Muesli

Back to Bosnia, 20 years after my tour.

Hi dear CA peepz...

I have been lurking here for quite a while because Real Life was not what it was meant to be for me. I have wrestled through a divorce, being homeless

and penniless, my PTSD flaring up.... just a few potholes in my road...

As I am crawling out of that pothole, I am slowly rebuilding my life. I have an appartment now which is my own safe haven, I am the best daddy my son can wish

and I have even found out that women seem particularly interested in me. It has been a huge boost in my damaged self esteem. At this moment I am

investing in a relationship with a woman who wants to understand my 'war wounds' and offers me her strength to share the burden. She also is

'insane in the membrane' and a lot of fun. It brought back the spark of life. I am more than just a single father.

Thanks to all these circumstances, my best friend (who has never served) , has offered me to go on a road trip to Bosnia.

It will be my third trip down memory lane, and it is extra special because this year it is 20 years ago that I served with the UNPROFOR forces.
We'll be going by car, driving to Srebrenica where a Dutch friend of mine lives in the surrounding mountains. He was part of the

Dutchbat III forces when the enclave fell.
After Srebrenica, we will go to my former base location (Busovaca) and to Sarajevo. After that we'll visit Mostar and we'll be

doing the tourist routine there.
After a few days, we'll continue to the coast and we'll be enjoying the seaside with hopefully a stay in Split or Trogir. After that

it is road trippin'  back to the good ole Netherlands.

It means a great deal to me, and it certainly helps soothing some wounds. It certainly is another step in the staircase to an easier life.
I will try to keep you posted on this subject, I really would be happy to share my experiences here with you.

Cheers, Iwan

Edited by Muesli
  • Like 8

Goed verhaal Iwan, glad to hear !!!!

Good luck! I always wanted to go back to Bosnia. I would love to visit Brcko, Zivenica, Tuzla, Odzak, Bosanski Samac, Srebrenica, Potocari, and many other places I was at in Bosnia from 96-00.

• Like 1

I was in Mostar Airport in 1999, maybe return someday, visit Split, Mostar, Dubroknic.....ahhhh old times....

Glad that all is well and really happy that your okay Iwan... I understand on the PTSD front as I was out there in 95 and 1999/2000 and my life is moving forward though I have bad days and good days... but it seems that you are doing the best you can and you are being rewarded for it. I still need to make my trip there which I keep putting off due to what may happen to me and how it will affect me, though I need to do it and know this, your a braver man than me and I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well now and in the future... :salute:

• Like 2

I'm glad you are getting better Iwan, have a sound and safe trip.

and take pictures!!! :D

Life is full of ups and downs isn't it. The trick is to get thru the potholes as you say. It sounds like a great trip Iwan. Relax and enjoy yourself. Its even better when you have some friends going with you. Rent a fishing pole, enjoy a beer on a sunny veranda at some pub, and reeeeelaaaaaaaax. :biggrin: 

Edited by pcpilot
  • Like 3

it's more than great hearing that you're getting your life back together, Iwan!

keep up with the hard work, it pays off.. enjoy the trip

and keep us informed :)

Cheers!

I am so happy things are working out for you my friend. 

Glad to see things are getting back on track for you! hope the trip goes well

I would love to go back with UNPROFOR, IFOR, and SFOR vets.

I was in IFOR, SFOR2, and SFOR6.

I inspected a weapon site in Potocari in 99 at the old Dutch Bat HQ. What I saw there is unspeakable. We also got into a physical altercation with the VRS Grey Wolf battalion, which my Platoon leader gave a Bosnian Serb militia truck driver who was carrying an unauthorized weapon through the ZOS a WWE style body slam.

Every time we went to Sreb I got chased by wild dogs so be careful!

Keep in touch!

Just as I am about to embark on a roadtrip to Bosnia... this is happening.
Friends are already there experiencing it firsthand, I will probably see some of it myself... Damn!
Good luck for all there, for all who live there and for all who have friends or relatives there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/15/balkan-region-floods-serbia-bosnia-herzegovina_n_5333581.html?utm_hp_ref=green

• Like 1

keep it safe my friend and enjoy the trip no matter what!

Right guys.

It'll be radio silence from now on. I will depart for Bosnia at 06.00 local time

and I will be home June 4th. There will be a lot of surprises waiting, and I will

try to make an account on my adventures when (ìf!) I get back!
See you later guys!

Iwan