Sign in to follow this  
Erik

Community Announcement

Site Performance  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Our recent equipment upgrade was due to the high demand of our site's resources by the community. How is the site performing for you today?

• LIGHTENING - Site smokes for me with huge download speeds!
    • FAST - The site and downloads are faster than most sites I visit.
    • AVERAGE - The site response and downloads are average.
    • POOR - The site performance is lacking and the download speeds are horrible.
    • SNAIL - The site crawls and I have many issues.

Yeah, its gonna make the job a little more involved. If someone is going to just spam five posts thats fine, but they are going to have to be a little bit creative. Things like posting the same post in different forums isn't going to work, spreading out one post paragraph over several posts isn't either. If you can't find anything sim related to talk about, I'd suggest heading over to the PUB and have a chat about something else. :good: Its NFL playoff time in the US...there's a topic. There are people from all over the world posting here. It'd be a shame if someone found something in common with someone else from the other side of the planet, wouldn't it? :grin:

Well I guess I need to learn how to do this stuff myself

This was a great site but I think this 5 post is stupid but just my opinon.

Thanks for the great down loads

Well, i guess that everything in life is subject to change and since i've been downloading mods for a while this is not a bad

idea, it's not like i'm giving some classified information or anything of that nature.

As has been said before, it is your forum and you are certainly entitled to do whatever you wish.

I as one of those "lerker" types who is and has always been extremely appreciative of the efforts of all the modders and other contributors to this magnificent effort that SFP1 et al has become am saddened by the closed path the community lately seems to be taking in restriciting downloads to a more select/exclusive group(s).

I have enjoyed the SFP1 family from the beginning but unfortuanately do not have the skills, time (I know we are all time limited) or to be more honest, confidence in the quality/value/information I might deliver to more actively participate. I guess this eliminates me from the group.

I would have thought that one of the goals of the community was to aid, empower, or otherwise help people grow in their understanding and enjoyment of the value of flight simulators and Thirdwire products. I also however, understand and appreciate the modders/contributors and how they should certainly receive accolades for their work. Perhaps I am remiss in that way.

I think this is probably a sad day for the community, especially those of us less skilled or confident.

Well, Here's my take. Everyone has to be a registered member just to download anyway. While I do understant the concept as it applies to the modders I still do disagree with the concept. I painted some carrier based F4U-1D skins for CFS2 a couple of years ago, and personally I found it gratifying just to see how many times my skins were downloaded, and which of them were downloaded the most......that was thanks enough for me. But that's just my opinion, and everyone IS entitled to an opinion.

I'm not buying into the doom and gloom theory proposed by so many.

The fact that our community relies on each of YOU to be healthy and grow is undisputed. Where would YouTube be if no-one uploaded content. You simply can't have all the resources flowing in one direction. If you enjoy the community then you'll do what it takes to make it the number one resource which includes at the very least saying hello to everyone and making a few posts. I mean someone who has been here a year not making one single post or contribution to the site is just odd. You know sharing pictures of your favorite whip or commenting on someone's pictures just doesn't take that long but goes miles in keeping us active and healthy. After all, we do all this for you so you can continue to enjoy your past time and hobby.

I'm just not following the logic in the complaints.

We've tried so many ways to get the community involved, even the current contest of FREE products worth hundreds of dollars. That's just one of three contests we've held in the past few months with very little change in activity.

Offer us some alternatives and we'll gladly listen, but to categorically cast all this doom and gloom makes me wonder why we don't just turn the downloads off.

As I mentioned before we tried some options (read: contests) and thought about other options which included (read: still viable):

Slower download speeds.

Give membership with less than 5 posts dial up speeds.

Give membership with higher than x amount posts unlimited speeds.

Requiring members to post between downloads. (Read more than 5 posts would be required long term)

Capping the download size to x amount per day / week / month per member.

The bottom line is this is your home for downloads, why wouldn't you want to do everything possible to make it number one?

If anyone has a complaint it's the modders who go without so much as a thanks, and us who can't even get our membership to say hello.

--- Hey but if we shut off the downloads, just imagine the feedback we'd get then.

Get involved and help us reach our goal, you've been officially invited.

