It is a free upgrade so expect many will take it up.

56 minutes ago, Wrench said:

i'm sure MS will find a way to screw us up (sticking with 7 a long as possible)

7 was a good one. Windows 10 has been a mixed bag for me. I've been quite successful getting some old games to run but Microsoft has been very annoying trying to flog their products and the Dell G5 rig I bought is a bit of a shit box. Check some YouTube reviews! Fortunately, after removing some bloatware the performance has improved considerably.

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

2015?

might want check what year we're in now!! :lol:

:yikes: Oops - missed the correct press of the [2] key there. Too bad I can't edit that post to set it straight.

• Haha 1

Only problem I had with Windows 10 was the new laptop I had to run the game as an Administrator. Other than that it runs fine.

I didn't migrate to Windows 10 until the very last day of Windows 7 support. So I got a mature version and it's been nothing but excellent as a gaming, business app and development platform. I do run it on a custom built desktop PC with a quality mobo and components, which no doubt helps.

I moved to W10 last summer because i NEEDED it to play Forza games, and never had any issues. In fact after getting used to it and all it's extra features, i like it.  It's much better now than it was when it was released. I've come to the conclusion that underneath it's basically a more advanced version of W7, and on the outside it's just pretty new clothes.

As for W11, it needs a DX12 GPU. The problem.cryptocurrency mining has gone NUTS. Unless you're fine with some overpriced low end option....wait for the market to get back to normal. IF it ever does....

Edited by xXSyllasXx

Personally I think you are all kidding yourself if you are hopping that TK will add or bring something regarding SF Series. I don't see that happening, also I don't see TK tripping on the "pretext" called Win 11. Call my a skeptic, that's what my nose is telling me. Time will tell us who was wrong I guess.

Edited by UllyB

I migrated to Windows 10 because I was running VR on an Oculus Rift/Rift S and at one point the patches for the Oculus software required Windows 10 to move forward. The biggest problem I had was that I upgraded my existing Windows 7 install rather than starting with a blank hard drive. The problem is that USB 3 is native to Windows 10 whereas Windows 7 required drivers, so my Oculus Rift and Rift S headsets were crippled by Windows 10 being confused/broken by Windows 7 USB drivers. After struggling to get stability, I ended up installing Windows 10 on a clean SSD. From that point forward, Windows 10 only gave me the trouble that Windows Update periodically causes... until Windows Update somehow got broken and I had to do a clean install to recover. I will migrate to Windows 11 whenever it makes sense but I am in no hurry to be an early adopter unless it somehow makes DCS World run faster/better.

As for Strike Fighters Project 2, it remains the sole sim supporting the Post WW2 to modern jet era. I hope TK is able to follow through with his Windows 10 update and that it generates enough interest to justify moving forward with SF2 development. But the failure to hit the crowdfunding target tells me that SF2 isn't going to continue development and the lack of communication from TK well past the time the update was supposed to be completed isn't very encouraging either. The opening of the Discord channel was a good sign, though. Only time will tell.

In the mean time, DCS World continues to be my primary flight sim with online PVE servers for Korea and Vietnam consuming most of my flight time. I just wish DCS had the F2H-2 Banshee for Korea and the F-4 for Vietnam, but the F-86, P-51, and MiG-15 are great for Korea and the UH-1, F-5, A-4E, MiG-19, and MiG-21 are great for Vietnam.

10 hours ago, streakeagle said:

In the mean time, DCS World continues to be my primary flight sim with online PVE servers for Korea and Vietnam consuming most of my flight time. I just wish DCS had the F2H-2 Banshee for Korea and the F-4 for Vietnam, but the F-86, P-51, and MiG-15 are great for Korea and the UH-1, F-5, A-4E, MiG-19, and MiG-21 are great for Vietnam.

Along with Crusaders and MiG-17s...As soon as i settle down and can afford the time and cash, I think I'm diving on to DCS. Still think i will keep going back to SF2

I can't wait for the Crusader, it is inevitable, but the time table is never accurate from Leatherneck. I can't wait to get their F4U-1D Corsair as well, which will be added the Korea server as a stand-in for the F4U-4.

DCS keeps me busy enough that I very rarely fire up SF2. Sometimes I just feel like fighting in an F-4 or Century series aircraft. I have gotten VR to kind of work with VorpX, and unlike DCS World, VR runs with the fps maxed out for a fairly decent experience minus the fact that your head isn't really free to move around and the rear cockpit is not modeled. I usually fly DCS for 1 to 4 hours every night and sometimes for most of the weekend except for when I am sleeping, eating, or doing chores. That used to be my SF2 schedule before I had a PC that could run DCS well and the plane set expanded beyond the A-10, Ka-50, and P-51D. It seemed like the Fw190D9, UH-1, MiG-21, F-86, and MiG-15 all came out really close together, which kept me busy for quite some time. The DCS UH-1 experience in VR on the Vietnam server is fantastic. The UH-1 is currently a little too tough. It can sustain quite a few hits from rifles and machine guns. But that allows you to have more fun shooting/blowing things up than would be possible if it was realistic.

I will still keep SF2 on my hard drive as long as it remains compatible. I hope TK is able to maintain compatibility over the years even if he never makes any other patches or content for the game.

• Like 1