Sign in to follow this  
SkateZilla

Strike Fighters : Android Edition

download to Android Phone, Copy to Linux PC, open source package, Mod, Put back on Phone, enjoy.

There ya go TK, join everyone else in Saying Windows/DirectX sucks and Linux OpenGL is faster (and cheaper.)

As an indie developer, TK has always noted money as either Thirdwire's limitation or motivation (who here can't relate to that?)... If he can make more money from android market, then he'll probably (justifiably) go there... That might leave us old fashioned PC simmers out in the virtual cold... Well, this is a modern 2012 world, we can always build it ourselves...

• Like 1

Imagine ThirdWire deciding to close down the pc version!The feeling of playing this game on the PC simply cannot be surpassed.But I'm probably being paranoid right guys?

In that case, he might unlock stuff, maybe even releasing source codes. That TK would discontinue PC version might not be doom and gloom for modders, esp not if he keeps on selling it.

• Like 1

In that case, he might unlock stuff, maybe even releasing source codes. That TK would discontinue PC version might not be doom and gloom for modders, esp not if he keeps on selling it.

Or he might release a free version of Sf2 just like Arma2 with just 1 or maybe 2 flyable aircraft and with no mod support.I just hope that the android version has multiplayer!

people are so doom and gloom because of single droid game these days... source code? really don't think so, this code is used in droid version too I think

people are so doom and gloom because of single droid game these days... source code? really don't think so, this code is used in droid version too I think

+1.

He's still actively developing, patching, and releasing new titles for SF2 on the PC. They're still selling - perhaps the best they have in a while. Why in the world would he release the source code?

Would you expect your neigbor to give you his 2010 Camero because you saw him buy a new bike?

Edited by malibu43

spot on Gregg

source code is locked away grin.gif

He's still actively developing, patching, and releasing new titles for SF2 on the PC.

For a certain definition of "actively," that is true. But the past few patches and DLC have been nothing to write home about. Only time will tell.

will the phone battery last for the lenght of a mission?...lol

flight sim on phone....why ?...strange,I use mine for...calling people...remember that ? lol

• Like 1

From Facebook:

•  

Third Wire Steven, our games are not serious sims. Erwin, without giving too much away, there will be free versions (ad-supported), and paid versions will only be few bucks anyway (normal price for phone games).

This will be a cut down game only - even wonder if you will get a pit - and yes my iPhone wouldn't last a PC SF2 mission.

you guys really seriously think it will play the same as PC versions? Then you'll be disappointed big time I guess... what I am expecting is sort of instant actions with few enemies in air, maybe some bombings... in fact it's very interesting how "lite sims" developer is going to poort his gameplay to mobiles -yes I am impatient to put my nasty dirty fingers on this game :smile:

Yeah, the gameplay isn't going to be comparable. Chances are it would make ace combat and hawx look like a sim. You're not going to see full length missions, people playing phone games aren't going to fly an hour to a target dodging SAMs and drop some bombs and fly back an hour. However its broken up, it would be like five minute segments of activity.

I would hope that maybe the mobile version would satisfy his desire for being a simple game, and that the normal SF2 line can stay a good survey sim providing a realistic experience and results without the unnecessary complexity to operate.

my thoughts too Eraser

I don't fly whole missions that much, often it's air start near action, 10 minutes of action and next quickie, so no biggie for me. Also what I love in SF series is just that -the ability to play something quick yet rewarding when I have half a hour of flying time available

Wondering how much will cost to create a "base" game from scratch. We can always try kickstarter to fund the first release and then create the mods ourselves. And hire again a programmer when we need to add more features.

Stratos when I missed Thirdwire bankruptcy?

Removal of their site files?

The definitive stop of SF series2 development?

The lack of patches and DLC?

Where is it coming from guys like you, seriously, this maniac dalusional call to "make our own* game"? Don't like SF2 as it evolved to this point? Don't play it. Simple.

*our own=presumably, in the minds of those rising this utterly complex idea again and again from some time: better, more moddable, open, glorious, smooth, awesome, crowds inspiring, DCS owning, awards winning

check how "simple project" Digital Fighters turned out so far after years of development, how Fighter Ops ended, notice we had zero progress from WTR since announcement (hope you're doing well Steven!)

I won't even go into that ridiculous "start making our own game and start modding it -then hire a programmer" thing

People here used to have more faith and proper perspective (me I admit, loose it from time to time for short period of time)

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think TK doesn't WANT to get any bigger. Yes he's hoping to bring home more money with this, but I don't think his "dream" is a Thirdwire in TX the size of ED or 777 or anywhere CLOSE.

When he says "don't have the resources" he's not saying "if we sold more we could", he's saying "I don't think that will ever happen". It's easier to blame money because everyone gets that, but I think he likes his job being his business and vice versa and controlling everything himself. So when he says "no", it means it would take him so long to do he'd not be able to release anything else in the meantime, the cash influx would slow, and he'd go broke. Unless SF2 sells like Minecraft or Doom and makes him rich overnight, no normal increase in sales from any of his programs are going to sway him.

