Sign in to follow this  
ordway

Mig-15Bis/Mig-17 cockpit near completion

I don´t want to be the bad guy, but the pits are missing the upper canopy frame/rearview mirror... They must be there! Sorry! The Mig-15 colors should be a light blue instead. Anyway, nice work indeed!! :clapping::ok:

...The Mig-15 colors should be a light blue instead....

Are you sure? Cause I've seen 3 different MiG-15, and they all had black instrument panels.

And it begins.

BTW ordway, this is an excellent mod, and I, for one, am glad we finally have one. :clapping:

I don´t want to be the bad guy, but the pits are missing the upper canopy frame/rearview mirror... They must be there! Sorry!

Nothing MUST be anywhere. You don't like it? Don't download it. This is a virtual pit in a virtual aircraft in a virtual world. It could be pink polka dots with a puke green and brown ADI.

Don't ever take a demanding tone as to what a mod NEEDS. About the only thing a mod NEEDS is a coherent readme.

FastCargo

Cockpit1.jpg

I think that gunsight might look something more like that....

but

regarding MiG-17...

MiG-17 "Fresco-A" was fitted with the ASP-4N Sneg (Snow) radar gunsight, which was a copy of the US AN/APG-30 used on the F-86 Sabre. A sample was obtained from an F-86A that crash-landed behind Red lines in Korea in 1951. Several machines only was fitted with this gunsight.

Otherwise - nice job

Edited by starfighter2

There is a Mig-15/bis pit in MiG Alley... But it's scaaary..

I don´t want to be the bad guy, but the pits are missing the upper canopy frame/rearview mirror... They must be there! Sorry! The Mig-15 colors should be a light blue instead. Anyway, nice work indeed!! :clapping::ok:

Ha, Ha, Ha, you're joking right? :rofl:

See actual photos at the beginning of this thread.

and for your "but the pits are missing the upper canopy frame/rearview mirror... ":

'In addition the Mig-15 had no rearview mirror in the cockpit'" -Korean war combat Mig-15 pilot No Kum-Sok in book entitled "A Mig-15 to Freedom", No Kum-Sok, McFarland. p.102.

"So, where YOUR evidence???!!!"

At least I do my homework.

That is a true reference. :yes:

Edited by ordway

I never looked close enough to notice... but given the photos... clearly a modded pit made to resemble a MiG-15/17?

The repaint is welcome (better than seeing a standard A-4 pit for sure), but I was thinking of a genuine scratch built 3d model.

Using some of the modder tricks, the A-4 pit could even have some items removed/relocated to make the pit more like a MiG-15/17.

So, If I send you the cockpit, can you finish modding it...and stay true to the photos (just give me credit for at least some of the work).

Actually there is a way :wink: :

[RotateADI]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=ADI housing

MovementType=ROTATION_Y

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=180.0

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=180.0

Set[02].Value=1.0

[RotateADI_watermark]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=ADI_watermark

MovementType=ROTATION_Z

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=180.0

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=180.0

Set[02].Value=1.0

Thanks for your input. Brilliant find. I put this into my Mig-15 cockpit...and it reversed all right! Now when I dive, it shows that the airplane indicator is climbing above the horizon line and when I dive it shows that the airplane is climbing above the horizon line.

Are you sure...anyone join it...that this is right? I sure don't remember this opposite, reversed ADI movement together when I flew the Mig-17. This is guaranteed to cause a crash. Frankly, I have over 600 hours and an instrument rating and I simply don't believe that this is the correct movement...how many hours do you have?

Superb stuff !

Best not try any instrument flying with that topsy-turvy-whacky-russkie artificial horizon. :blink:

Waiting patiently for your release, ordway. Looks great, no matter what it is. You've obviously done your homework, and I hope it will be released soon. Despite its somewhat evil reputation, the Mig-15 is one of my favorite aircraft, and this pit is well worth waiting for. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into it.

Heck

Ordway, please release pit, still much better then no-modded A-4 pit, nice work and much time involved there for sure.

Cheers

Thanks for your input. Brilliant find. I put this into my Mig-15 cockpit...and it reversed all right! Now when I dive, it shows that the airplane indicator is climbing above the horizon line and when I dive it shows that the airplane is climbing above the horizon line.

