Frigging finally starting to see light in the end of the tunnel

gallery_19311_694_138127.jpg

Approaching the point now where there is "only" the controls and gunsight left. If anyone has a good refs and schematics of the gunsight, they get to beta test :P

Is it right you are planing other versions too?

1621.jpg

not sure about the gunsight of the aerly one, but this seems to be the PD version.

Hmmm the gunsight is the plain PKI for refrences I'd have to dig but it's basically the same as in mig-21PF/PFM

gallery_19311_694_124405.jpg

Gunsight work in progress..

I need your help guys to figure out some avionics stuff, more specifically where the Sirena 3m RWR is located in the cockpit. Here is some info i have so far on the device:

Sirena RWR

gallery_19311_694_4608.jpg

General:

If Sirena3M owner is "lighted" by airborne or ground radar working in frequency Sirena3M is able to receive you will be informed about that by looking into light on display which will determine from where your primary threat is coming, and also you will hear the sound signal.

Catch no 1:

Your home airfield has landing system RSP7 or RSP6 and it is currently turned "on". This will cause all four channels of Sirena3M to activate and signalize threat, as soon as you leave your hangar, and in the air untill you go some 25km from home base. If you are on "Scramble" mission in war condition simply tell the ground crew to turn the bloody thing off.

Threat in "search" mode:

In case Sirena3M owner is "lighted" up by radar in search mode, sound signal as well as visual signal (light on display) will happen according to search period of detected radar.

Determining from where your threat is coming from:

Upper left light is turned "on":

- Your threat is forward left from your current position (1/4-3/4)

Both upper lights are turned "on":

- Your threat is straight ahead (0/4)

Upper right light is turned "on":

- Your threat is forward right from your current position (1/4-3/4)

Both right lights are turned "on":

- Your threat is on your three o' clock (4/4)

Lower right light is "on":

- Your threat is coming behind and right from your current position (1/4-3/4)

Both rear lights are "on"

- Aaarrrgh! He is at your six!!!!

Lower left light is "on":

- Your threat is coming behind and left from your current position (1/4-3/4)

Both left lights are turned "on":

Your primary threat is at your nine o' clock (4/4).

As your threat is closer and closer to you you can expect to hear/see your signals up to three times more often.

Density of your sound signal increases rapidly and your lights are flashing now -> this means that radar of your threat is tracking you now (oh no!)

As distance from your threat decreases finally all channels of Sirena3M will become active (and you won't have plain idea what is going on). This depends on strenght of your threat's radar, thus distance from your threat when this will occur is not fixed.

Checking Sirena3 functionality while in flight:

Turn your radar on, then activate "Kontr" (check) switch. It should report your own radar now. If it doesn't -> Sirena3 malfunctioned.

@Blackbrid: I think that is a MiG-31 cockpit, the PD has the antique gunsight style, found a good pic in yefim gordons book. And yeah im planning to do the RB and BM too, but all in due time..

Edited by Centurion-1

About the stick :

The Tu-128 cockpit made by ErikGen has a transparent stick, you can see it moving and still can read the gauges behind.

I did some work one the cockpit after seeing this which, in essence, destroys my work at so so many levels :grin: So I decided to add some more polys, for the greater good.

gallery_19311_694_82159.jpg

Yours looked fantastic, but the new shot is very cool! Cant wait to see the Mig-25 models for this pit ;)

Great Work!!!!

Cant wait to see the Mig-25 models for this pit ;)

Great Work!!!!

Martin, totally agree.... :good:

That is quite impressive. For sure better than any of my attempts. However I have to say I prefer the slightly desaturated blue of that Mig-15 cockpit.

I did some work one the cockpit after seeing this which, in essence, destroys my work at so so many levels :grin: So I decided to add some more polys, for the greater good.

getting more and more close to that damn Mig-15 pit :grin: Good work, seriously.

getting more and more close to that damn Mig-15 pit :grin: Good work, seriously.

Thanks man!

I tried to copy some of your techniques regarding the reflection in the glass, still havent nailed it but i think a basic reflection in the meters help the visual realism alot.

However I have to say I prefer the slightly desaturated blue of that Mig-15 cockpit.

Yeah, me too, but the real '25 has a very saturated blue color applied to it, all over... While the MiG-15 hadn't.

I worked on the stick some, still WIP.

gallery_19311_694_57032.jpg

Hello Centurion,

Beauty... Full...!!! :good:

Coupi

Edited by Coupi

I tried to copy some of your techniques regarding the reflection in the glass, still havent nailed it but i think a basic reflection in the meters help the visual realism alot.

That was a render, btw. Not sure if the reflections (including those on instruments glass) may be converted/baked into the in-game visible diffuse map.

The pit looks damn cool, please leave the stick visible as it is ... it`s great!

Second that!!

That was a render, btw. Not sure if the reflections (including those on instruments glass) may be converted/baked into the in-game visible diffuse map.

You can make them as .tga on a separate mesh and set them as reflection in the cockpit.ini.

I think we should make a good and up to date tutorial about making cockpits for Sf2 to help aspiring modders, starting with the purely visual stuff (modeling tricks, uvmapping stuff that is important, baking AO maps in 3ds max, normal maps, texturing tips) and then exporting, how to make all the ini stuff work. I know it's figure-out-able but this way we the community might get more hi quality cockpits!

I'd be willing to put my base materials/photoshop files out for distribution as well as a sample cockpit file that could include a lot of "generic" stuff like switches, lights, buttons et cetera and dials and needles out for DL, sort of a "create a cockpit-kit" where the modder would only basically need to model the cockpit layout and any plane specific stuff. I know there are some great minds in this community and great artists (julhelm, krizis *cough*) who could give a lot of good advice!

In other news, I'm making the throttle stick now, one of the more complex pieces for this pit...

A tutorial would be great, but it takes time to create one. It`s a fact that we have more plane makers than pit builder. Can`t wait to see the mig-25 overhaul ;)

gallery_19311_694_80554.jpg

99,9% finsihed :drinks:

Gonna start working on the exterior model now, bleh making a cockpit is a lot of work :heat:

• Like 2

That sir is a work of art... I think 80% of my red birds will use it, no matter if appropriate it looks that hot!

(and if only I had the skills with the texture baking, damn!)

Man you are great and that is a real artpiece, congrats!!! Hope we can use it soon!!!

I have waited so long for someone with the talent to do this baby justice!

Nice work!

MiG are gonna kill!