that news of his good progress to recovery was announced. Dan will be greatly missed for his amazing depth of knowledge, his willingness to share that knowledge to all and sundry, his patience and kindness.

He has left his mark on this world as indelibly as those men from a bygone era he held in such great respect. He has indeed earned his place amongst them.