Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

DA's TOTALLY TERRIFIC THREAD OF STICKERIFFIC IMPROVEMENTIFICATIONS. and stuff

And the results are superb! Well done mate!

• Thanks 1

this worked better than i expected for my attempt at "turnerization".....

66df781c7e7be_step1.thumb.jpg.395cac86c75a5fc3a6f5de6ed0b0ab6e.jpg66df781e82c0b_step2.thumb.jpg.a151c988699bfd16a7561235ed59e7d1.jpg66df781fbbfba_step3.thumb.jpg.e7140bff11575cd1be2b7df7fd3a83cb.jpg66df7820ddcc2_step4.thumb.jpg.f63bb34f939f427ed3af29f1faed5c72.jpg

• Like 7

Don't you love it when a texture comes together? :biggrin:

• Like 1

While I like the high-tech feel of the fifth-generation fighter jets, I also like the unique painted details on the old-school aircrafts.Looks really good!:good:

• Thanks 1

recce birds winding down (just waiting on a last few nose art images), time to scrub some Vipers

scrub2.thumb.jpg.00c9f9078bab4a0e1a4d4a5cc6b8bffc.jpg

and yes to the gentleman from Kansas thats been asking, the 184th TFG is on the list

scrub.thumb.jpg.be66f61892de7d75b77d95b75a176a79.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean for A3 I used an excel sheet for bullets and related config stuff, but that's an impressive list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

recce birds winding down (just waiting on a last few nose art images), time to scrub some Vipers

That spreadsheet gave me nightmares of having a real job again...............:biggrin:

img00002.thumb.JPG.bd4703ee7be1fe7dbb673bcd844454f4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

thank you everyone who contributed in the Simple Model Request thread, esp thanks to ravenclaw_007 (he did do the model work)

img00031.thumb.JPG.ef004c65043c0f57ca86f552345b97ff.JPG

now just gotta wrap them AlphaJets up and do the fun parts: ini edits, loading screens etc

• Like 3

On 9/24/2024 at 1:28 PM, daddyairplanes said:

thank you everyone who contributed in the Simple Model Request thread, esp thanks to ravenclaw_007 (he did do the model work)

img00031.thumb.JPG.ef004c65043c0f57ca86f552345b97ff.JPG

now just gotta wrap them AlphaJets up and do the fun parts: ini edits, loading screens etc

looking forward to flying these Vipers....they look amazing!

Gott segne unsere deutschen Modder :lol:

decalling Florian's Alphajet, and all his meshnames are in German. so today i learned that heck is also tail auf deutsch.

for a moment i thought i was placing the decal down with Phil the Prince of Insufficient Light........

heck.thumb.jpg.0b2dfa13a1d670f18975a1a6722642d2.jpg

• Like 1

The phinal chapter is awaiting approval

6702dcd8de515_1title.thumb.JPG.2bb2b10bb6bf3dabe11fa6bdb8552845.JPG

there one more story to tell for the Photo Phantom, but it is part of a whole wings tale, not just the Phantom.

Huge, huge thanks to @Sundowner, i merely asked if teh old aircraft had been updated from Gen 1 to 2 a few months back. instead he let me run wild with a wholly revamped model and many more features than a simple ini edit of the Gen 1 birds would entail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As per your What If picture, Ukraine has them deployed already. The camo isn't the same, it uses the old USAF color scheme, but as far as I know Ukraine has them fighting right now.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, EricJ said:

As per your What If picture, Ukraine has them deployed already. The camo isn't the same, it uses the old USAF color scheme, but as far as I know Ukraine has them fighting right now.

i know that. but they recieved around 6, and already lost one with pilot. and the pipeline wont shoot more in very quickly

but what if Top Aces had their DoD and NATO aggressor contracts cancelled, but were immediately awarded contracts to provide training "and other services" to UkAF?

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 1

Just now, daddyairplanes said:

i know that. but they recieved around 6, and already lost one with pilot.

but what if Top Aces had their DoD and NATO aggressor contracts cancelled, but were immediately awarded contracts to provide training "and other services" to UkAF?