Are you sure...anyone join it...that this is right? I sure don't remember this opposite, reversed ADI movement together when I flew the Mig-17. This is guaranteed to cause a crash. Frankly, I have over 600 hours and an instrument rating and I simply don't believe that this is the correct movement...how many hours do you have?

The russian word "Подьем" in the blue section means "rise", and the russian word "Спуск" in the brown section means "descent". Besides I have the MiG-17 flight manual, so I based my affirmation on that... though I could have interpreted it wrong, it's all in russian! :haha:

It also shows a gunsight that is different to the one you have, but I think it could be attributed to field variability of these russian pits

The russian word "Подьем" in the blue section means "rise", and the russian word "Спуск" in the brown section means "descent". Besides I have the MiG-17 flight manual, so I based my affirmation on that... though I could have interpreted it wrong, it's all in russian! :haha:

It also shows a gunsight that is different to the one you have, but I think it could be attributed to field variability of these russian pits

What the hell were the Russians thinking when they did that? :haha:

Edited by Wolf65

I believe the reason for it is pretty simple: from an engineer's point of view it's probably easier to achieve than the traditional ADI

If you compare the aspect of the ball at any given attitude of the plane, the ball appears to be "fixed" to the rest of the world, if that makes sense

Now I am flummoxed. That thinking (not yours but the interpretation) is not just Russian but much farther east-Chinese!)

I'm not saying that this is impossible...but I wish there were other references to verify this Chinese jigsaw puzzle one way or another...this is positively the weirdest thing I've ever seen in aviation in thirty years if true (and it might be true).

I'm flabbergasted.

Ordway,

I'm with ya on that one my friend...absolutely counter-intuitive from what I learned with.

Heck, I was scratching my head the first time I encountered the Su-27 HUD...where the plane moved and the horizon stayed steady...so you could never match what you saw with the outside...

FastCargo

I believe the reason for it is pretty simple: from an engineer's point of view it's probably easier to achieve than the traditional ADI

If you compare the aspect of the ball at any given attitude of the plane, the ball appears to be "fixed" to the rest of the world, if that makes sense

Paladrian,

I sincerely appreciate all the input you have given...and I have changed some things in the Mig cockpit due to your good information.

Is it possible (and I don't know), that they put the word "descend" on the climb half so that it is a warning to the pilot that he must descend to get back to the horizon and vice versa?

I've publicly laid my cards out in this thread. I've posted photos of everything I've said. Can you do the same please. This is like a scientific journal where we can back up what we say with evidence for all to see and analyze.

Can you please copy and post that page of the Mig-17 manual which shows the artificial horizon with the lettering in this thread...just so that I know I'm not going nuts and we can all maybe analyze it.

If I am going public with this batty reverse-color-upside-down-working Mig-15 artificial horizon (and I will if you can post your picture so I can back up my bizzare story!), then I am going to need your help... I'm still in shock... :blink:

Thanks,

Edited by ordway

I think that gunsight might look something more like that....

but

regarding MiG-17...

MiG-17 "Fresco-A" was fitted with the ASP-4N Sneg (Snow) radar gunsight, which was a copy of the US AN/APG-30 used on the F-86 Sabre. A sample was obtained from an F-86A that crash-landed behind Red lines in Korea in 1951. Several machines only was fitted with this gunsight.

Otherwise - nice job

Starfighter 2, do you own that FS mig-15 package? What happens when you climb with the horizontal indicator? Does it show that you are diving? Please, please post a picture of when you are climbing with that horizontal indicator!

Thanks, I'm grasping at straws here.

Edited by HrntFixr
Do NOT repost pics in reply's!

Well, I think that Mago(Paladrian) is right, I don't have FS2004/FSX installed at moment, yes I have Bear Studios MiG-15 package, and as long as I can recall, Paladrian is right about MiG ADI "the ball appears to be "fixed" to the rest of the world"

F1_MIG15_16.jpg

F1_MIG15_10.jpg

F1_MIG15_12.jpg

F1_MIG15_14.jpg

AKG-47B ADI have pitch indicator line, which tells you possition of the plane, in real life it have two switch modes -

1 - adjust pitch indicator

2 - cage

it must be turned on first, of course :smile:

F1_MIG15_32.jpg

Edited by starfighter2

Yeah, right Gr. Viper :smile:

MiG-15_cp_580.jpg

Edited by starfighter2

You guys are amazing, I have learned more about Mig pits in this thread than I have in my years modding this sim. Interesting stuff.