tiopilotos

Lower the minimum track altitude for SAM radars

Flying lower than 1500 ft in SF2 means that you're quite safe from SAM threats (not MANPDAS). Maybe you can be tracked but there will be no missile launch. In most SAMs minimum track altitude is set to 100m or 300m but these limits seem that don't work. You can actually fly at 400m (~1300 ft) but still no launch or even no tracking.

Any ideas on how to lower this limit, so that a SAM radar can track and launch a missile at lower altitude?  

I don't know what you're flying against, but I can get tracked and engaged almost down to ground level (and NOT by manpads)

get eburgers's SAMs and AAA packs.

they have corrected ranges and altitude limits.

Same here. I have had SAMS fire at me while running at treeptop level. The SA-13's are particularly nasty.

Yeah same here, tree-top level is barely safe, I have to drop below 50m to be fully safe, ofcourse then I have MANPADS and AAA just waiting for me...In my installs it's actually safer to bomb with retarded bombs from low level (snakeye) than to come in at 3000m - 5000m and lase the GBU's on targets...HARMs help though :D

Edited by Brain32

Yeah same here, tree-top level is barely safe, I have to drop below 50m to be fully safe, ofcourse then I have MANPADS and AAA just waiting for me...In my installs it's actually safer to bomb with retarded bombs from low level (snakeye) than to come in at 3000m - 5000m and lase the GBU's on targets...HARMs help though :D

Isn’t that the truth! Such a shame the game doesn’t model the avionics for low level radar toss or lob bombing.

Edited by dtmdragon
  • Like 2

Isn’t that the truth! Such a shame the game doesn’t model the avionics for low level radar toss or lob bombing.

So true

my exeperience(or whatever) 200ft agl minimun to avoid radar detecion but keep an eye on flack

also at this altitude most enemy fighter wont engage!

The technique illustrated:

Note the Airspeed Indicator, it is reading 550 kt.

At this speed and altitude, Flak has very little chance of getting you. The best thing to do is accelerate, and ignore it. If you try to evade it, you run the risk of flying into the ground. 

my exeperience(or whatever) 200ft agl minimun to avoid radar detecion but keep an eye on flack

also at this altitude most enemy fighter wont engage!

I was just downed, a dozen minutes ago, by a GDR MiG while flying a Tornado at circa 100 ft... Not that safe! 

Well, it's quite true the AI won't follow at three top, most of the time. Some planes tends to do it. Other refuse. 

What's certain is that when all-aspect or good missiles are in play, ground level won't save your skin. 

Guns... Well... F-11 once followed me at tree top and downed me with its gun. It depends, once again. 

it must have to do whit pilot training

and the AI seccions in the aircraft data ini has well mission conmtrol ini irrc

Short range SAMs like SA-13 or SA-15 indeed can engage enemy aircraft at very low altitudes but do you get a launch at 500 ft from SA-2, SA-3 or SA-6 ?

not likely i thing special Sa-2 it use a very old radar fansong whit alot of ground cluster!

but fly as low has possible

You should not. Your game is fine. If the SA-8/13's are tracking all is well. SA-2/3/6's are mostly medium to high altitude SAMs. Over flat terrain Goa's and Gainful's will be able to track you down to 300 feet. 

Edited by Stick