Hi Everyone,

I hope that all is well with you. I have an issue with helicopter takeoffs. Whenever I fly a helicopter, it takes off horizontally like a plane instead of vertically. Do you guys know how this issue can be resolved? Thanks a lot. 

It can't because the game doesn't really support helicopters. What you get is what you get. Unless a miracle happens and helos are supported, they will take off like that.

I've often wondered if thrust vectoring could be used to simulate a chopper. I can't believe I'm the first one to think of this. I just don't know enough about SF2 flight models to say for sure. Might be a retirement project for next year. :)

It does feel like some choppers I've downloaded seem to do better than others. People make it sound like the YAP team or the A Team might have some secrets used for their helos.

• Like 1

Helicopter take offs in Afghanistan were often made with a short take off run. Especially under hot and high conditions.

• Like 1

A helicopter can take off vertically, but landing is not. AI i mean. Almost always the helicopter either circles around the airfield or crashes. I’m too lazy to write examples now, and some hellicopters are forbiden here anyway for example Capun's, YAP's ones but if you want to experiment yourself, try here:

[FlightControl]

[AIData]

If you have these helicopters use them as an example, some of them takes off bery nice, if you haven't than just do intuitive trying. But I repeat that I was not able to land AI helicopter. The player himself easily lands and takes off.

Useles work. Take it as it is.

Edited by bazillius

There's a legit Apache here, so there's that.

Yes! And the most important thing! I forgot to say that we have two helicopter experts. They are yakarov79 and Guuruu

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EricJ said:

There's a legit Apache here, so there's that.

it need fixing. Better to check yakarov79's Cobras and Guuruu's Mils

• Like 3

I've only 1 fan here with my latest FM. Rest stayed on second PC in Norway;-)

Ofc you must use thrust vectoring for vertical TO and landing.

AH-64A.7z

• Like 7

On 3.11.2023 at 10:51 PM, bazillius said:

But I repeat that I was not able to land AI helicopter

Try my Apache ;-) And yes, AI landings are the hardest part of FM. AI must correct land with 2 conditions. No load, low fuel and Max load , max fuel .

And it is problem to find compromise beetween AI TO and landing ....

Edited by guuruu
  • Like 1

BTW ... add to soundlist

SoundFileXXX=RotorAH64

[RotorAH64]
Priority=NORMAL
3DSound=TRUE
DopplerEffect=TRUE
Looped=TRUE
FrequencyControl=TRUE
NumBuffers=3
MaxDist=2000.000000
MinDist=100.000000
InsideConeAngle=10
OutsideConeAngle=160
ConeOutsideVolume=55

RotorAH64.7z

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It was in so many parts cause I haven't my helicopters folder here :smile:, so just checked AH-64 DATA to know what is needed :smile:.

BTW ... I'll be very grateful for any opinions about FM ... as Eric said, this game isn't dedicated for helicopters and I must to use lot of tricks to make FM acteptable ...

So any bug you can find is very valuable for me.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:56 PM, Falcon1364 said:

Hi Everyone,

I hope that all is well with you. I have an issue with helicopter takeoffs. Whenever I fly a helicopter, it takes off horizontally like a plane instead of vertically. Do you guys know how this issue can be resolved? Thanks a lot. 

Think it this way: SF1 and SF2 are flight jets simulators. These games were designed with no support for anything else flying but them (jets). However modders here , like some pasionate car mechanics, who know their way in a garage to set up a car and make wonders, the same here, they begun to build up from whatever "parts" they had , something new, helos. These modders are usually scarce here around but they ...ARE and that's all you need to know. If you will dig through archives (download section) you might come across some jewels. Once you learned how to sit in the saddle with them, you will enjoy them a lot. Well...depending what a lot means to you LOL

Good luck and don't be a stranger ;)

• Haha 1

Indeed, we're lucky that TK at a point in the past added support for prop jobs.

back on topic, I thought this thread was about over-protective, "hovering" parents!!! :haha:

I'll show myself out ....

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Wrench said:

we're lucky that TK at a point in the past added support for prop jobs.

Yup :smile:. Props and thrust vectoring did helos FM possible. However game has serious problem with earodynamic around 0 speed and this is the hardest point to solve.

Anyway it is possible to do correct helo FM with some (not so big) limitations. Another thing is damage model that you can loose you turbine and still can land using autorotation or just going down when you loose rotor. It should be possible with my FM, however it is very hard to test these situations.

• Like 1

In fact, everyone is right that the simulator is designed to fly airplanes, not helicopters, but vertical takeoff and landing is possible thanks to the existence of the harrier, so maybe the answer is too strict, come on, maybe The guy doesn't expect to simulate Enemy Engage, maybe only you just want to take off and land, which can be done by simply skillfully operating thrust vectoring, you can: up, down, come and go, float...It cannot be rotated correctly or moved from one side to the other.

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Like 4

a couple more pennies on my part....

almost any helicopter in here can be flown...... WITH PRACTICE (stomps feet).......... by the player

where things get wonky quick, and why we dont see as much helo work in game is the AI wingmen. that is the biggest hiccup for helo in game and its not just a matter of duplicating the Harrier FM

i mean if you wanted to put the time and ini work into it you could make the tanks on the ground player "flyable", right down to driving from a pit. but the AI tanks would all then do some bat$#!^ crazy stuff.......

• Like 2

Now it should be complete test set, with everything I've for Apache :smile: ....

Apache_FM.7z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Pretty neat guruu

• Thanks 1

And AI :smile:.... Aaaaand yes, I know , I'm not Spielberg ;-)

Edited by guuruu
  • Like 5

That's awesome guruu. So whenever I use a wingnut, I can have the confidence that he'll actually fly right.

• Thanks 1

BTW, Apache 125 gals and 230 gals tanks ...

125.thumb.jpg.13d192e443c8721d141eb13061c98da8.jpg

230.thumb.jpg.fda95a90db8df91fbea83b1f80a78425.jpg

• Like 7