Regards;

why is everyone so upset over 5 posts..I can make 5 posts,and NOT spam posts in a day.Why not help those who ask questions or maybe ask a few yourself to enhance your flight simming?It's not a hard thing to do.lets see the excuses so far are..gee I don't have time..if we end up slowing downloads then you'll spend more time getting your downloads anyways,I don't think it's fair..ok so just saying Thank you to a modder or answering a question is to much to ask,oh and lets not forget I don't like it..you like getting the mods,why not become part of the community?

% posts for free downloads isn't bad,theres sites where you have to pay to be able to download,and then you'll be spending alot of time going from site to site finding the mods. and add-ons. Here it's free and in one place.

ok so just saying Thank you to a modder

But how can you thank a modder if you can't download his work and see how it's like ? :biggrin:

Don't worry I know the way out ------> []

BTW, as hoarmurath, i don't like it. But, anyway, the limitation is already done so it's not like I have the choice...

Yeah ! One more post ! I can download now !

Edited by maitretomtom

I'm thinking the same...

Hey wait a minute...

I just posted something. Yeehaa, 4 more to go and I have the privilege to download stuff...

C

I' am thinking the same...

We will have a lot lot lot lot stuff to read

Well like Erik said, this site costs money, lots of it to have the amount of bandwidth we have. Its this or we have to start charging. We would rather not turn this into a pay site. So I think its very little to ask to get more community involvement.

Well like Erik said, this site costs money, lots of it to have the amount of bandwidth we have. Its this or we have to start charging. We would rather not turn this into a pay site. So I think its very little to ask to get more community involvement.

Supporting this site because it costs money is something I think we all can understand. As a "newbie" I'm not sure I understand the link between money and number of participating users, but I would certainly support a approach that covers the costs of this very fine and community supporting site. If this is the way then fine. As I said before, for me it is more about "knowledge, skill and confidence" not necessarilly about "time".

Please read the following knowing that my intention and thoughts are always about the membership, the community, and its collective health. Also please understand my reluctance in responding to this thread further. A big THANK YOU to all the supporters and folks who can see that a community like this takes more than just people who join and call themselves members so they have access to free "everything". To all the others here are my closing thoughts.

---

I've re-read all my posts and can't find anywhere I said anything about or eluded to money. I simply can't find those references.

What I did say is:

• The site benefits from a member's activity.
  • Each post that is made and is picked up by a search engine like google makes us stronger on the net.
  • As our knowledge base grows from members questions and interaction so does the strength of our site.
  • A community that interacts and plays together is stronger more vibrant and fluid.
  • The more our site gains interest and popularity the more we're willing to support it through faster downloads, more downloads, more features. etc.
  • Modders are more likely to interact and participate in a site that is active and shows professional support for their endeavors.
  • We've begged folks to get involved with give-aways, contests, and the like with little activity to show for it.
  • We ask for something from the membership and they complain, say it's stupid, and overall let us know we're foolish.
  • When our membership asked for a better, faster, cleaner place I can't remember us calling them idiots.
  • Members that participate in our community should be rewarded with access and features.
  • Members that don't should be restricted from full use of our resources.
  • It's a give and take relationship.

There's much much more that goes along with the big picture than just the above. I'm also confident that each of you reading this can understand why I even care enough to be bothered with seeking support for such ideas. If you folks can't or won't see it because 5 posts is way too much to ask for, then you'll just have to live with the outcome.

I've removed the 5 post minimum.

Our next moderation won't be announced and you won't have a voice in the decision. Before today many of you never had a voice anyway so I'm sure it won't matter. If you're one of the "active" members in our community I applaud you and give you the green light ops go on all those that would otherwise take that away from you.

I'm deeply saddened by the "use it loose it" view point shared in all this. I suppose it was a good learning experience and not a total loss.

Here's wishing you all the best.

Erik Thompson

CombatACE.com

Supporting this site because it costs money is something I think we all can understand. As a "newbie" I'm not sure I understand the link between money and number of participating users, but I would certainly support a approach that covers the costs of this very fine and community supporting site. If this is the way then fine. As I said before, for me it is more about "knowledge, skill and confidence" not necessarilly about "time".

