About This File
Gripen NG for the United States – F-39A/B Griffin Blk 1/5
Due to a change in US government policy driven by cost overruns, project delays and negative public (aka voter) opinion the USAF F-35A order is halved. To make up the shortfall a cheaper 4.5 generation aircraft is sought to replace the rest of the F-16 fleet.
New built F-16s are considered but ultimately a license built US specific version of the Gripen NG is chosen. To help offset the loss of the cancelled F-35 order Lockheed Martin is awarded the contract to build the F-39 along with the US specific modifications. The most important of which is full data/ sensor integration and cooperative war fighting with the F-35A fleet.
The USAF designate the US built Gripen the F-39A/B Griffin. The first Block 1 Griffins off the Lockheed Martin production line are identical to the JAS-39E/F and equip CONUS Air National Guard units to replace the F-16 in the air sovereignty role. At the same time Lockheed Martin produce a handful of developmental airframes to integrate the full USAF arsenal of weapons and apply some of the technology from the F-35 program. The probe air-to-air refuelling system is also replaced with a flying boom receptacle. The end result is the F-39A/B Block 5 which is used to replace the F-16 in those USAF units that are not going to be equipped with the F-35A. The Block 5 Griffin is fully compatible with the F-35 and shares the same data link technology. This means Griffin equipped units can be used cost effectively in the low intensity warfare role but when required can be ‘force multiplied’ by the F-35A in a modern battlefield. All Block 1 aircraft will be upgraded to Block 5 standard.
Included in this mod are:
- F-39A Block 1 Griffin
- F-39B Block 1 Griffin
- F-39A Block 5 Griffin
- F-39B Block 5 Griffin
- F-39A Block 5 Griffin Aggressor
- F-39B Block 5 Griffin Aggressor
- 14 different USAF/ANG squadrons
- 22 different skins
To Install simply un pack and drop into your mods folder.
- The Block 1 aircraft have a reduced weapons capability compared the Block 5 as they can only carry the weapons currently cleared on the Jas-39 Gripin (Aim-9M, Aim-120C etc) this is reflected in the loadout.ini.
- The pilot is a re-skinned JHMCS model to look like the Cobra HMD that is integrated with the Gripin (see last screenshot below).
- F-39B Block 5 Aggressor has a cannon even though the two seater doesn’t have one. This is for game play so it will engage you as an aggressor aircraft.
The Viper Team
P.S. I think this is my favorite 'what if' I have ever done! :-)