Sign in to follow this  
FOTF

Whatcha building right now?

Just a super steady hand, some dry brushing and a fine tip Sharpie pen.

Undercoat the panels grey, use a fine brush for the black parts and then dry brush (dip your brush into the paint and then wipe it almost dry into a paper towel. Then lightly brush it across the panel and the small amount of paint will show up on the raised details) the dials white. I added white for the artificial horizon and then filled it in with a fine tip sharpie pen. Same thing for the ejection handles....brushed yellow and added the black stripes with the sharpie

Man, I am on a huge big scale kick lately....I have the couple of 32nd scale Skyhawks and I just picked up a 32nd scale F-14 and F-16.....I want to grab one of those big scale Hornets by Academy next...and if I am lucky, a Trumpeter A-7E....love the detail you get with a 32nd scale

I have a big scale B-1 that I may be interested in selling. It's way too much for me at the moment, and although I'd love to complete it, I dont' think I'd do it justice and I'd rather start out small and rebuild my skills. I'm also pretty deep into this saltwater aquarium hobby, and it's taking alot of my time and pocketbook. I don't even have any glue, paint, brushes, etc...etc... to start. If your interested, let me know.

Mike

a 32nd scale Bone?

Are you serious?

Wow....what are the dimensions on that thing?

It's probably the 1/48 Revell/Monogram. A real beotch to build but a true stunner on the shelf.

I had a 1/72 Bone and an 1/72 B-52D and those things took up way too much room as it was!

Here's the cockpit of a 32nd scale Tomcat I just started

bigscale_tomcat.jpg

bigscale_tomcat_1.jpg

Did you finish the Skyhawk? The Tomcat pit is INSANE!!! All those little dials and what not, all painted.

I just finished a 1/72 P-47D and a A6M5c. Both were academy kits and cost around $4 each. What ever happened to molding pilots with the models? Thats one thing that left me upset. The P-47 is a bubble top and no pilot comes with it! On the other hand, i chose to do a natural metal Thunderbolt. I hand brushed Testors Aluminum all over it and it actually looks half decent.

I got kinda burned out on the Skyhawk, so I stuck it on the shelf for a bit.....and have been doing bits and pieces on it....It's actually getting pretty close to being ready for some paint.

72nd scale pilots would be way too small. most 48th scale models come with a driver.

I wish that Tomcat did, a pilot and RIO would look awesome sitting in that office

1/72 pilots aren't that hard to make. I look back at all the older 1/72 molds out there and i see pilots! A lot of older airfix kits have them. Maybe its a new thing not to include pilots.

I saw a 1/48 CH-53 yesterday, that thing is a monster!

Well, I totally screwed the pooch with my A-4. Had to send it to the spares box. :cray:

I did manage to finish a 1/72 F-100D in SEA camo, though. Not pleased with the weathering, but at least I finished it.

About to finish a Spitfire Mk.IX...looks nice. Nothing fancy, but for some reason after screwing up a few, it makes me feel better! :biggrin:

I might post a pic of that one.

And your cockpits look awesome Paul! Don'tcha just love dry brushing? Such a simple technique that makes a world of difference.

yeah....dry brushing is a great thing!

I just wish the rest of my modeling skills would catch up with my cockpits!

Picture-001.jpg

Well, here it is...nothing fantastic, but I like it. It's the Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX...painted in quasi-accurate No 331 Sqn colors.

Had some silvering with the decals...not sure why...I "futured" the whole thing and used solvaset. Some decals are just picky.

wow....that looks good man. real good.

I use microset/microsol, and I get pretty good results.

Acutally, I shouldn't say that....cause I am decaling my latest build and I know I am going to jinx myself!

I wish I saw this before...

Anyway here is my list:

F/A-18E Super Hornet by Revell useing some parts off a Revell F/A-18A.

Eastern Express MiG-21R whos instrustions are in Cyrillic!

Italeri MiG-23, X-32, RAH-66

Lindberg HMS Hood

I also have an Italeri F-100 who looks like it was shot down in Vietnam after it fell off a stool.

wow....that looks good man. real good.

I use microset/microsol, and I get pretty good results.

Acutally, I shouldn't say that....cause I am decaling my latest build and I know I am going to jinx myself!

Paul,

Gave up plastic modelling some time ago, but I have two or three storage boxes of old kits. Want them?

Jug

Well, I'm now embarking on a new endeavour for me. Scribing panel lines. I picked up the Revell 1/72 Tornado F.3 and was appalled at the panels. Recessed, but horrible and incorrect. And the fuselage is split in such a way that cleaning up the seam will destroy the lines anyway. Sooooo...I'm gonna try my hand and scribing. Always been amazed at the guys who re-scribe entire kits. I tried it a few times, but always screwed up. Gonna try a different technique this time. Called patience... :biggrin:

Yeah....I just started scribing too.

I am rescibing a Revellogram 1/48th F-14.

The secret is Dymo Tape. It's nice and thick and makes an excellent guide for your pin vise. I also went out and bought a scribing tool from Squadron....run over your line with the pinvise a couple times to make a nice groove, then come in with the scribing tool....cleans out that extra plastic and leaves a nice recessed line. I love it.

Here's my latest completed project....

1/48th Academy F-14A Tomcat (modified to B standards)....

Tomcat_10.jpg

Tomcat_12.jpg

Tomcat_13.jpg

Tomcat_11.jpg

I'm building a 1/72 F-117 Italeri. It's my first model... I hope to it have a good result!

I'm building a 1/72 F-117 Italeri. It's my first model... I hope to it have a good result!

How's it coming? Let's see some pics!

This thread needs some activity. So, I present to you my fist ever finished model kit: an Eastern Airlines DC-3. (You can kinda see a WiP MiG-21 in the background)

EDIT: I forgot to add: I hate decals.

post-24739-1212525708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longestpants

I'm just messing with this, trying to get the hand of modelling.

Points to anyone who can guess where the colour scheme is from

post-24797-1212532188_thumb.jpg

Paul,

Gave up plastic modelling some time ago, but I have two or three storage boxes of old kits. Want them?

Jug

Heh, sounds like me there Jug. I've got 3 LARGE boxes of model kits...

So many kits...so little time...some true treasures too...

FastCargo