TK seems to like where he is now, whether consciously or unconsciously, and I don't think we're going to see an SF2 or SF3 heading towards LOMAC levels, let alone DCS. He'll continue to throw little things in as time goes on (like TWS radar) while at the same time slowly locking away what can be accessed (because he's realized he can sell mods for his own game), but if there's an SF4 that is released in 2020 for example, it will be closer to what SFP1 was on day 1 than LOMAC was on day 1.

Because that's what TK wants, and no one can make him do different.

Let him sell all the mobile games he wants and make the money. If I was him, I would. I wonder if he can get it running on iOS if that means he could get it onto Macs? Not that it's a big market, but it would likely sell well given how few sims there are for Macs.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think TK doesn't WANT to get any bigger. Yes he's hoping to bring home more money with this, but I don't think his "dream" is a Thirdwire in TX the size of ED or 777 or anywhere CLOSE.

few guys here been saying this for months, so some better stop dreaming he'll finally (why now I ask? not 3 years ago, or in 2015?) turn towards hardcore (hi nolimitsoya! hi CarlosTex!) level with those bloody air refueling (IF he did -I'm 100% certain I'd hear "ohh TK, you completely f-ed up the air refueling!" across the boards) TCS, working Diane and LABS (ok, working LABS would be cool -I think I'd use it twice and switch back to mk1 eyeball delivery :spiteful: )

His business, his decisions -I may disagree with alot of them, but what can I do? "Obtain source code" as some say? Then what? Print it on pink sheets and go mentaly insane? :crazy:

Only thing I won't stop bitching about is the complete lack of will to do something with the older terrain format (reflective water -I'd gladly pay 5$, hell 15$ bucks for this!) and 1998-level environments -imagine Vietnam map with layered morning fog as you ascend in your Super Sabre from Korat. Now stop imagining cause it won't happen :cry:

Stratos when I missed Thirdwire bankruptcy?

Removal of their site files?

The definitive stop of SF series2 development?

The lack of patches and DLC?

Where is it coming from guys like you, seriously, this maniac dalusional call to "make our own* game"? Don't like SF2 as it evolved to this point? Don't play it. Simple.

*our own=presumably, in the minds of those rising this utterly complex idea again and again from some time: better, more moddable, open, glorious, smooth, awesome, crowds inspiring, DCS owning, awards winning

check how "simple project" Digital Fighters turned out so far after years of development, how Fighter Ops ended, notice we had zero progress from WTR since announcement (hope you're doing well Steven!)

I won't even go into that ridiculous "start making our own game and start modding it -then hire a programmer" thing

People here used to have more faith and proper perspective (me I admit, loose it from time to time for short period of time)

Man, I think you're really burnt out with all this. There's no need to be so agresive. I'm only giving ideas. But you're right about own build games, nothing comes from them. I have all my faith in the game intact, i'm not a advanced modder like you guys are so all the unextractable things problem still are far away of being a problem to me, same with the terrains, as my pc can't handle it. but I can see the problems that generate for you so it affects me too.

Maybe this can generate some money for him and some new foundings for some features for us ;)

Thats a pretty good idea. But of course we should ask TK first. Imagine this. Making a poll about the features we want the more, a poll with varied options and with enough time to everyones to vote. Maybe things like slewable radar cursors for air to air and air to ground modes (and optical guided weapons too). And other features like that. Once the community decided we should present the results to TK to see If he want to add them. I'm sure we can gather money to Kickstarter so maybe even TK will be interested.

Man, I think you're really burnt out with all this. There's no need to be so agresive.

Pal you have yet to se me "agresive". And no I'm far from being burned, in fact I'm doing few big mods right now and few minor in the pipeline, so calling me burnt out is a stretch :tongue:

I just find the idea of "making our own game" plain stupid for 10.000 reasons

I just find the idea of "making our own game" plain stupid for 10.000 reasons

That's ok, but what about the raise money to add features idea? I will pay from 30 to 50 euros (37 to 61 $) for features like the slewable radar cursor, a OFP style helicopter FM (collective to control the height, and the stick to control speed and heading) or other features other want to add.

Edited by Stratos

by Thirdwire right? Isn't the mobiles apps venture part of it?

...or by community, to give money to TK together with features request list? IF I had say, 5 million dollars, I'd gladly hire the man for some fixes/feature work :smile: what? Not enought? Bummer I was off to buy lottery ticket

by Thirdwire right? Isn't the mobiles apps venture part of it?

...or by community, to give money to TK together with features request list? IF I had say, 5 million dollars, I'd gladly hire the man for some fixes/feature work :smile: what? Not enought? Bummer I was off to buy lottery ticket

I think we can raise a good amount of money. We are not asking for the moon, but If for example we can raise say 10000$, it will still not be enough for TK?