Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

Which Sci-Fi film would you like to see made ?

I'd love Joe Haldeman's The Forever War to be done. If done properly it would be an outstanding film.

Starship Troopers...the right way! Powered armor....mmmm...powered armor.

My wife would love Moon is a Harsh Mistress...

But both of us...Footfall, no question. Can you imagine the SFX of an Orion lifting off of California?

FastCargo

Battletech is a great potential, as well other mecha universes, like Macross (live-action though), Heavy Gear, or EarthSiege... Book-wise, wouldn't mind seeing a movie based on Peter F. Hamilton's works Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained...

Edit: Oh, and I'm still waiting for someone to make a film of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash - it will be cheesy for sure, but heck - could even be done as a machinima... just anything!!! It's a classic!

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Forever War would be good.

I think it's in progress but "Rendevous with Rama" has been on my list for a while.

"Ringworld" by Larry Niven comes to mind.

It could be a bi*ch to do but Roger Zelazny's "Amber" series would be interesting to see.

Wow yeah, Footfall ! :biggrin:

Micheal versus the Digit ships, Fithp warriors paragliding into Kansas...FC you're right, that would be awesome! One of my favourite books.

I`d like to see a remake of "Bladerunner".....also maybe a new vesion of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" Michael Rennie is still alive I think....lol

They've started filming it already: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/

"Say 'Gort...Keanu...whoa...'"

Blade Runner was an adaptation of Dick's Androids novel, any remake would be VERY different.

As for Rama: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/

That won't be till next year though, apparently. Not sure how the strike might have affected either of these, though.

I think Clarke's "Childhood's End" would have been a great film, but "V" and "Independence Day" have kind of ruined that.

I love Asimov's Foundation series, but I can't see it made into a film easily. The Robot novels, however, hold some promise. "Caves of Steel" would be a great film, and then there are 3 sequel books to follow.

Oh and besides the Battletech realm, in terms of PC games I'd love to see turned into a movie, wouldn't mind seeing the Freespace saga turned into a damn fine movie...

Oh and besides the Battletech realm, in terms of PC games I'd love to see turned into a movie, wouldn't mind seeing the Freespace saga turned into a damn fine movie...

Some years ago, somebody said on HLP he was going to make a FS related movie.

We are still waiting for it :rolleyes:

Though I agree with you, a movie about FreeSpace (especially about the 1st game) would be great.

Put me in for BattleTech and a movie with some semblance of Starship Troopers book...I mean that movie was "in name only"

Oh...and anything with Megan Fox...

The Bug wars... Read it when I was a teenager. I can't be arsed explaining it after a few hours at the pub, so bust it here :smile: :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bug_Wars

It'd prolly have to be a CG job... thing is, I hate CG films.

Freespace and/or Freespace2 would be sweet, so long as they don't let Freddy Prince Jr near it with his kiss 'o death!!

The Directors cut of Bladerunner is as close to a remake that should be done, it's only for those that already know the film though.

As for me, William Gibson's Neuromance is one that I would like to see. Johnny Nemonic was taken from his short story of the same name, the story was expanded into Neuromancer. Just keep K Reeves out of it.

I'm for Snow Crash, just read the book, again, it's so read that the pages are creased and the spine is broke.

To make a leap, there was a TV show that was from NZ called "The Tribe" a few years ago, basically it was part Warriors. part Lord of The Flies, and part I Am Ledgend. All with a cast that ranged from about 10 to 17. Funny thing, it worked, and it lasted about five seasons. It would be interesting to see how the pan-demic that wiped out all the adults and set up the story happened or an epilogue a few years after the end of the series.

And my pick from Anime to make live action, RahXephon, that would be a mind bender.

Five words guys:

Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

I know it's Star Wars, but it would still be awesome.

Problem: those actors are a little old now! Plus it predates the prequels and a lot of what happens there is kind of invalidated by them.

BattleTech would be awesome.....however, I'll choose a few old-school

Star Frontiers, Star Blazers, or Palladium's Rift.

Hm.... how about a remake of Dune or Mad Max.

F.E.A.R., Quake, and Half Life would make good sci-fi thrillers.

Love the FS (Freddy Prince Jr killed WC, and that was a great game when it came out) and Battletech idea... maybe Mech Warrior. However, I think FS would be more suited for televised production instead of film.

So... anyone know if Peter Jackson is going to get this Halo movie underway?

How about Dune? It's being done. Er, re-done. A film and a miniseries weren't enough, so they're starting over.

Paramount Adapting Dune Again

Peter Berg is attached to direct another big-screen adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic SF novel Dune for Paramount Pictures, Variety reported.

Kevin Misher, who spent the past year obtaining the book rights from the Herbert estate, will produce.

Herbert's 1965 novel is a sweeping, futuristic tale set on the remote desert planet Arrakis, which is the interstellar empire's sole source of the spice Melange, which causes immortality and facilitates space travel.

The beloved book, which is the first in a series of novels, also spawned David Lynch's 1984 film and SCI FI Channel's 2000 miniseries, starring William Hurt.

The Berg Dune is now seeking writers, with the producers looking for a faithful adaptation of the Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book.

New Amsterdam's Richard Rubenstein, who produced SCI FI's Dune and its sequel, Children of Dune, is also producing alongside Sarah Aubrey of Film 44, Berg's production banner. John Harrison and Mike Messina executive-produce.

Also:

Short Circuit Is Alive

Dimension Films has acquired remake rights to the 1986 SF comedy film Short Circuit, about Number 5, a military robot that develops a conscience and personality after being hit by lightning, Variety reported.

S.S. Wilson and Brent Maddock, who created the characters and wrote both Short Circuit films, have been hired to write the remake. David Foster and Ryan E. Heppe will produce with John Hyde.

The deal was made by Dimension co-chairman Bob Weinstein, who called Short Circuit a worthy addition to its family film slate.

I'd love to see Half-Life and Deus Ex as movies.

There was supposedly a deal for Deus Ex a while ago, but haven't heard anything since a single PCGamer article.

I've never seen the 80's movie but I've seen the TV movie that was made later, as well as the sequel trilogy covering the Dune Messiah and Children of Dune novels, those were nice. I don't think it can be done any better...

As for a movie of Half-Life, I would only accept it if it as well would be entirely from the 1st person perspective (now THAT would be inovative), and with Gordon Freeman, as silent as in the games...

Basically, putting the audience once again in the skin of the orange-suited crowbar-wielding scientist...

Starship Troopers...the right way! Powered armor....mmmm...powered armor.

Word on that.

I would love Homeworld - The first Game.

Word on that.

I would love Homeworld - The first Game.

You couldn't do it as a movie...it's too epic...

A miniseries would work though...

FastCargo

Looks like Blade Runner will have a 25th anniversary edition rolling in theaters...