• Announcements

• Erik

IMPORTANT - Please read   08/15/2017

Trying to log in? Your new username is your display name (the name shown when posting). We no longer have separate usernames and display names. Usernames were converted to display names.
      https://combatace.com/contact/ for problems logging in.
Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

How many of us still fly WOFF?

Hauksbee    98

I notice that of all the things discussed, OFF/WOFF is never mentioned. I think I gave it up 'round about the time WOFF moved over to SimHQ; maybe a bit sooner. In truth, I never "gave it up", I just flew less and less, until I wasn't flying at all. But I remain very much interested in WWI aircraft, and want to preserve a connection with the people I met here at Combat Ace. I keep promising myself that I'll dust off my joystick (it sits on the floor by the computer ) strap on a D.V and get back to it. But other stuff gets in the way. Near the top of my 'Bucket List' is firing up ROF and flying on-line against real people. Soon. I keep promising myself.

What about the rest of us who wander through here?

I only fly in the fall/winter/early spring,  The room I have my WOFF computer in gets to hot to run heavy graphics.  Upstate California gets toasty in the summer.

Beard

33LIMA    762

Not interested in playing any game or sim online, so the lack of that feature in WoFF, or its presence in RoF, is not a factor for me. At the moment I'm spending most of my sim time working on stuff for Britpack '44-x for Panzer Elite. Apart from firing up Atlantic Fleet for the odd sea battle, most of the rest of my sim time is being spent playing one of my current PWCG campaigns in RoF, which I find provides a different but not massively inferior SP campaign experience to WoFF. Will be back with WoFF when the fancy takes me and I have more time to spare.

Olham    150

I don't fly at all since months - I am sailing frigates in NAVAL ACTION. Never "gave up" on WOFF though  - I'm sure I'll fly it again, when the "wing virus" infects me once again.

Wolfram Harms.jpg

Dutch_P47M    3

I'm still goingon, every weekend mornig 7:00h, so twice a week a campaign mission. Rof still on the disc only PW-CG is rather boring if being compared to Woff UE campaign. Online Rof did give it a try, but always the server list is complete empty, or blocked by a password.

lederhosen    0

Salute

I've moved downwards into submarines. Still an old game SH3 but with mods I like it. Even has mmp.

I keep thinking of firing up WOFF but can't make the time for it at the mo. I did try going back to ROF but the AI drives me nuts in career.

HumanDrone    4

I haven't "given up" on WOFF at all.  I love the sim and the camaraderie; I disliked the move to SimHQ because it split us up.  WOFF Forum members have been far and away the most genteel and likeable folks I've ever had the pleasure to deal with, and the sim, in my view is a work of art, historically reverent, and actually a valuable tool to teach youngsters with, if you can nab them.  We all know this is no arcade game; if you cannot fly, if you don't know your craft, your opponent's craft, good tactics and airmanship, you're dead.  It feels real, it brings in the deadly perspective, at least for me, of that awful moment when you realize you've ended another man's life - or that yours is about to end.  Olham, I remember you writing about  your satisfaction of bringing your wingman home; I haven't had the pleasure yet, it's all I can do to get my own tailfeathers home, and my campaign pilot hasn't even seen any combat yet!  It amazes me how these guys even got to their assigned area and back, much less fought in these crates.

But real life has been just ludicrously busy for me for a long time.  I may snatch a few minutes here and there for a quick flight.  I have a single "throwaway" pilot that I trained and am flying early in the war, but in those few quick moments I generally go QS, don't fly a full mission, and it doesn't get logged.

I haven't been around here too much because it's tough to keep up with two fora when most of the "action" is over at the other, like it or not.

I just hope that by the time life actually settles down for me, that we still have a solid core group of "good guys" to hang out with and swap the stories, of which I've seen so many; get help, etc, maybe even contribute something for once.  I miss the action, to be sure.  And it's quite natural, after all  this time, for folks to move on.  But I love the sim, and all the good people that inhabit these forums.  Hauksbee, I remember our meet-up at Wright-Pat last year, with RAF_Louvert, Mike, Jenks, CW3SF, and all the others, good times!  I hope we can do it again sometime.

Best to you all, and Godspeed!

Olham    150
5 hours ago, HumanDrone said:

Olham, I remember you writing about  your satisfaction of bringing your wingman home; I haven't had the pleasure yet, it's all I can do to get my own tailfeathers home...

It is really hard to survive in WOFF, and I used to fly more and more defensive, to achieve that.
Try the Pup and fly as high as you can - the Albatros cannot follow you there! Good luck!

JimAttrill    22

I still fly occasionally in a Camel and some German two-seaters.   As an ex-member of 4 Squadron RAF ground crew on Harriers I had hoped to run a campaign through the whole war.  A bit boring though as they flew BE2s and RE8s.   I do miss the DiD campaign which was my main reason for going to the 'other' forum. 

Maybe I should try an Albatros.  Which is the best one and what time is the best?   Olham will know that of course.

Hals und Bein bruch! 

4 squadron.jpg