Sign in to follow this  
column5

SF2: Tomcat Speculation

Hmm...

http://bbs.thirdwire...?p=48180#p48180

Right, who hasn't got the XP1 yet??? :diablo:

That blows. Sales werent great so now the other expansion packs are going to suffer. Dirt cheap sims. Would be nice if more people would buy more so he could add more. People then bitch about missing features etc etc and this is why some do not make it at all. The "Old Guard" still holding onto the 1st Gen series would help TK out greatly if they would upgrade. Well what can you do? I think I will buy a couple extra from him just to get some more cash to him then give the extra's away as gifts. :dntknw:

A demo could help spreading the word a lot.

A demo could help spreading the word a lot.

I can bet since he doesnt have the resources to let us pick specific pilots skins per plane/squadron, he sure doesnt have it to make a demo either.

Yeah it is a downer... :this: Even though I download most of the site... I still like the playability of the Sims out of the box as well as the add-ons...

Well that's just fantastic. I'm not exactly happy with the features we have now as it is, for years I've kept buying each and every game TK releases usually on the day it comes out just to keep contributing on the off chance that one day, one day, in the far distant future, TK actually gets to implementing the features that would make a DIANE possible for the A-6 for example. This news, and the likelihood that the next couple of dozen titles/expansion are going back to Korea, post war Europe, hint that the apogee of the whole series will end up in the Second World War. Great if that's your thing, but me, I came along the ride for the Cold War jets which for me meant state of the art precision platforms as opposed to precision munitions. From day one, I was hoping for a TK F-111, a working A-6, a more detailed use of the F-4 ground radar, and now it looks like I'll never get to see any of that, ever. Damn this sucks! But come release day, I'll be there, hopefully. I just hope there will be some new features, like removing the call for help option from the radio menu, I've no idea how hard it is to remove one line from the radio menu as opposed to make it work in the game but it would definitely be less grating not to have something there at all than to have something that doesn't work, left there for no apparent reason, in that sense less features may not be the end of the world after all.

I only play stock aircraft, and the only mods to my FE2 and SF2E are terrains. So in theory, my options are limited. Yet, I simple have no desire for the SF2I or SF2V setting. I did buy FE2 even though I have FEG... but there must be a better way to help TK out? I'd be more than happy to hand out a few SF2E copies as gift to my friends, but that's there the lack of a boxed release really sucks - selling self-burned digital downloads on disk just doesn't make too much of a nice present.

It's a shame you only play stock aircraft. You are missing out on the nexus of the sim. I'm curious why people don't add some of the 3rd party planes. It's like it some sort of badge of honor because one doesnt. :dntknw:

Indeed.

Helmut, think of one (1) extra airplane -- even just AI -- that you would like to see in your game. Say for example, Yak-28 bomber for Wings Over Europe would be a core addition for Red Air, or AI C-141 as random traffic (I don't know if the campaigns do this).

Then, if you enjoy it you will see the need for more and more 3rd Party stuff, and end up downloading half the internet like I did. That's how I got started. :grin:

It's a shame you only play stock aircraft. You are missing out on the nexus of the sim. I'm curious why people don't add some of the 3rd party planes. It's like it some sort of badge of honor because one doesnt. :dntknw:

OT, but - I agree. The thing is, there is no longer a need to tediously download one thing at a time like there used to be. For SF2E, for example, download NF4+ (back up your old mod folder, just in case you don't fall in love with it...), and install it. That'll give you almost anything you could for SF2E with 4 simple drag and drops.

Then, once you're hooked on 3rd party add-ons, you start adding things one at time and download half the internet like Lexx and I did. :grin:

OT, but - I agree. The thing is, there is no longer a need to tediously download one thing at a time like there used to be. For SF2E, for example, download NF4+ (back up your old mod folder, just in case you don't fall in love with it...), and install it. That'll give you almost anything you could for SF2E with 4 simple drag and drops.

