Sign in to follow this  
column5

Wings Over Israel [Official Thread]

Just been reading 'First In, Last Out', the story of the Wild Weasels. There is a description of a MiG trap laid by a Sidewinder-armed F-105 WW flight, with a 12-strong flight of F-4s masquerading as the follow-up F-105 strike force. MiGs, including 21s came up to greet them. It is instructive reading how many Sparrows and Sidewinders were expended by 16 fighters for a nil result, and how difficult and restricted the parameters were for the Thuds' Sidewinders. TK's got it right, it seems.

Yabut, that was in `68 with "B" model Sidewinders and "A" model Sparrows.

In `82, the "L's" were up, and had all aspect, so should have a bit more of a clue versus something maneuvering more than straight and level.

Ah, well, we do have a weapons editor now, time to see if this can be fixed...

I was quite stoked today when I recovered from a flat spin using anti-spin inputs. Hands off didn't work this time, so it was a matter of opposite rudder and full pull on the stick. This game keeps gettin' better.

Ok... :blush:

Guys (and girl) how do you manage to fly Mirage? When I'm in control that's more of an unguided rocket. Can't roll, pitch input leads to turbulence and complete loss of lift. Not to mention lack of any air-to-ground targeting assistance. SEAD missions in Six Days War are real pain in the...

Ahh the joys of 50s/60s jets - like the F-100 and F-104 practise, practise, practise and forget trying to just pull the stick back and trying to turn in a d/f

:rolleyes:

Theres an article on A-G weps techniques from Andy Bush here that may help you http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

Guest Bounder

say any one remember this?

Edited by Gr.Viper

To put youtube vid here you just need to put its id in tags. No need for embed code or even links.

not complaining or any thing. Well.....

.....I guess I'm just used to the Mirage Factory one but.....

:blink:

Why's the default Mirage IIICJ Shahak fly and maneuver almost like an F-100? [especially on Hard difficulty]

I know she can't outmaneuver Frescoes or Farmers [or Hunters for that matter :no: ]

.....But she should have them beat in the saddle at least

.....Or dazzle them with her speed and sparkling rate of climb... :biggrin:

once again, not complaining. but ummm get at me about that. :ok:

Mighound

First of all it works in Vista with a simple edit. I have Vista and I am running it. The Knowledge Base tells you how to do it.

Also check the official thread for any additional information on "merging" installs

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=25645

hehehe... thanks for the heads up. But, I'm just being a knob, anyway.

I'm just a firm believer in the idea of getting into a new O.S. after two or three service packs, down the road.

It bothers me that they unleash an unproven O.S. on the public that is rife with bugs and compatibility issues.

Vista, in it's condition, now, is a disaster. There is something to be said, when a major company like Dell, goes back to featuring XP Pro or XP-MCE for all their new systems. Microsoft is dropping the price of Vista down to under $200 and XP is over $400. They're trying to ram it down our throats.

Guest Bounder
not complaining or any thing. Well.....

.....I guess I'm just used to the Mirage Factory one but.....

:blink:

Why's the default Mirage IIICJ Shahak fly and maneuver almost like an F-100? [especially on Hard difficulty]

I know she can't outmaneuver Frescoes or Farmers [or Hunters for that matter :no: ]

.....But she should have them beat in the saddle at least

.....Or dazzle them with her speed and sparkling rate of climb... :biggrin:

once again, not complaining. but ummm get at me about that. :ok:

MAY NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wXFADxHNfK4

Guest Bounder
To put youtube vid here you just need to put its id in tags. No need for embed code or even links.

tried ,but didn't work for me.

hehehe... thanks for the heads up. But, I'm just being a knob, anyway.

I'm just a firm believer in the idea of getting into a new O.S. after two or three service packs, down the road.

It bothers me that they unleash an unproven O.S. on the public that is rife with bugs and compatibility issues.

Vista, in it's condition, now, is a disaster. There is something to be said, when a major company like Dell, goes back to featuring XP Pro or XP-MCE for all their new systems. Microsoft is dropping the price of Vista down to under $200 and XP is over $400. They're trying to ram it down our throats.

Sorry, but that is just wrong. VISTA is more stable than any other MS system. And Dell? I would not buy a computer from them if they were the last computer makers in the world. The drivers for VISTA are much better today than when it first came out. SP1 will be released about March 18th, I have been using VISTA for about a year now and have had not one "Blue Screen of Death" yet. With XP, that happen four times in the first two weeks I had it. I remember when XP came out, the same story as today......"Don't buy it!!!"

Anyone managed to get their canopy animations to work?

I've tried as per the KB, no joy...

Lets not turn this into a Vista v XP discussion either, cheers.

tried ,but didn't work for me.

