Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

Excellent WWI Documentary

I'd better brew a pot of tea.

26 episodes at ten minutes each. Thank goodness for satellite internet out in the country here!

Thanks Shiloh.

I'm on the 3rd episode myself and not going anywhere for the next 2 hours...enjoy Duke!

Four and a half hours almost. That should be pretty detailed then?

I'll watch it bit by bit during the coming weeks - thanks for posting, Shiloh.

You're welcome guys. :good: I think it actually ends up being 17+ hours if I did my math correctly.

Edited by Shiloh

Yep, first released about 1964 and still regarded as the most informative documentary on WW1 ever. I remember watching the series on TV at the time. Ooops, showing my age.

Yep, first released about 1964 and still regarded as the most informative documentary on WW1 ever. I remember watching the series on TV at the time. Ooops, showing my age.

It was the mold for the 1972 WWII "World at War". The later is the pinnacle of all war documentaries.

The BBC's Great War is a must have for all WWI buffs.

Nice one m8...I'll watch it during tea breaks! :drinks:

Nice one m8...I'll watch it during tea breaks! :drinks:

I think you'll find it's the same series I posted an Youtube thread about last February, it is a great series

Thanks for the link, Shiloh. I will be sure to watch this with my father. He is a big WWI fan, but I am sure he has never seen this documentary.

You're very welcome guys. :good: My WWI knowledge needs some brushing up so this will be an enjoyable way for me to get the basics and gives me something to watch for the next few weeks. I don't have T.V. so I'm always searching for good stuff to watch on the internet.

Edited by Shiloh

Thanks a lot Shiloh! :good:

I think it was this series I saw on TV as a child in the late 6o’s and which got me interested in WW1!

The 26 episodes consist of 4 episodes of 10 min each so it’s about 17 hours total!

I’ve now downloaded all episodes and joined them to their original 40 min length and started to watch them on TV.

Great stuff! :ok:

Cheers

vonOben

Your most welcome vonOben - enjoy! :good:

I remember watching this as a child. We still have my Dad's copy of the book which went with it. I have also seen quite a good documentary on the making of the series.

Not sure my Mom was so impressed though. It came up in conversation once, not so long ago.

'I used to watch that,' said my Dad.

'Yes, every bloody week!' responded my Mom.

Still, I always remember it as being good!

Edited by Wayfarer

Yes indeed, that is an excellent one and I've seen it several times over the years. Let me add my thanks for the reminder of this classic as well, Shiloh.