Then, once you're hooked on 3rd party add-ons, you start adding things one at time and download half the internet like Lexx and I did. :grin:

By the way (little OT here) I am testing the first fix pack for NF4+ to get it post Dec 2009 standards. (an eburger68 production)

By the way (little OT here) I am testing the first fix pack for NF4+ to get it post Dec 2009 standards. (an eburger68 production)

thanks dave. i just pooped myself. and thats not good for a cook wearing white.

seriously thats kicka$$ news.

You may not care about the terrain in a given title, but each has aircraft unique to it. SF2I gives you the F-16 for example.

Dave thats just made my day... as I that mod truly rocks... :drinks:

Well, I actually helped beta-test the NF4+ addon (as you know) so it's not like I didn't try it. To me, the problem is - and I say that without any intent to insult any of the modders offering so much time - that the quality difference between stock aircraft (cockpits especially) and addons is sometimes just too large for me to keep the immersion up. This is understandable, seeing that people are working on them in their free time. But it doesn't help me enjoy the game. Also, as we are all aware I think, FM design is a bit of a dark art, so unavoidable, a large bunch of addon aircraft from different people will not usually perform "by the book" compared with each other.

I know that some AC in NF4+ have pretty awesome pits (Fiat G.91 I remember) and I wouldn't mind some more varied AI opposition. But the entire download is too large for my liking (I'm on a limited 128GB Solid State Drive - super fast, but pricey for each GB). And filtering trough individual addons, adding them in the campaign data files... it gets too tiresome.

I'm not saying this to insult the modders hard work or to carry a "badge of honor" - for me, it's simple important to have a "smooth package" that fits together. Playing Stock Aircraft, this is the case. I first tried modding with FEG, and the first thing I downloaded was a Nieuport 17 that outclimbed my Fokker DVII. Simple that wasn't what I was looking for.

That said, JediMaster gives me an idea - is it possible to export/import SF2I F-16 and maybe Mirage III to SF2E in the 1979 campaign, to give me some more "Stock quality" aircraft choice? With appropriate US and French Skins these wound round out the 1979 campaign nicely (if being a slight stretch as the first Vipers only became operational in 1980)...

I don't want SF2I merged install or anything - the conflict simple doesn't interest me. But these two AC would be worth my 20 bucks.

Then with a 128 GB HD I can understand, however I can give you a list of quality addons that are small and will not kill your HD and your immersion. With SF2 series its easier to install thus not accidentally killing your install. In other words, let me be your guide and I promise you, I will not stear you wrong. You tell me what you have been interested in and I can let you know if its good or not.

Epic FM failures are not limited to mods. There was a time when TK's MiG-19S couldn't go supersonic clean at high altitude. The 3rd Party B-47E could out run it. Because of my strategic operations interest, I wouldn't have bought this game without the support of mods like B-47. To use them in my campaign, I'll have to make many changes, as I'll have to do with all Thudwire aircraft. The one thing I can't do, is make 3D models. :salute: (and terrain tiles, just can't do it)

Helmut::

the quality difference between stock aircraft (cockpits especially) and addons is sometimes just too large for me to keep the immersion up.

:grin: :grin: That's because C5 doesn't want you flying Mirage Factory MiG-21 or Boopidoos' Su-15 Red cockpits in the Nato Fighters campaign, and considering how far back they go, these cockpits are exceptionally nice.

Shucks, because the Cold War era has never been done before on a large scale, "quality" is defined as just being in the Cold War era. The Forgotten Battle's MiG-3 cockpit got alot of flack from FB players. But Oleg's MiG-3 cockpit was, by far, the highest quality cockpit in that game, even today with the latest addons from the Moscow Bureau, because MiG-3 is my all time fave WW2 airplane. :good:

That's a generous offer Dave. For starters, I'm really looking into what it would require to add the SF2I Viper to the 1979 campaign - that way, TK gets some money from me too.

I'll open a separate thread, not to derange this further...

Edited by Helmut_AUT

I find that NF4+ as a whole is pure quality. From the ûber hard campaigns to the massive amount of aircraft to fly. Pure quality!