Sign in to follow this  
column5

Wings Over Israel [Official Thread]

yeh, i know.

i'm tryin ta see if it shows aces in other squadrons too....

but CHECK THIS OUT!

It Shows the wingmen's kills on the aircraft too!!!!!!!!

Edited by SidDogg

Yep, if all these little extra's we are getting in WoI are included in the new patches (cough cough) for WoV\WoE then the bar will certainly have been raised !

Oh, pardon my ignorance...but are the aircraft with the all-green roundels Iraqi or Libyan ??

Should be Libya, Iraq has some weird triangle thingy.

Standing by to be flamed with the proper description of the weird triangle thingy.

Libya defo had an all green roundel

Iraq has a Green triangle on some of their birds of that era (ie TU-22)

Seems not "lite" anymore :victory:

Yep, if all these little extra's we are getting in WoI are included in the new patches (cough cough) for WoV\WoE then the bar will certainly have been raised !

Oh, pardon my ignorance...but are the aircraft with the all-green roundels Iraqi or Libyan ??

Triangle with a sort of thing inside is Irak.

Green roundel is libya, after 1977. Before that, Libyan arabe air force had quite the same roundel as egypt, before that Royal Libyan Air force had something like black-green-red roundel.

Of course it doesn't matter when it is painted on a burnt piece of ex-MiG laying in the desert baking in the noonday sun. :diablo:

Of course it doesn't matter when it is painted on a burnt piece of ex-MiG laying in the desert baking in the noonday sun. :diablo:

I do personnaly like to know on who I'm about to shoot my Defa guns. :biggrin:

Will any Static update will be brought to WOE

i mean thats all i want the power to strafe enemy air craft at an airfield.

Will any Static update will be brought to WOE

i mean thats all i want the power to strafe enemy air craft at an airfield.

So say we all!

I guess TK will do it just like he did it before, for older games. Let's wait.

Learned to kill and not get killed in Mirage a little :blink:

After missing all his shots Mig-17 ran away from me and I could swear he went for cloud cover. Didn't go higher or lower - just hid on cloud level so I had to track him with radar and looking for exhaust trail. After a while he did a sharp turn and radar lost him but at the same time we flew into a huge gap in clouds so I could get a visual lock. Cannon did its job then. That was FUN! :crazy:

Wiki page on A-4 says that among other stuff A-4E and the later versions were fitted with

toss-bombing computer, and AJB-3A low-altitude bombing system

What are those two supposed to mean and is there any assistance to bombing aim in A-4? Maybe I just don't see it... :dntknw:

BTW, WOI manual says that A-4H were Israeli special model, but same wiki page says it was A-4F.

What are those two supposed to mean and is there any assistance to bombing aim in A-4? Maybe I just don't see it... :dntknw:

BTW, WOI manual says that A-4H were Israeli special model, but same wiki page says it was A-4F.

I join this question - most A-4H were equipped with CCIP or Continuously Calculated Impact Point aimpoint. Is there any possibility of using this aimpoint in WOI?

My first impressions after DL'ing: the brakes are quite "efficient", in comparison to previous versions. I don't really think they are realistic...

As for graphics, I've installed it on my notebook, equipped with AMD Turion 64x2 and Geforce 6100, I had to downgrade the details to medium and the resolution to 1072 x 768 to keep a steady ca. 30-35 FPS (with high details and 1280 x 800 it was from 10-25 FPS).

There are no bombing aids like LABs, DIANNE, Dive toss etc - mostly you have to work out your own dive bombing and level bombing approaches - however CCIP is implemented in the later jets such as the A-10 - so some one nice would have to modify the HUD to get it working.

Ok... got it :blush: Still, it's strange that all those radars give no aid for bombing.

Hey, I got out of this alive and even in one piece!

post-21726-1203946881_thumb.jpg

Half of them wasted ammo and missiles and headed home. While others were turning around I dropped the tanks and hit AB at low atlitude. Landed on nearest friendly airbase avoiding last missile already on approach... :crazy:

Ok... got it :blush: Still, it's strange that all those radars give no aid for bombing.

Its really not that strange. Even the most advanced systems of the 1960s such as that in the A-6 relied on calculating the target position as an offset from a known point that could be discerned by the radar--a terrain feature, or something like that. So, if the target was 2 miles from, lets say, a large hill, the coordinates of the target would be entered into the system using that hill as a reference point. Then you needed an accurate, calibrated Inertial Navigation System to tell the aircraft where you were in relation to those coordinates. As you can imagine, it was not very accurate.

I'm not talking about target position, automatic bomb release etc. Airspeed + radar altitude + relatively known bomb/rocket flightpath + CPU = caculation of impact point on supposedly flat terrain. In WOI Kfir's radar works that way, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not talking about target position, automatic bomb release etc. Airspeed + radar altitude + relatively known bomb/rocket flightpath + CPU = caculation of impact point on supposedly flat terrain. In WOI Kfir's radar works that way, if I'm not mistaken.

One would need considerable computing power which was unavailable in the 1950s, too bulky in the early 60s (the A-6 again, for example) and just started to become miniaturized enough in the late 1960s to become practical. What you are asking for is a CCIP, which started to appear in advanced strike aircraft in about 1968 with the A-7D.

Ok.. and TK said it were later variants that got some advanced avionics. :sorry:

Just noticed that when you select bombs or rockets the sight stays the same but shifts to a lower position to help aim a little. And that's why you can't hit a thing with gun when rockets are active. So Skyhawk has some sort of rudimentary aiming assist... :wink:

Ok.. and TK said it were later variants that got some advanced avionics. :sorry:

Just noticed that when you select bombs or rockets the sight stays the same but shifts to a lower position to help aim a little. And that's why you can't hit a thing with gun when rockets are active. So Skyhawk has some sort of rudimentary aiming assist... :wink:

Thats been there from SFP1 days - best to just use it as a reference for your real drop point :)

From what i remember - when dive bombing in Flight Of the Intruder (an old game) you would set the MIL setting depending on dive angle and altitude which would move the sight to a more accurate location when bombing - so I assume its trying to represent that in a very basic way.

As for rockets best to strafe - im sure the sight may be acurate for a spit second at a certain altitude/distance depending on the speed you are travelling!

Edited by CoolHand29

LABS was designed for lobbing nukes (the A-4's original role was as nuclear bomber) and doesn't serve much purpose in conventional warfare. At least, it didn't until the invention of guided missiles/JDAMs that could conceivably use them now.

I remember toss bombing in Tornado. Following those HUD cues precisely enough to get a hit at long range was HARD.

LABS is basically all about timing and flying a precise profile at a precise speed. There is a very good description of it in Rampant Raider.