Hey if people want to continue using this site then they shouldn't have an issue with paying a small fee for the chance to access content, I for one would pay a membership fee to keep the site going.

Gartht63

Edited by gartht63

Erik,

I hope you haven't been disheartened by any negative responses regarding the 5 post rule. Persoanlly, I think it's a small (very small) price to pay for access to all of the wonderful content available. I wasn't an active poster until recently, but since I've started checking the forum and leaving a bit of intput, I've found that I'm learning more about the game, and just generally having fun. Should you enact any other requirements in the future (ads, minimum requirements, etc.) you have my full support. I can't think of any other situation were a person can get so much quality stuff for free. Keep up the great work!

Does this now mean that people like myself, are limited to only posting?

Because i am trying to DL some stuff for the falklands and i keep getting kicked off and having to login all the time.

I for one have no probs with the 5 post thing. If you are a true fan of the games here then you should appreciate whats done and not take it for granted. I have created a few little off spins of some campaigns, but these are easily done by anyone.

But if i haven't met some requirement to DL some gear, then i would like to know what i have to do to continue using this site.

I check here almost everyday.

cheers, jase

NO, It does not mean that at all.

Sounds like a browser and cookie setting issue to me. What browser are you using? Do you allow cookies from our site.

I'd recommend FireFox and allowing us to set cookies, or you won't be able to stay logged in for more than one page without cookies.

Regards;

Erik

I've been reading all this with some interest since I was told I needed to post 5 times before my next download. My first reaction was for me predictable. I don't like being told what to do, by anybody. Then I thought about it. Seemed a reasonable price to pay, 5 posts.

I forget when I joined. I've re-registered here over and over, hunted down lost pass-words again and again. No idea why I've had to. I always thought it was because I was an idiot...anyway, the point is I check in here everyday. Not just for downloads, but to see what's going on out in Sim-Land. Tips, rumors, hints, all that stuff. I've d/led everything I can get my hands on for the sims I fly, with great appreciation for the effort they must take. I have no idea where you'd start with to make a wing...What I'm trying to say is thanks guys.

Crapgame

ive been a member since jeff started bio.i remember when he hit 100 members.now its 18000 strong!ive never posted anything in all these years.dont have alot of time.typing with one finger takes all day.i really figured you guys had enough to do without haveing to wade through 80000 posts.i know the modders out there do this for fun and not for recognition,but thanks to all!things are changing, with the a-team going semi private,alot of new names out there doing the work.dueces where are you?Fe needs a new terrain!the nurse hasent pulled the plug yet!to us,eric,and the rest youve done a great job since youve taken over!i for one would not mind paying for the services here.you guys must have some very understanding wives and family!there ive made my first post maybe in a mounth i can download again. raven out!

I want to thank Erik for reconsidering on the post allotment.

I also want to add my thanks for all the work he and the CA team do to provide this forum and post/download service day in amd day out. It is a huge boon to the whole community. As for myself I will attempt to overcome my timidity and participate more actively/often in the community, I didn't realize it was that important. Since I have some rudimentary skill in creating SFP1 missions perhaps I can even build the courage to develop and post a few that I think might meet the high community standards. At any rate thanks to the CA team and all the modders and develpers that make the SFP1 family of games so enjoyable.

Just a Thanks for a FREE download,is a post. That is not Hard! :good:

I have to respect the goal of the moderators: get more participation on this site. Was the plan of "5 posts to download" effective? I don't know-it sure got a lot of responses. I for one feel a bit guilty for freeloading and I tried to say something interesting in my 5 posts. Have you thought of having a "contribution" button like SubSim and some sites have? It might be good to let us help support the site and show some appreciation for all that has been given to us-I like one site's button that shows a running total of contributions so you can see how cheap or not the members are and maybe be inspired to help out a little.

I guess we'll have to go back to the original ideas.

1. Charging for downloads.

2. Filling the site with hundreds of nonsense ads.

3. Forcing you to view ads before downloading.

4. Limiting your download speeds.

5. Capping your bandwidth total per day.

lets not go over board love the site love the info and have enjoyed all the downloads even the ones that drove me nut plus helped me get to know the ins and outs of programing i say be a member and complain to your wives and girlfriend peace D(Kansas coyote).