Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

LFG Roland D.II

I've been working on the 1917 German fighter. The fuselage has been giving me headaches, but I think I have it worked out. I'm working on the cockpit and finishing the skins now.

post-67404-0-07905900-1437159076.jpg

post-67404-0-20348200-1437159085.jpg

post-67404-0-28810600-1437159092.jpg

• Like 3

I like it Stephen! I didn't know this WWI fighter!

• Like 1

Nice work, Steve.  It may have been a hassle, but you captured the flowing lines of the fuselage.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Stephen, you are abso-bloody-lutely AMAZING! What a great addition! Thank you!

• Like 1

Nice work, Steve.  It may have been a hassle, but you captured the flowing lines of the fuselage.  :biggrin:

Yes, expect this would be a hard aircraft to model with its streamlined fuselage and a hump near the front, but this looks great. 

• Like 1

This one was only a drawing in my book - what a great add, Stephen1918 - thank you! 

• Like 1

Looks great! Thank you so much. Very much indeed.

post-89859-0-72811100-1437366440_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've refined the fuselage a little more, finished the cockpit, worked on the skins, and made some decals. Right now I'm finishing the LODs, adding node names and min/max extents to the data.ini, and asking myself "what am I forgetting?" - it won't be long now.

I'm not sure about the green and mauve skin, but the green and brown seems right.

post-67404-0-96579600-1441852597.jpg

post-67404-0-64617200-1441852607.jpg

post-67404-0-20660800-1441852639.jpg

post-67404-0-79535000-1441852649.jpg

post-67404-0-55312600-1441852659.jpg

post-67404-0-76556900-1441852674.jpg

• Like 2

Steve - Looking good, especially the cockpit.  :biggrin:

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

Thanks Geezer. The second shot shows what so many pilots complained about. The pylon on the fuselage that held the upper wing made it a very strong plane, but blocked the pilot's forward view. Later Roland D series planes had a more conventional construction.

I uploaded the LFG Roland D.II today. My thanks to ojcar for making another excellent FM.

Great plane and FM. A real enhancement to FE2. The nose work and the cockpit look superb. Thank you very much guys.

• Like 1

I congraulate you, Steve! It's a splendid model. I've always wanted to see this airplane in FE. Thank you! Now it would be nice to make the D.IIa modification - these were released more than D.II.

But I can not refrain from criticism - as ever. )) As you know, these fighters was produced by LFG and by Pfalz. Note that each company painted crosses in different ways and in different places. For applying markings to identify the manufacturer. In addition, the planes built by LFG the serial numbers were not applied, unlike machines made by Pfalz. So you made the plane, which has an inverted (sic!) badge of the LFG company, but with the markings of the Pfalz Plant. Next. You made a great cockpit for the your Roland D.II. I think the Roland's cockpit, which we see in the game, very close to the historical prototype. Except that there was a fuel gauge (outside the cockpit), although without him it's okay. More importantly that those two "sticks" on each side of the cockpit should move synchronously with the control knob, similary to the Nieuports. (I mean the aileron push-pull rods and the aileron vertical/horisontal rod-link quadrants). Look at the pictures.

post-89859-0-08922400-1442786469_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crowford

Here is a good example.

post-89859-0-02229300-1442788082_thumb.jpg

post-89859-0-98239600-1442789039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crowford

The propeller had two prominent emblems of the manufacturer.

Edited by Crowford

The badge of the LFG company was on each side of the plane. The Pfalz company drew his logo on the rudder.

post-89859-0-29321000-1442817748_thumb.jpg

Crowford, thank you for your comments!

I will admit that I did some fudging on this plane. I left off the fuel gauge because the forward view was already obstructed enough with the pylon right in front of the cockpit. I actually made the pylon a little thinner than it should be to try and improve visibility. In real life, the pilot could tilt his head to see around the pylon, (there was also a gun sight next to the pylon, which I also left off) but head tilting  isn't possible in FE. For me, it's nearly impossible to hit another plane from the cockpit. I have my best luck flying from outside, positioned behind the plane (F5 key.)

If the only difference between the DII and the DIIa was the engine, I could make a new version, if Ojcar wants to make the FM.

I used the Roland logo from the Windsock Data File, which shows a black background, but I see in one of your photos that it had a white background?

The aileron control rods on my model actually do move, but you can barely see it. From the cockpit, you can sort of see the aileron control wheel rotating on the upper wing. And at the front floor of the cockpit you can see the cross bar turning when you move the stick.

I did mix up the two versions. The LFG version had the fuselage insignia farther back on the plane with no serial numbers. The Pfalz version had the insignia closer to the cockpit to make room for the serial number, like my plane.

I can make new decal sets for the two versions and upload them in a few days.

• Like 1

The D.IIa had somewhat lenghtened nose, axle moved forward and revised louvred access panels....but it looks nearly the same. I have no problem to making a D.IIa FM if you don't mind some little inaccuracies in the model. But have in mind pilots liked the D.II more, because the Mercedes engine didn't lose so much power than the Argus one in great heights.

• Like 1

I'll look into making changes to the model for a DIIa. The real world is keeping me busy at the moment so it may take a while...

In real life, the pilot could tilt his head to see around the pylon

Yeah, for this airplane need more keys like in first person shooter - "lean left/right". ))) Otherwise it is almost impossible to aim. But "head tilting isn't possible in FE"...

As seen in the photos, moved not only the push-pull rods, but the rod-link quadrants too.

post-89859-0-00328700-1443012623_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Badges of the LFG Plant where indeed "white". Anyway, on the Rolands C.II/D.II photos I haven't seen a "black" badges.

post-89859-0-57821500-1443014581.jpg

post-89859-0-34997100-1443014653.jpg

• Like 1