Sign in to follow this  
Baltika

Why Jar Jar Binks is cool, and George Lucas is a genius

My 2 year old son loves him.

Simple as that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen to see the fish-faced gimp erased from history as the next man, but when your little boy is running round the house shouting "Jar-Jar" and "Darth Maul" (OK, the Sith Apprentice was kinda cool anyway), and refusing to watch any other SW film apart from EP I, it kinda changes your perspective on the whole thing.

And when you are two, or watching it with a two year old, the annoying brat Annakin suddenly turns into this strangely mature, best fighter pilot in the galaxy dude. . .

I'm just not looking forward to my lad turning into a sulky teenager and going psycho when Natalie Portman refuses to return his calls. . .

My son fell in love with Star Wars at about 2-1/2. I also taught him to play Star Wars Battlefront 2. But he has always loved clone troopers and battle droids more than anything else. So he prefers Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. He also fell in love with Hoth thanks to Battlefront 2: Snow Troopers, AT-ATs, and AT-STs. But the most memorable scene to him was Jango Fett getting his head lopped off by Mace Windu's light saber. This had a direct effect on his play time with the figures: someone isn't truly dead until you pop their head off. It has taken a lot of work for me to keep up with all of the heads, arms, and legs he likes to pop off of his clones and droids.

I can relate to this, my father showed me Star Wars for the first time when I was around 2 years old (1995-1996). He claims to have shown me Return of the Jedi first but I remember watching A New Hope first. There were soon many action figures and ships on the living room floor. Conveniently the digitally remastered version was coming out around that time too. Most memorable scene is probably something to do with an X-Wing, Darth Vader saying "No, I am you father", or any Boba Fett scene.

It's interesting to look back and realize that as a child you like the Rebel alliance but as you get older the Empire becomes so much more cooler.

Streakeagle, I think the second Jango action figure that came out had a magnetic head.

Edited by Viggen

I remember my reaction to seeing Star Wars when it first came out. I was in the 4th grade.

1. Darth Vader and Storm Trooper in opening scenes.

2. R2D2 and C3PO.

3. X-wing fighters.

I learned to draw all of the above and made my own paper models of R2D2, C3PO, and X-wings.

I love being Storm Troopers and X-Wing pilots in Star Wars Battlefront 2, almost enjoy that as much as combat flight sims and OFP/AmrA2.

To tell you the truth I personally really liked the "origin story" I mean Anakin wasn't a testube babe I listen to allot of people (star wars New Hope Geeks) and they run esp 1 through 3 into the ground Jar Jar this, little kid anikin that, Blah Blah this -N- Blah Blah that,,, if u aint Luke, Leia, hann or Chewie u ain't crap, help me Obi-Wan your my only hope,,,,,

I was there, i saw the original @ the drive in and Loved it, wasn't that turned on to empire that much, and Jedie ehhh untill the showdown with the emperor, never cared much for, The Fett's Until clones came out, Yoda was much more cooler in the first 3 in fact he was just a pure badass, and who wouldn't laff at a fellow getting his Tongue caught in a plasma steam that was rolls of fun, really who was hotter Leia or the Queen? Oh and BTW if you were one of the fine folks that got to see the original back in the day, Han really did shot first......Mr Lucas

beam me up Scotty...........

Edited by colmack

Yes, why re-write history to say that Greedo shot first? For me, Han shooting first was what made his character.

I've always been bad at drawing, but at least I could do this:

'I'll take them myself. Cover me'

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Edited by allenjb42

Well, he did it because he said that's the way it was SUPPOSED to be, but due to technical limitations (ie the squibs going off near Ford's head would be too dangerous) it was dropped. When the SE came out, it could be done digitally, so it was. Same with making Han step on Jabba's tail, since originally Jabba was supposed to be bipedal, but the redesign for Jedi made Han's motion pass thru the tail.

The first film was a defining moment in my life, as was getting the first toys (R2 and C3PO).

• Like 1

Jar Jar was no doubt aimed at Kids - unfortunately like Yoda, Lucas didn't foresee that a largely adult audience would be sitting there pinnng their dreams another classic like the original and reliving their youth :lol:

Well, he did it because he said that's the way it was SUPPOSED to be, but due to technical limitations (ie the squibs going off near Ford's head would be too dangerous) it was dropped. When the SE came out, it could be done digitally, so it was. Same with making Han step on Jabba's tail, since originally Jabba was supposed to be bipedal, but the redesign for Jedi made Han's motion pass thru the tail.

The first film was a defining moment in my life, as was getting the first toys (R2 and C3PO).

I remember signing up to get a special edition R2 :). I had few toys, like the xwing, tie fighter, lukes land speeder. I really wanted the ATAT and the Falcon. OH! I had the death star playset.

Falcon

I had pretty much all of them that came out up thru late 85, the end of the first run of ROTJ toys. After that, I never got any more.

Most kids I know born around 1990 and later, who like Star Wars, prefer the prequels and the Clone Wars series to the originals.

Old people like us just need to accept it and get over it.

There were plenty of adults in the 70s who never cared for the original trilogy either.

It seems some love stories never end. I've lost the count of the number of times I've seen these six movies (original or graphically enhanced versions). At nearly 40, I'm still a complete geek about SW, and happy as a child at most of the new products, letting apart any cold lucidity or critical mind I usually display. Nonetheless, as a fan of the Expanded Universe, I've taken some distances with the original movies. For instance, one of my favourite characters in the whole EU is Admiral Thrawn from T. Zahn's Trilogy, and my favourite era is the Knights of the Old Republic series (3960 years before Episode 4). I've found KotOR the first game the most achieved SW story: a growing band of very different characters in backgrounds and species often knocking each other (= Episode 4), an initiatory journey revealing the fate of the hero (= first trilogy), the ultimate destruction of a planetoid threat following a legendary lightsaber duel (= Episode 6), and of course the essential SW ingredient: fall and redemption.