What I would realy like to know, where are the specific differences in the fm editing and numbers between those two modes. I have started this game some years ago with hard settings, and after a time i have noticed, some planes are only flyable in normal mode.

Can someone pls explain to me where the differences realy are?!

And what would you say, if we standartice this fact to only one setting for all fm`s?! So you don`t need to switch between those two modes.

Hard FM uses the entire data ini values. It is designed to be as realistic as possible, but requires detailed tables of physics constants. Some flight models have incomplete/incorrect information that make them behave poorly on "Hard". Normal uses a simpler, more linear model that doesn't have as much stability or stall issues. I understand the math and always played with hard FMs. I don't know what equations or math is used by normal.

Even the stock FMs thoroughly researched and tweaked over the years by TK can't have entirely accurate data. Some real-world pilots preferred the behavior of normal over hard.

In the end, it will never be a true simulation whether you fly with hard or normal, which is why TK used the world "hard" instead of "realistic". So, if you like advanced physics modeling of stability and dynamics, play on hard, if you prefer more stability/smoother control, play normal. It is a game and it is supposed to be fun, so play the way that makes you happiest.

thanks for the info

If I set it to hard mode, the engine tries to use all fm ini entries as hard mode and the incomplete aircrafts behave not so well under this settings.

What are you guys use to fly in this game?

I've been using normal all time, but with one exception. When we were doing KAW, and testing the Sabres, I used hard. (but did switch back)

Also, iirc, the AI only uses normal, regardless of what YOUR setting is

And the normal mode doesnt read all the ini entries of the fm in the data ini ?! Strange prog

Cause the planes behave very different in those modes, the helis also. and we are working on the Su-17 and our FM guy did a great job on the fm in Hardmode. But if the majority of you guys are using the normal mode...

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

I for one use only and always "Hard".

If a plane behave poorly in hard mode, it get edited or deleted :smile:

• Like 1

I use hard mode with enemy skill level set to normal.

I fly Normal, and pretty much good to go with that, as Hard is a bit too unrealistic even for my tastes.

I fly hard, but that being said i fly mostly stock stuff. It just addds a little interest when your aircraft starts bouncing around a bit. However, i don´t ee much diference

A properly configured FM would be best flown in hard mode.  The issue is, that this had become a moving target, due to how TK decided that stalls (and stall recovery) should be handled, in later patches.  

In short, FMs penned up since the last patch release are generally OK. Earlier ones often exhibit weird behavior at the point of stall, and also, post-stall.

I fly "hard" FM typically, but that largely has to do with the fact that I fly the F-14 a lot, and I find that I can fling the aircraft around better using hard FM.  It's kind of difficult to explain, more of a feel thing - the plane feels more natural in hard mode to me, and seems to respond better especially at low speed/high AoA to my inputs. 

I always fly on Hard mode.

For example, when flying the the stock F-16netz on  normal the controls are too responsive.

"Hard" settings from SFP1 to SF2NA...

Hard FM, normal G-locks, custom sensitivity
Normal FM is just too smooth for my taste and i like when some jets are actively trying to kill me. Besides, even on hard FM, most birds are pretty docile when compared to some "hard" simulators, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as the FM is well modeled. The AI usually needs all the help it can get anywyas ;)
Besides, why waste the effort of all those good people that made the FM, right? :)

• Like 1

Hard FM, normal G-locks, custom sensitivity

Normal FM is just too smooth for my taste and i like when some jets are actively trying to kill me. Besides, even on hard FM, most birds are pretty docile when compared to some "hard" simulators, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as the FM is well modeled. The AI usually needs all the help it can get anywyas ;)

Besides, why waste the effort of all those good people that made the FM, right? :)

The AI always uses a "hybrid" normal flight mode, some aspects of which are similar to the player's easy mode,.  I've seen AI birds perform maneuvers and exceed limits beyond what the player can do in that same aircraft.

The AI always uses a "hybrid" normal flight mode, some aspects of which are similar to the player's easy mode,.  I've seen AI birds perform maneuvers and exceed limits beyond what the player can do in that same aircraft.

What i meant by "the plane is actively trying to kill me" is the plane i am flying with  :biggrin: 

It's kinda fun when your AC is having nasty stall/spin tendencies..... at least in a sim :blackeye:

The AI on the other hand (especially when set to hard) does seam to fly impossible cartwheels if given the proper plane and enough fuel....

Hard FM kinda feels manual vs automatic in cars.. It's trickier but does allows for more controls. Like putting the Saber in a short spin to break away from a squad of Mig -17