Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Need books to read! Know of any good titles?

I've found myself reading to make this deployment go by faster. Unfortunately I only have a few books. Any of you guys know of any books with a feel similar to Red Storm Rising? I've read the majority of the other Clancy novels and want to branch out some.

Tom Clancy? read "Sum of all fears". Other than that, try "Shattered sword" by Parshall and Tully. Its about the battle of Midway. Very cool book. Also try "With the Old Breed" by EB Sledge. True story of Marines on Peleliu and Okinawa.

Goto the USO or there should still be a book shelf in the mwr center or phone center. Always something there if you expand the search parameters and msny of my favorites were first read across the water.

I've found myself reading to make this deployment go by faster. Unfortunately I only have a few books. Any of you guys know of any books with a feel similar to Red Storm Rising? I've read the majority of the other Clancy novels and want to branch out some.

Try this one, Its all true. If this guy was an American he may have received the CMO. A German ex-pat that came to America after WW2. After a short stint in the USAF and getting his 2 year degree he entered the NAVCAD program and went to war flying the A-1 Skyraider for the US Navy. The movie "Rescue Dawn" was based on this story.

http://www.amazon.com/Hero-Found-Greatest-Escape-Vietnam/dp/0061571377

The Wingman series by Mack Maloney, bit old so you might find it difficult to find it online. Warthog and The debate of Close Air Support is another good book, I'm reading it right now.

Falcon

Read the "Donovan Creed" series by John Locke for action, adventure, and laugh-out-loud black humor.

First Air

The Ten Thousand - I cannot recommend this book enough.

Sword Point

how about "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors"??

Harvey Black's triology:

- The Red Effect. The Day the Cold War Turned Hot

- The Black Effect. The Day the Cold War Turned Hot

- ?

Third one is not yet published. The story focusses on British soldiers on the eve and during WWIII in Germany. Black was a British Army Intelligence officer in Germany and definetly knows his stuff. While many WWIII-books set in Germany read like fictions when describing landscapes, this one is real. Also a great attention to technical details is paid, to a point when it even becomes exhausting. The battle scenes are very good though.

But be warned, the first book only deals with the first 20 minutes of war, the second is about three days into the war.

Try "Thud Ridge" by Jim Broughton.

Here's a sample of Berent's work, a non-fiction short story about a Laotian Kharst Ridge that he christened  "Rho Magna", in PDF format.  It also includes an excerpt from one of his novels (Phantom Leader), into which he weaves his real-life experiences:  

rho-magna-the-laotian-war-dragon.pdf 

Edited by Fubar512

Any of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child are fun reads. (I have no idea why they picked Tom Cruise to play 6'5", 250 lbs. Jack Reacher in the first of these books turned into a movie. Got to give him credit though, he did a good job)