Plausible, but I doubt they'd be in UkrAF colors though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

historic legal precedent.

thediplomat_2021-07-30-11.jpg.ee6feb7c8d6db2c964eeadb6f1769905.jpg

while called the "American Volunteer Group" they were legally a Chinese Air Force formation until after America got into the war.

an "International Volunteer Group" would also fly in Ukrainian colors, even if not a single pilot was Ukrainian. given the need to get airframes in theater quickest, theyd paint over the US registration, Top Aces and red star markings, but leave it in Israeli camo.

Edited by daddyairplanes

Ahh I see where you're going with it. Maybe, but I doubt that they would be able to carry weapons. I mean we are talking about a PMC with air-to-air ordnance. And while I'm sure they'd get the approval, that to me at least seems a bit far fetched. They'd probably have to retrofit the birds first though.

• Like 1

several of them can already, Draken got in trouble with incidents with live round French AAMs in Florida a couple years back

i'm aiming to practice KISS with this, so basic weapons on air to ground. older Winders and AMRAAMs (as thats what we're giving Ukraine anyhow). no gun (to long to reinstall and certify).  IAI may or may not help with the mission computers to convert back from aggressor to full combat aircraft :wink:

but most importantly, experienced pilots. the loss they had so far is widely believed to be a a case of reverting to Soviet style flying in a Western jet. the contractors wouldnt have that issue, and would most likely have several thousand hours each in the jet with only a basic course on teh specifics of this Viper

and as i found out the tail says, experience matters

• Like 1

Fair enough

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

At the risk of hijacking the thread, and apologies in advance Kevin, but this would make a great idea for an 80's style all-action TV series called 'Top Aces!'

Each week our Top Aces heroes are deployed to a different country, ostensibly to help with training or advisory to the host nation, act as aggressors in an exercise, or some other excuse. In reality, of course, they're there to carry out a super secret covert op for the US.

Missions could be set in real world locations, or fictional countries (bonus points for identiying where the countries are from):

• A strike on a nuclear facility in the Middle Eastern Empire of Paran ;)
  • A raid to capture a drugs baron in the Central American country, Val Verde
  • Bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri, flying from Drambuie on the Barbary Coast
  • Stopping a coup in the Central African kingdom of Zamunda
  • Extracting an Agency asset from Agrabah, east of the Euphrates
  • Helping to stem an invasion of the Central European nation of Florin by neighbouring Guilder
  • Taking out a terrorist camp in the African republic of Zangaro 

With a main cast of impossibly good looking US and international (well someone has to fly the Alphas and Mirages) male and female actors as the former military Top Aces pilots, each with their own characters and back story of why they're ex-military to be explored in future episodes.

Plus a trope-fest of a supporting cast:

• The crusty retired general who commands them (is Dale Dye available?)
  • The suitably geeky WSO who's a whizz at electronics and, with the sexy female scientist on loan from DARPA, usually comes up with the weekly tech solution to get the mission over the line
  • The mysterious 'Agency' contact who hands out the mission each week, with an attractive aide/pilot/driver/bodyguard.
  • Or maybe as a nod to the classics like Mission: Impossible and Charlie's Angels we don't get to see the Agency contact as the missions are always briefed on a Zoom call where the contact's camera is always off, with the catchphrase: 'I'm sharing my screen now, can everyone see it OK?'
  • The pilot of the C-130 for logistical support, is a trucker, like Snowman from Smokey and the Bandit
  • I'm sure you can come up with others...

The real Top Aces has a huge variety of aircraft, including their Blue Air fleet Top Aces - Wikipedia, so there will be great opportunitites to showcase the different planes and helicopters iin action.

Of course there will be the usual trope of re-using the flight footage from the pilot show, and if push comes to shove, because of the Israeli camo on the Top Aces F-16s, we can also use footage from Iron Eagle, like everyone else making an aviation movie in the 1980s & 90s has!

Think of the spin-offs - book and comics series, flight sim games, a kids animated show - and in 30 years, it can be remade as a big budget movie that will either spawn a new franchise or sink without a trace at the box office.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Normal service is resumed.

Edited by allenjb42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

part one's out, part two coming in two hours

670c2eb8c3bc2_1title.thumb.jpg.781887dad60cd58b0db3c4f8a251c7c2.jpg

no really. gotta pause and make dinner first.......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

on to the next project. been on pause since ..... April?!?!

owls.thumb.jpg.f9e634345c9938d870f5a4a7a04f43d1.jpg

using a stand in model atm

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 4