Edited your post. Look how it should be done :wink:

:biggrin:

MAY NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wXFADxHNfK4

.....already watched that. :mellow:

i know it's not as powerful as an F-4, but i simply figured that she would be better with fighting vertically.....

...and she's not doing that very well.... :dntknw:

now that MIRAGE FACTORY SHAHAK :biggrin:

...that's da machine ta f--- with..... :good:

btw GREAT MACHINE whoever made that, you know who you are :biggrin:

Hows everyone finding the AI in WOI?

Was thinking of dling it today but http://www.thirdwire.com/ seems to be down at the mo

Had to reinstall my graphics drivers yesterday - and tested WOV out to check it ran ok. Have the Uber AI mod and new lethal flak mod - but they didnt stop me - even decided to down 3 x Mig 21s on my way home - they were all turning as well and trying to fight (in the best way they can) but I guess my stock A-7B was just to agile and fast for them. 2 with guns - 1 after firing both winders from the tail

How did I get on his tail! - I should have been easy meat for those chumps! wasnt even using trackIR :lol:

I don't have THE PAY PAL, so no WoI here, maybe get somebody to buy it for me, pay them back, or wait for an equivalent SF upgrade, or better if TK would take mail order and send a download key or whatever it takes.

I know your pain, sadly same here.

Well, as the commercial goes, 'I'm lovin' it!'

Two minor nitpicks though:

1 What happened to the refueling probe on the F-4E that was in the preview pics? It was first used experimentally in 1973 and then introduced fleet-wide from 1981, so it should have been available in the Lebanon campaign. I thought TK might have had another version of the Kurnass like he included multiple A-4E & H versions.

2 Where's the hangar music gone!

Well, as the commercial goes, 'I'm lovin' it!'

Two minor nitpicks though:

1 What happened to the refueling probe on the F-4E that was in the preview pics? It was first used experimentally in 1973 and then introduced fleet-wide from 1981, so it should have been available in the Lebanon campaign. I thought TK might have had another version of the Kurnass like he included multiple A-4E & H versions.

1. Saw a thread about that at thirdwire the other day - TK did research the subject and took it off - I think the majority of F-4s didnt have it or something

2. Would have thought you can stick the hangar music back in if you miss it that much :)

Hows everyone finding the AI in WOI?

I find the AI much more challenging..as are most reports in this thread. They beam you now when you fire a missile. Also gun kills are sharply harder for me to come by now.

Remember also that the arab pilots were taught to fly by the Soviet method...ie. When you first enter the cockpit, stick your head in the radar screen and only remove it when you turn the engine off if I understand correctly. Also remember, that in real life, you meet newby pilots who just don't fly that well.

Frankly, WOI is strongly worth the money. Secondly, if people don't buy it...they won't be made anymore.

If TK patches WOV and WOE to WOI FM and AI level, I'll buy them too :yes:

*I shouldn't stick so many abbreviations in one line :crazy: *

If TK patches WOV and WOE to WOI FM and AI level, I'll buy them too :yes:

*I shouldn't stick so many abbreviations in one line :crazy: *

Not a matter of if, but when. :good:

Just added a cockpit to the MiG-23BN and MiG-23MF.

The MiG-23BN just doesn't fly at all. Mine goes into a gentle right roll and won't respond to control inputs in roll.

The rudder is also wrong - it needs :

RotationAxis=Z-Axis // needs adding

//ReverseModelOrientation=FALSE

ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

..but even then just doesn't respond.

The MiG-23MF just won't turn. Seems like FM needs a tweek. I know the MiG-23 was a poor performer but compared to the WoE MiG-23's this one's just plain weird.

Tried the above FMs in Normal and Hard modes - same overall result.

Other than that - great fun! :good:

No WoI here yet....so...

AI beaming player radar: Does the AI beam AI SAHM missile attacks? Or is this feature restricted to AI beaming player plane only, or perhaps player squadron's aircraft? When I get any flight sim upgrade, the first thing I do is run tests on the AI vs AI, no player involved (player sits on runway across the map) with a mission editor for creating test setups. Right now, no Paypal so no WoI for me yet!!

AI beaming player radar: Does the AI beam AI SAHM missile attacks? Or is this feature restricted to AI beaming player plane only, or perhaps player squadron's aircraft?

It beams you (the player) after you fire either a SAHM or an AHM, but if they break your lock and you've already launched an AHM, it's too late for them most of the time. I haven't had any wingman fire at BVR, but within visual range it's tough to say. I've had them fire AIM-7's but in close they miss easily. Even AIM-9's aren't as good as they used to be, but then we finally have to follow missile envelopes and not just fire 40*off angle and get a hit.

NQ4: Any way to make canopy open? I found in A-4F data.ini that it already has animationID assigned... :blink:

Edit: Oh, wait.. I should create a system for it as in here? http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=24370

That's what I did and it wouldn't have it.

Never mind. :dntknw: